Favorite authors or series

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Free Bud, Jul 20, 2006.

1. "Cien años de soledad" by Gabriel García Marquez is my favourite book of all time. It is translated into English. It's not quite fantasy but "realismo mágico" which needs no translation. Give it a go!

2. BoomBoomBoom

BoomBoomBoom Member

I looked that up but didn't really find that interesting . I did more research though and that fairy godmother academy has chapters to read online, the series seems great too www.fairygodmotheracademy.com did you hear of it yet?

3. toxic_sweetheart

toxic_sweetheart Member

my three favorite authors/series:
    David Eddings the Belgariad and Mallorean
    R.A. Salvatore all
    Sara Douglass The Axis Trilogy and Wayfarer Redemption. I just totally get into the the whole realm of Achar and Faraday and Axis...really really great reads!!

4. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time
    Robert Asprin - Myth Adventures
    Terry Goodkind- Sword of Truth
    Piers Anthony - Apprentice Adept

plus tons more that I only remember when I see them...

Anne McCaffrey - The Dragonriders of Pern (havent read any of the recent ones though.
    J. R. R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings
    Jean M Auel - Earth's Children, and I totally agree with the comment about the endless detail, except I would change it to be endless repeated detail. Sorta like watching those old cartoons that were 10 minutes long, and the first four minutes was a rehash of the last one...
    Terry Brooks - Shannara, I remember reading these and enjoying them, but I can't remember a thing about them

I used to read a lot of short stories also, but they drove me nuts, even on the bad ones, I wanted to read more... lol

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

After I've read everything related to the Song of ice and fire I can't find something that's equally great..

Something I did really enjoy though was Die elfen by Bernhard Hennen. I don't know if it's been translated to english yet.
    It seems to be part of some series (which are not connected by the way, as it looks so far) by different writers, focussing on the different wellknown fantasy creatures.
    So far I red a couple about the dwarfs (first, because when I saw them I thought fucking cool, a fantasy serie centering around the dwarfs), but it was slightly dissappointing in writing style, story, etc. Then I though I gave the elves a try as well, as it was by a different author and it was pretty damn entertaining in my opinion. Might go look for the sequel.

[​IMG]

sequel:

[​IMG]

The ones about the dwarfs were written by Markus Heitz:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Marlie1294

Marlie1294 Guest

I just started these books and I love em!!! they're awesome!!! and if you didn't know there is a tv show based on these books. It is called " Legend of the Seeker". This tv show is probably one of my favorite!! Have alot of fun reading !

7. sarasmile

sarasmile Member

Terry Goodkind " Sword of Truth" series is actually quite good. My other favorite is the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix. It crosses fantasy and zombies .... it's awesome!! Another author I'm nuts about is Tamora Pierce. She's a teen fantasy but the quality of writing is fantastic!!

Cheers
    Sara

puerto vallarta hotels, Mexico Vacations.

8. Malvenkemo

Malvenkemo Member

I struggle to pick favourites with anything. I'd definately recommend Robert Rankin though, he's an amazing author. Douglas Adams is utterly brilliant too.

Oh the Wheel Of Time series is good, though I've never managed to finish it. I may see if I can find where I left off before and try and get through it all sometime soon.

9. MissBHave

MissBHave insert clever phrase here

Tom Robbins!!

10. ~*~Elle~*~

~*~Elle~*~ Member

Never heard of them...

Right now I am reading the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell Hamilton.

I am re-reading the Thomas Covenant books because a new trilogy is coming out and it's been awhile.

11. Kohhna

Kohhna Member

Gene Wolfe's books of the new sun are very good. David Gemmells Rigante books are much less intellectual, but very good reads.

I'm reading Stan Nichols Orc trilogy atm, and thoroughly enjoying it.

12. Allie_oop

Allie_oop Member

If you want to read stories that set the foundation for modern horror try H.P.Lovecraft, Algernon Blackwood(huge influence of Lovecraft), and Poe.

Lovecraft can be racist, but if you can get around that his stories are very interesting and fairly well written. He's the one that wrote the Cthulhu Mythos that can be found referenced by almost every major horror writer, King especially.

When it comes to style, Blackwood is even better. 'The Glamor of the Snow', 'The Wendigo', and 'The Willows' are all very interesting. You can find both him and Lovecraft online.

As for the more modern I would have to say Tolkien is a mainstay. The Dragonlance ones tend to be interesting but the best are Chronicles and the twins' trilogy. 'Soulfourge' is also quite good.

'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King is a must.

The feel I must also mention 'The Dark is Rising' by Susan Cooper. Very good, even if they are children's books. 'Abarat' (two books so far) by Clive Barker is pretty good too.

13. stupidnamenoonecaress

stupidnamenoonecaress Member

the wheel of time by robert jordan is good. itll take you over a year nonstop to read the whole series tho.

14. Valdis

Valdis Member

This year I read every Octavia Butler novel my libraries had. She was an awesome writer!

Her two parable books are among my favs. Her vamp book is pretty cool and different as well.

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Stephen King is my guilty pleasure.
    Just started reading the Dark Tower.

16. AJ84

AJ84 Member

my favorite in the fantasy department well that would be David Eddings -The Redemption of Althalus, David Gemmell - Drenai Series, Anne Rice - the vampire chronical books and of course LOTR.
    got lots of others that are good but these four is my favorites.

17. beatlebug

beatlebug Member

I'm so glad someone mentioned the Thomas Covenant series! I'm on book two of the second chronicles... absolutely fucking brilliant! I like Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin...

18. LiveeviL

LiveeviL Member

Terry Pratchett's Discworld is my favorite series by far.
    I'm also going to get into George R.R. Martin's fire and Ice saga, because I just finnished the first season of the HBO show Game of Thrones and loved it. apparently the books are awesome so, gotta read those.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You have to, the books are even more awesome :biggrin: