Favorite authors or series

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Free Bud, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Lhiya

Lhiya Member

Hi together

I like Marion Zimmer Bradleys books Harry Potter Belgariad Series by David Eddings Earthsea Triology but still am looking for more cool Fantasy Books.

Ah and Dark Sorceress by Mary Herbert.

Bye Lhiya

2. perfectchicken

perfectchicken Guest

I know it sounds corny, but I've always liked reading Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms books. The writing isn't amazingly good, but it paints an exciting picture of the world of DnD.

3. firstdeath.finaldeath

firstdeath.finaldeath Member

My all time favourite author is Terry Pratchett, particularly the Discworld Series. Following closely is Hunter S. Thompson, Anne Bishop, Jacqueline Carey and Neil Gaiman.

4. Rasputain1

Rasputain1 Member

My favourite author would have to be Terry Goodkind and his Sword of Truth series. I'd strongly recommend anyone to read that ^^

After Terry I'd have to say would be David Gemmell.. Not really any specific book as I love all of them :)

Third would be Jean M Auel, Earth's Children series is brilliant except for the pages and pages of endless detail

5. MindingMyOwnBeeswax

MindingMyOwnBeeswax Member

I can't believe the name Lord Dunsany came up. I must've been reading his work back when I was 19 ... (oh, just a few years ago) ... and by somebody named Jurgen ... wow, I was reading James Branch Cabell about the same time. It was a very good time ... I will therefore keep a sharp eye out for Lud-in-the-Mist. I love threads recommending good reading. I would agree with most people on here about good authors; of course, we all have our particular likes and dislikes, but a whole lot of the ones mentioned on here I have liked, (if not LOVED) TOO.

6. french_reader

french_reader Guest

Hi,
    I'm french like my name.
    I adore the author Marion Zimmer Bradley and Robin Hobb.
    Only, I'v read the book in french. I hope to read books in English and i hope to write in this forum will help me to english.

Sorry for mistake in this text.:(

By,
    French_reader

7. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

stephen king and his dark tower series. :D

8. Frozen Solid

Frozen Solid Member

The obvious choices are Tolkien, and Rowling. Other than those I tend to be more of a technology based fantasy reader than a magic based one. I have loved everything that Timothy Zahn has ever written in the Star Wars universe, Jack McDevitt is amazing particularly Engines of God and Polaris. He writes two seperate series in two similar but seperate universes. Another series I loved was the Holy Grail series by Steven Lawhead. It starts with Talesin, the father of Merlin and proceeds through the Arthurian legend that we have all heard. This is the definitive Arthurian book series in my opinion.

9. Sweetart_Katie

Sweetart_Katie Member

Those are some great books!
    I have a weakness for Tad Williams. The Otherland series was amazing. Really gets into your head. Also the Memory, sorrow, and thorn series.

I so dig The Dragonriders of Pern. I can't believe how many people have never read it! :)

And what about "Dune"? Those books are pretty trippy.

10. Valdis

Valdis Member

I loved the Pern books for a while. I wanted to do a role play game based on it. 20 years later I found one but now I don't remember the books well enough. LOL.

11. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

i like kevin brooks.

12. Tisha Mc

Tisha Mc Banned

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's really interesting to read his other books and see where they cross-over into Roland's world.

13. AerialReaver

AerialReaver Member

I totally agree, its the best series I've read as well

14. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

I've got to add the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (although I've talked about it elsewhere in these forums) - I'm on book 3 'the wastelands' at the moment (page 250 to be precise) - but luckily I have all 7 books in the series just sitting on the shelf waiting to be indulged in - and I can't wait!
    The story so far is amazing, the books themselves hard to put down - and a plot you actually feel a part of.
    As a massive King fan who's read plenty of his books; I feel this is a new direction for him and in no way is that a bad thing, as he is pulling off his take on fantasy very well - while at the same time maintaining 'the King edge'.
    Can't wait to progress through the series!

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I digged Eyes of the dragon of King, so I guess I should try his other fantasy as well :cheers2:

16. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Yeah man I've got that and surprisingly enough, leant it to a friend to read before giving him the gunslinger (book one in the DT series) - but he loved eyes of the dragon. Flagg has been mentioned so far in the dark tower series, and as it stands I can spy a link between the eyes of the dragon and the dark tower itself - quite a significant link, regarding the circumstances. If there's a confrontation with a dragon when roland the gunslinger finally reaches the dark tower; then i've envisioned the defining link already on just books 2/3..

17. ~*~Elle~*~

~*~Elle~*~ Member

Stephen R. Donaldson - Thomas Covenant Chronicles
    Terry Brooks - All the Shannara books (easy reading)
    Robert Jordan (RIP) - I read the first 6 books and gave up. Books 1 thru 4 were good...and then *yawn*

18. Sweetart_Katie

Sweetart_Katie Member

Good book! Kinda creepy tho...

19. Hilder

Hilder The Ganja Queen

fave author is Orson scott card. The alvin maker series, and patricia mcphillip with the riddle-master trilogy.

20. BoomBoomBoom

BoomBoomBoom Member

oh yeah, they were good!
    Also, that series "The secrets of the Immortal" .. did you ever read that? I am on summer break too and need to find a few new books too. I found The Fairy Godmother Academy which looks interesting too! but it's not out yet. Have you heard of any of those?