Favorite authors or series

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Free Bud, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Morganna

Morganna Member

Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings

A Series of Unfortunate Events
    its supposed to be tragic but the narrative voice is funny. He breaks in in the middle of the story and starts talking about the oddest things going on in his life then goes back to the tale as if nothing happened. They are easy to read and it actually teaches you new words in the process.

2. Valdis

Valdis Member

I adored those books in the Farseer and Golden Man series by Robin Hobb.

*sighs*

I want more.

I LOVED the bolded ones above too!

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

If you haven't tried Piers Anthony's Xanth series, try them they have well developed characters that you care about and a sense of humor.

I agree with most of the choices already mentioned also.

4. elayne

elayne no longer available

Thanks, you all gave me some to look for!
    My favorite series in the Fantasy catagory would be:

Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Darkover" and "Avalon" series
    Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time"
    George R R Martin's "Song of Ice & Fire"
    Margaret Weis' "Dragonvarld" Trilogy
    Christopher Paolini's "Inheritance" Trilogy

5. cason951

cason951 Member

Stephenie Meyer is amazing. read her books.

6. Fallen

Fallen Member

Raymond E. Feist, Ian Irvine, Frank Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz, J.V. Jones to name a few.

7. nolifer

nolifer Member

i love the His Dark Materials trilogy, i'd also like to get my hands on the Dark Tower series and the MtG novels

8. elayne

elayne no longer available

For me, The Dark Tower series was great up until like number seven I think, then I started frustrated with where is was going with the story.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

My favourites:

Tolkien, I dig all of his stuff really, but the Middle earth related books made him my absolute favourite. Excellent style, no concessions! The writing style of the Hobbit is so great as well, it's like a fairytale instead of a fantasy novel. :)

Hobb. Especially the Farseer and the Living ships trilogy. Just amazing in every aspect (fantasy, style, story)! The Golden man (Tawny man actually!) trilogy was a bit less interesting in my opinion. After reading the Farseer trilogy I actually waited a long time for starting with the Living ships, cause the idea of living ships seemed just rather lousy to me. So, I was pretty wrong, I loved these books!

Katherine Kerr for her Deverry novels. Superb celtic inspired fantasy with a medieval touch to it. Very well written and amazing storyline.

I always see Feist and Goodkind being named as favourites everywhere. I really don't understand why. My favourite book of Feist is Fairytale. Those books that go on about the world in Midkemia really couldn't hold my attention and even Magician was alright but not fantastic to me. Ah well, maybe they're a bit too american? ;)

10. nananie

nananie Member

yeah together with tracy hickman, i love the death gate cycle trilogy...

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I really liked the Doomsword trilogy of Weis & Hickman. That fourth book that came later was a bummer though. Other series by them I've red were also entertaining and interesting, but always a bit far fetched and over the top (for me!).

12. nolifer

nolifer Member

ok, i started with The Dark Tower series and so far, i LOVE it! Even though i only finished the second book earlier today and have no money to buy the third one...

13. MindingMyOwnBeeswax

MindingMyOwnBeeswax Member

Nobody's mentioned Garth Nix, Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen ... yet. Somehow they really grab me ... I've read 'em all at least a couple of times. And don't forget ... Terry Pratchett! He's still going strong. And yeah, I love the Xanth series.

14. jamphan-56

jamphan-56 Member

I just finished Terry Brooks, Sword of Shannara. I thought it was ace. Don't know why I waited so long to read that one. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.

15. ladydragon282

ladydragon282 Member

I like a lot of books and a whole lot of authors, but some of my favorites are as follows:

Alice Borchardt- I was honestly shocked to see her listed on someone else's list. I tell people about her and they are usually like "Who?" Anyway, her Wolf King series, and the two in the Guinevere series, are in my opinion, brilliant.

Brandon Sanderson-He was tapped to finish Jordan's Wheel of Time series, but honestly, I found him through Melanie Rawn's website, where he posted a few times. His books are amazing.

Melanie Rawn-Fantastic woman, and her writing isn't bad either ;) I love her Exiles series, unfortunately unfinished, her new Spellbinder series, and the Dragon Prince/Dragon Star series. Her characters are fantastic.

Anne McCaffrey-Sorry if I spelled her last name wrong, I get it messed up all the time :( But, her Pern series, and the Crystal Singer trilogy were some of the first to pull me back into fantasy.

And of course the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books by Tolkein. Honestly, I haven't read anything else by him, but I have a special place in my heart for The Hobbit. It was the first fantasy book that I ever picked up and read, and it hooked me on the genre for life.

Since I do also read some young adult books, I am also very fond of Harry Potter. I find many of the lessons in these books to be important ones, and the fact that the writing isn't bad either is another good point for me.

There are others, of course, but those are my tops right now :)

16. rotex

rotex Member

Robert Jordan is the best i have read, Goodkind is great, althugh his main character always seems to figure sometin out at the last minute, kinda vexin sometimes. Another good one is Jim Butcher, expecially his Codex Alera series, which is up to 4 books sofar they come out every yr. I think Fiest sucks and Salvatory's Drittz Trilogy kinda sucked to me, the main character was alittle too good for my liking, so i stopped reading him. But i got alot of great suggestion from the board thnx.

17. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Stephen Kings - Dark Tower Series is my fav of all time. I also like his Green Miles Series.

18. hamish...

hamish... Member

author -dan abnett.

my favourite books by him - the malus darkblade series. really great stuff. loats of hard fighting, death, torture, war, deep thought, intricate twists and plts, family feuds, political struggles wriggled in through the story. they have everything.

19. Jurgen

Jurgen Member

Anything by Lord Dunsany is awesome. Lud-in-the-Mist is probably the book that made the biggest impression on me. The Once and Future King, The Worm Ouroboros, Lord of the Rings,The Book of the Three Dragons, Neverwhere. Like someone mentioned before the Sabriel series is really good, especially if you liked His Dark Materials kind of remineded me a bit of that series.I just started reading the Locke Lamora series which is really good. Gene Wolfe's Shadow and Claw is a classic and his Soldier of the Mist Series. The Goremnghast series is also good too. Many many more I could mention, I love good fantasy books.

20. hitsuzen

hitsuzen Member

It's so hard to pick a favorite! I think my top three would be (in no particular order)
    Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
    Rowling's Harry Potter
    Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon

Though I'm 2/3 through with the Sevenwaters trilogy and am absolotely loving it....