Favorite albums from bands which are not their Best Selling/Most Popular

Discussion in 'Music' started by guerillabedlam, Feb 20, 2018.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Post your favorite Albums from bands which was not their Most Popular or Best Selling. Add a blurb as to why you prefer the album if you want...

I'll start with Master of Reality from Black Sabbath. Paranoid is the more renowned record with 3 great anthems in War Pigs, Paranoid, and Iron Man, there is no denying it has an extremely strong first side. However the second side is less cohesive, with less compelling songs and a more meandering feel.

Master of Reality has only 2 songs that I'd consider anthems, Sweet Leaf and Children of the Grave. But The latter, along with several other songs on this record such as Lord of this World and Into the Void capture a ferocity and tightness that makes this album feel more definitively Metal. There are a couple filler tracks but they are brief, basically interludes and spread out throughout the album which makes the flow of the album in it's entire scope more seamless.

Asmodean likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a day
    Never really got why people didn't like this one, I thought it was ace, especially getting out of that Gothic Midian sound, the drum work was fantastic and to me lyrically is one of their best. So many people though do not like it.

ICP - Beverly Kills 50427
    This is maybe the second oldest record, a cheap EP which I never particularly liked until recently, though it's picking up in popularity again as ICP continue to experiment with sound and well, being absolute shit cunts atm. Going old school is the way to go. Just everything on this album is gold from the subject to the insults to their young and whacky lyrics.

Metallica - Garage Inc.
    Sadly as a Metallica fan, I find Garage Inc. To be their best release yet and what's sad about that it is a covers album in which I would NEVER listen to if produced by anyone else because I hate covers. But these covers on this album range out from the 80s to 2000s over different eras and sound. Covering the likes of Diamond Head and Motorhead to name a couple.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Master of reality is my fav Sabbath album too. Great example! So great, i can't even come up with another one.
    Deep Purple - Machine head. Don't know, it could be their most popular and best selling. Should be from my pov! :)

4. Asmodean

Haha agree 100% with this as well! At least definitely their highlight without Burton.

Edit:
    [​IMG]

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Crash Course in Brain Surgery was the first song I learned to play all the way through (on bass)

6. Asmodean

Am i evil!! Yes i am: I'm a man!

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Formulas Fatal to the Flesh - Morbid Angel

Wasnt their biggest selling album, but I think it ruled, my second favourite death metal album

8. Asmodean

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

upload_2018-2-21_18-43-3.png

rjhangover likes this.
  10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't really keep up with all the numbers, but I think The Clash's debut album is perfect. I'm assuming Combat Rock sold the most because it had a couple Top 40 hits.

I also prefer No Doubt's Return of Saturn to Tragic Kingdom.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  11. Kerri

Kerri Members

Love love love Vampire Weekend

12. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Can't understand why this album never got popular.....

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The first album by Journey. This album was made prior to Steve Perry joining the band as lead vocalist and the band becoming decidedly more Pop Sounding. I believe a few of the band members here are from Santana and that is a notable influence as well as some prog rock leanings. The opening track Of A Lifetime is probably in my Top 5 for Rock songs from the 70's, the instrumentals here are pretty spectacular as well. However, In all honesty, I probably listen to the follow up album Look Into the Future a bit more, which is slightly more song driven than the debut, so I'll post both of them here as a 1A and 1B.