fav show as a kid

Discussion in 'TV' started by NightRose, Apr 4, 2007.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my favorite show when it first came on was star trek. though i think i was already in my teens when it did. my mom used to watch diana shore and perry como and nat king cole, they all had like an hour or a half hour show on the tv. then there was edward r murrow's wide wide world. i was always disappointed that there weren't more visuals of interesting places, you know, and infrastructure, like trains in other parts of the world and things like that. i never could see the point really, of even having a visual image, if it was just of a person or a bunch of people. well my dad didn't much care for the tv either. it was my mom's escape though. and pretty much whatever she wanted to see is what was on there. i thought most of the cartoon stuff for kids was crap, until hanna-barbarra came along.

oh there was kukla, fran, and ollie, which was ok, and i don't know how it happened, but i did actually get to see one episode of bill sear's in the park. i'm pretty sure it was a black and white tape from way after the fact.

i remember we always used to watch ed sullivan and the jimmi durante show too. i think even liberachi had one for a while. i couldn't stand westerns or soap operas either.

when outer limits and twilight zone started that was great. there was, way back in the early to mid fifties, actually something called science fiction theatre, which actually had some good stories like analog and f&sf. i don't know what happened to it, but i only remember it was on for maybe one year or less, what i remember seeing of it. i think it may have been a victum of mcarthyism or something. there was that going on screwing everything up when i was little. really the only bright spot in the 50s was that there was also a year and a half or so, called the international geophysical year, or i.g.y., which i think there's still some objects in the night sky that have those initials in their name, because that was when they were identified.

in the 70s and 80s when animation started coming into its own there was a lot of good stuff, but the 80s is when people started being able to have their own computers, and that was better and more interesting to me then anything besides trains and still is.

entertainment as such has never really been all that much my thing.

=^^=
    .../\...

2. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

all most all cartoons are shit! i could never stand them growing up! when i was a kid i loved the expermental cult geek like programs. the first tee vee program i fell in love with was "the outer limits" (1961-1964) it was a low budget program, but it had great writting, plots and, real hardcore sci-fi. as you well know, it was revived back in the 1990's and ran for about 8 seasons. still great hardcore sci-fi, writtings, plots and, the speical effects were far, far, far, better then the old outer limits was. the old outer limits pointed me in the direction of the sciences and, i did get my grad degree in the social science of psychology. that program help me find my career field!

the other program was "the prisoner." (1966-1968.) that is one hell of a complex series with, so many wild twists and turns to it! production is about to start on a re-make of the series. (i'm holding my breath and, praying that they don't fuck up with this re-make!) that program taught me that we are most of us are prisoners within society. i knew this on a level of pre-awareness but, this program brought it into full awareness for me like one hell of a hard kick to the balls!

then, there was the first star trek series (1966-1969.) i thought it sucked of green donkey dicks really, really, really, big time! (and, that is how i still fell about all star trek series!) quite shitty sci fi! i advoid it like the plague! it makes me want to vomit my guts out!

there it is. i was one weird hardcore sci-fi geek kid in love with the social sciences. i'm still one hell alot like that kid even today!