Fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Megara, May 20, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

anyone know of any good fantasy books(or series) to read other than LOTR and harry potter?

2. Eden

Eden Member

the Mists of Avalon by marion zimmer bradley
    beauty by sherri teper
    the war of the flowers
    neverwhere by neil gaman, stardust by neil gaman
    little big
    thats all i can think of for now...... you can do a fantasy search on amazon.com or barnes&noble.com

3. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i know the Dragonlance ones wher fairly popular. also david eddings and raymond feist are good authors. been about 10 years since i read any book though.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

thanks a lot ;)

5. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

Dragon Lance trilogies were my favorite when I was younger!

6. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

His Dark Materials trilogy (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman.

My teacher recommended it, said you can't put it down, and he was right. ;)

TTFN

Sage

7. akhc

akhc Member

try Leguin's Earthsea Trilogy or if you want something really dark then Stephen Donaldson's Covenant trilogies. both are very well crafted.. moreso than the DragonLance books or Pullman imo.

8. migle

migle Senior Member

Disco World series.
    And all Terry Pratchet books (fantasy as you 've never imagined) :D

9. Megara

Megara Banned

thanks for all the responses :)

10. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

Do try the Earthsea series!

11. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

The Redwall books are pretty good.
    The Chameleon Trilogy by Piers Anthony :)

12. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Everything by R. A. Salvatore. List of works @ http://www.rasalvatore.com
    Everything by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. List of works @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/modesitt/
    The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. List @ http://www.terrygoodkind.com/

I was a rabid fan of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series untill I got caught up on all the books. I won't touch another one untill he finishes the series or croaks and I will probably start from the beginning to regain continuity. The story is good but the man is milking this turkey for all it's worth and the advancement of the storyline suffers.

The three authors mentioned above should keep you engaged for a night or two.[​IMG]
    Break out the NoDoz![​IMG]

13. Angelwing

Angelwing Member

Yes, I'd recommend the Wheel of Time series. I stopped at book nine, although I do intend on finishing the series. It is dragging on a bit, but they're still decent. I also really enjoy books by the Eddings (Polgara the Sorceress is excellent).

For series that aren't so in depth, try Forgotten Realms (Elfshadow being my personal favourite, by Elaine Cunningham) or the Dragonlance series.

14. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Did anyone ever read those Magical Far Away Tree Books? There was The Enchanted Forest etc. Loved those books

15. melyn

melyn Member

The Farseer Trilogy
    The Liveship Trilogy
    The Tawny Man Trilogy

All by Robin Hobb, very good books, i'd reccomend them to anyone who enjoys good fantasy.

16. WiseOldUnicorn

WiseOldUnicorn Member

The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman
    Anything by Melanie Rawn
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
    Anything by Mercedes Lackey
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    Anything by Tamora Pierce
    Anything by Patricia C. Wrede
    Anything by Robin McKinley

I probably forgot some, but those are the first to pop into my mind. -is a huge fan of fantasy books-

17. Xanxtuary

Xanxtuary Member

Both of the above are excellent fantasy epics. They are very intense and very wordy but if you persevere with them you will be richly rewarded. I have recently finished the Covenant novels, and came away wanting more. Apparently there is another set of Covenant stories and I must look out for it.

I would also recommend the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist, as well as his Mistress of the Empire collaboration with Janny Wurtz. Ms Wurtz has also written some fine solo material, I can recommend her Stormwarden series.

I am currently reading Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy. She is a newish Australian writer and this trilogy is her only work published so far as I'm aware. I have stormed through these, as the writing style is easier to read than Donaldson's or Leguin's rather more intensive style.

Julia Gray is another author whom I would highly recommend. Ice Mage and the Dark Moon novels are awesome, gripping stuff.

I'm sure I could come up with many others, but I'll leave the recommendations at that for now. Hope you discover something you enjoy from among these or from other people's recommendations. Happy Reading!

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The Deverry and Westlands books by Katherine Kerr are one of my favourites. The books of Robin Hobb are also great!

19. Free Bud

Free Bud Member

you have got too read terry brooks books. any except the knight of the word series. i do believe the frist book is called sword of shannara. he is probalby my favorite author of all time and actually really got me reading fantasy.

20. Free Bud

Free Bud Member

Im reading this series right now and i gotta say it also rocks