Family Life In The 60's & 70's

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Aerianne, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

We rode these....

[​IMG]

Some of us didn't die....

2. Iowaboi

Iowaboi Members

Ever get the long sissy bar and the slick tire with red stripe have dad braze on another pair of forks over the first pair and get a smaller tire have a chopper!

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

My Dad didn't braze... We just hammered the fork extensions on and rode them that way.

Some of us didn't die, a few lost some teeth though.

Iowaboi likes this.
  4. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I remember when we got a station wagon, and we would jump from the backseat to the back throughout the drives.

As I wrote that I just realized how I would always sit on the driver's side, and my sister on the passenger side. We never really decided that between us, but that is how it always was. I wonder if this was a form of gender programming. Even if we sat in the back, facing backwards, I was on the driver side, she on the passenger. I was also older than her. But even when I would pretend to be a pilot flying an airplane, as we faced backwards in the back of the station wagon---I was the pilot and she was the co-pilot.

MeAgain likes this.
  5. Mountain Valley Wolf

There where several other brands too, I forget the gold colored ones, I think they were gold brand saving stamps. I think my mom had collections of 3 or 4 different kinds but S&H was always the biggest. We got all kinds of things with those.

Iowaboi likes this.
  6. Mountain Valley Wolf

I always loved my parent's Tijuana Brass albums. One early sunday morning, everyone was asleep, I turned the stereo way up, and put one these records on. It was pretty cool until they came out and turned it down. Surprisingly I didn't get in trouble. I must have been about 6 or 7.

MeAgain likes this.
  7. Tyrsonswood

They were called "Plaid Stamps"

[​IMG]

8. Mountain Valley Wolf

I remember the plaid stamps too, but the gold ones I am thinking of might have been G&H stamps maybe, I forget they were more gold than those.

9. Mountain Valley Wolf

And remember how your one uncle would come over and take you and your sister into a dark closet and play, "find the snake?" I'm still trying to figure out what that snake was---sometimes it was soft, sometimes hard...

Am I right? Everyone remember???

<<<<<<<I'M JOKING!!!!>>>>>>>

10. Mountain Valley Wolf

They were gold bond trading stamps

51zbzRPK0aL._AC_SY445_.jpg

mysticblu21 and Tyrsonswood like this.
  11. Mountain Valley Wolf

That reminds me of how I loved things that were Scottish as a child---it began with a hamburger joint we had in the 60's called The Scotsman. They had girls run your food out on roller skates if you ordered from the parking lot. But if you went inside to eat they had bagpipes on the wall and kilts and some berets. I thought that was so cool. It was a really cool restaurant all around---the menu had jokes and some drawings like a Mad magazine.

Then at the house we always had a bottle of drambuie---we used it as cough medicine. There was a Scottish piper on the label. We had some French berets for some reason, and that was the only thing I had that came close to dressing up the way I thought a Scotsman would. So I would run around with the beret tilted just like the one on the head of the leprechaun on the Gold Stamp book. I still like berets, and associate them with kind of an anti-establishment theme----like Che Guevara, Patty Hearst, the Black Panthers, the Beatniks, intellectuals in dark smokey coffee shops in Paris----you know... There were a few hippies back in the day that would wear berets. I recently bought one again:

20200416_022313.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Bilby likes this.
  12. Iowaboi

Iowaboi Members

Summers at the pool fifty cents to get in opened at 1:30 -5:00 1/2 break at 2:30.
    Consession stand sno cones 10 cents frozen stuff was 25 cents to 75 depending on what ya got cup of pop was 15 cents .
    Listened to top 40 on am radio because around here didnt know what fm was till mid to late 70s then there was only couple stations.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  13. Mountain Valley Wolf

I

Love Sno Cones-----but really loved Ice Cream Sodas. Today when I go into a Dairy Queen I have to ask first if anyone knows how to make an Ice Cream Soda, and there is often someone there that knows, then I have to make sure they do it right! I often accompany it with a lecture on, Don't you know why they called them soda fountains?, and something about you kids don't know what good ice cream is... or something like that.

I don't know why ice cream sodas disappeared----I think it was somewhere in the late 90's... What is wrong with people?!!!

Iowaboi likes this.
  14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We used to do that. Just jam a set of forks over the original to extend the front end, and put a smaller wheel on.
    And somehow we'd steal steering wheels out of junk cars and attach them where the handlebars went...but I can't remember how?

Iowaboi likes this.
  15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

16. Iowaboi

Iowaboi Members

We had a soda shop /drugstore in town and dairy queen was a little building made best food now it big fancy and sometimes kinda bad.
    Hell we had the eskimo pie invented here

MeAgain likes this.
  17. Tyrsonswood

18. Mountain Valley Wolf

Slot cars!

I always wanted one! People would spend quite a bit of money and show up with suit cases with their car set inside and spare tires and motors and parts...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020