Falling in love against your will...

Discussion in 'True Love' started by Smelly Socks, May 3, 2006.

1. Smelly Socks

Smelly Socks is probably lurking

...is it possible?

Have you ever heard someone say, "I didn't want to fall in love with them, but I did"? I was pondering this today. To fall in love do you have to want to? Or is it just something that happens without warning?

Kimmiescock likes this.
  2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

When I met my current partner, I didn't want to be in a relationship with anyone. I wasn't interested in falling in love, I wanted to finish school and move away and not be bothered.

Then I met him, and I tried so hard not to fall in love and pushed him away all I could, but it didn't work.

We're very in love now... that little fucker. ;)

But I guess it's true...you'll fall in love when you least expect it.

3. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I'm currently going through this. Him and I both don't want it.

4. EnterTheFarside

EnterTheFarside the cats pajamas

My friend from new york came to visit about a month ago, I havent stopped thinking about her since...

5. Smelly Socks

Smelly Socks is probably lurking

You would think to fall in love, you would have to open to it.

But that doesn't seem to be the case.

For me at least, the more I don't want to have feelings for a person, the more feelings I end up having.

6. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

When my boyfriend and I first started dating, I really wasn't into the idea of a serious relationship, I had just graduated high school and wanted to be free...too bad love had a different say in the matter. Haha. I fell for him fast and hard. I think it goes like that a lot. If it happens when you don't want it, I think that's the best way to tell it's true, lol.

7. Lemongait

Lemongait Member

There's a girl who I'm friends with, but I doubt we'd make much of a couple really... we don't even have great conversation that much seeing as we're both much too quiet and introverted for our own good, but yeah, I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with her. I guess that's just the way it is.
    I'm going travelling for the summer in a few days... I wonder how I'll feel when I get back.

8. Andie Nicole

Andie Nicole Member

I think it's possible, but that you're a lot more LIKELY to fall in love if you accept it.

9. Suncatch22

Suncatch22 Member

It is EASIER when you want it ... but it can very easily happen when you don't!

Right now I am madly in love with someone I NEVER would have 'chosen' (<sigh> beatnik hippy men ;) -- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em ...) It has led to a lot of second-guessing myself, and a lot of heartache ... and a lot of pain on his part too, as he is in love with me despite the fact that I am not the "perfect hippy-woman in the sky" he has always sought ...

but it is still love, and even if it collapses tomorrow (which almost every day I am certain it will) ... it is real!

Ain't life funny sometimes? :D

10. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

so the man that I been loving is now my man! We both didn't want it, but now we couldn't be any happier! We give thanks to the Gods.

11. Dariah

Dariah Member

I have fallen in love against my will. It's terrible to not be able to control your own feelings sometimes.

12. Lya76

Lya76 Member

I never thought I would have fallen in love with my ex bf because of many reasons.
    But it happened and it was so strong (and it still is...) that today I find myself crying desperately because he decided to leave me and go back to his coutry.
    It was one of the worst thing that happened to me.

13. Tembzozo

Tembzozo Guest

I have fallen in love with my best friend since seven years ago, I thought i had it well hidden until another friend of mine found out and treatened to tell him if I don't. I had to tell him - only to find out he always knew. How embarrassing. My problem is . . . I dont want to love him, i really dont, I want him as a friend, but my soul does the opposite. . . I shiver when Im around him, I can look at him in the eye anymore, I cant stop thinking about him when he's not around, i cant sleep, cant eat properly, im in trouble. After telling him, because of the way I was trembling and uncomfortable, he said we shall talk about it another time, he was very sensitive and tried to make me feel comfortable but still, I see him different now, my life has completely changed, its like he lives in me. . . . . i dont think i have loved anyone like this, ever

14. enhancer13

enhancer13 Senior Member

Real love just happens when it does! For me it did when I was not looking for it and didn't really want it. Happy it did though, because it has done nothing, but make my life better in every way. You just never know when that one is going to pop up in your life.

15. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

It just happens. I knew my husband almost a year before there was anything there. I wouldn't have even considered him a friend then one day out of the blue we saw each other after 4 months and BAM! Love hit like a ton of bricks and it left me scratching my head and saying "wtf?". It obviously just happens because I never thought of him as anything before that day. We are an odd couple. Opposites. We don't look like we belong together but it works and it has been working a very long time. My former boss told me "when I first met him I thought, huh, that's not what I was expecting. But now that I know him I don't think there is a couple any more perfect for each other" I don't think either one of us were looking or expecting to fall in love.

16. blasphemousvegan

blasphemousvegan Member

But it is happening even though you both fight it so hard.. I too am experiencing this :/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

17. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

What happens to me is I want a casual relationship. I think it will be a couple years of casual dating with someone because I want to love him before I am committed or am having sex with him. Turns out I meet a guy, like him lots and he wants commitment much sooner then I thought I wanted it.
    It turns out ok, have had great men in my life and have never been hurt or dumped badly and left in a terrible mess.
    The only relationship that ever ended as an actual break up for the reason of being done was with my first husband and it was me who left him but he was ready to end it as well so it went nicely, we split everything and all the money. Others were ended over work making one of us move away mostly.
    I swear every time I will date casually and it just don't happen that way. Always end up with someone I end up caring about and us moving in together. One was a roommate thing first that did turn into a relationship eventually, I guess we couldn't resist, haha. We did get married and he was my second hubby.

18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

and it is supposed to make one feel happy and not full of pain, right?

19. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Yes it is, problem is the deck of cards can't be laid out as we would like so we never know what will happen. We have to pick as best we can and hope for the best. I have seen some pretty nasty break ups friends went through and it's sad to see it happen, especially when it involves kids.

20. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

It definitely finds you. I met my husband 10 years ago in a mosh pit. I certainly wasn't looking for love there. In fact, after we exchanged numbers and went our separate ways, I told my friends, "these things never work out." They still tease me about that.