Fake meat so good real meat is nervous

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by unfocusedanakin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Very true and even organic products are not much different. We grow an increasing amount of fruit and vegetables in the garden and they taste totally different. Tomatoes taste like those that I remember from my childhood. I think that the main problem with shop bought items is early picking and strains that have been modified for increased shelf life. The same is true for milk that is homogenized for the same reasons. Standardized milk is even worse, allowing producers to reduce the fat level to the minimum required, but worse still to reconstitute the fat into lower quality milk. Full cream milk is now sold at 4%, whereas milk from A jersey cow is between 8 and 9% when it leaves the cow.

David0301 and Irminsul like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I drink goats milk because it's not homogenised. I read about it years ago I can't remember what the word means now lol. I only use cow milk I guess for cereal, which I don't eat because goats milk is a little different in taste and the taste on its own I don't like, but it works with coffee. :)

Goats are also way more cooler than boring moo cows.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

I had scallops, kale and cherries for dinner.

then i had a big bacon, peanut butter and jelly sammic abut an hour ago ..

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Seafood scallops or potato scallops?

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i had tofu tonight and probably tomorrow..medium firm

it goes good with ground pork and a bit hoisin sauce...i also add thinly sliced celery when i have some (like today)...and shrimp..(which i didnt have today)

Orison likes this.
  6. deleted

deleted Visitor

seafood

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hoisin sauce is an imperative ingredient in my BBQ pork roast on steamed rice with Chinese broccoli. It literally makes the dish. :)

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Bacon and peanut butter together

I have never even thought of that

And I am perplexed as to why, sounds awesome

9. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

sounds mingin

10. wilsjane

Homogenization involves forcing the milk at high pressure through a very fine gauze that breaks up the fat chains, making them too small for their density to allow them to separate and float to the top.Not only does the taste change, but I have no idea what else could be broken up that would otherwise have been filtered out and removed in conventional milk. My further concern is the standardization rules that allow them to add fat. My fear is that ALL the butterfat is churned out and sold as butter and the fat in the milk is then added, possibly even an inexpensive vegetable fat could be used.

11. David0301

David0301 Members

i agree,
    you living in UK have you also noticed that your diet changes according to the season? i have noticed that during cold months in winter time it is almost impossible to avoid starchy carbohydrates. I dont eat any starchy carbohydrates (sugar, rice,bread,noodles) . But try that in winter. Its damn hard.

wilsjane likes this.
  12. David0301

David0301 Members

absolutely agree with you,
    BUT dont forget that the torturing of mass farming animal also contribute to making them undigestable to us!! anyone who has ever been on a farm and witnessed what is actually going on behind closed curtains will a)never forget that b) not eat any conventional meat again. Mass farming animals like cows,chicken,turkeys,pigs dont even see sunlight! they are locked up all day, their night-day-rhythm is being determined by artifical light (switching on/off light). For example for the chickens to lay more eggs, for the cows to produce more milk they artificially lengthen their day-light and shorten their night-time. Apart from that , they are being held in cages! not able to move an inch. Also: they are constantly under stress because for example cows are impregnated by force and as soon as they deliver their baby it is taken away from them. Also: and this is what most people forget: COWS have horns! ever wondered why farm cows dont have any horns? thats because it is forcefully,brutally BURNED off their heads with excrutiating pain. Just watch one youtube video and see how the cow reacts. As if it is about to die. Without anesthetics. All these stress hormones are being released into the meat. And you eat them. Buen apetite. For these very reasons I stopped eating any meat 2 years ago. I do eat wild sea fish though. At least they come from the sea and were not tortured. Anybody who still wants to enjoy meat I would recommend not eating a mass farm animal. Which means: goat, sheep, (horse?), fish is ok. Because the demand for them is not that high. This means they were not locked up in cages and tortured.

13. David0301

David0301 Members

at least you know that real (=organic) fruits and vegetables taste different. Here in europe our media is trying to convince us that there is no difference between conventional fruits and real (i call them real) fruits lol. They even claim that the nutrional value is all the same lol .

"standardized milk" yes what you said is true, + the other problem is that they pasteurize (ultra heat) the milk. That has lead to all the lactose intolerant problems. If milk was left in its natural/unaltered state there would not be anyone with digestive issues. In the USA some farmers tried to sell unaltered (non pasteurized) milk but they were harrassed, pursued and punished by the FDA/Governement as if they were Charles Manson. Ultimately they had to stop doing that . Some of them lost their license too.

wilsjane likes this.
  14. David0301

David0301 Members

it is called pasteurized (after Luis Pasteur, the inventor) not homogenised please get it straight.

you cant get any un-pasteurized milk in these days. Very hard. Some organic shops in austria,germany have it though. Maybe in UK too i dont know.

15. wilsjane

The worse problem with sugar is the increasing use of corn syrup. Although their is a well known link between corn syrup and type 2 diabetes, the big soft drink manufacturers still use it in vast quantities.

David0301 likes this.
  16. David0301

David0301 Members

wils (or jane`) of course, the problem with industrial sugar is the same with industrial table salt : it has been altered/stripped of vital nutrients, leaving it in an undigestible, even dangerous state for human consumption. Get the real thing instead. Get the unbleached sea salt (80+minerals) vs table salt (2minerals) and you will see changes happening within your body. Renewing every single cell. Sugar substitutes are: coconut sugar, date sugar, mable sirup, ahorn sirup, rice sugar, stevia, xylitol

ok now we are entering insider terrain

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Its also used in lots of processed meat actually, for longer shelf life.

Meat on itself can be great. One of the biggest issues in modern societies though is the amount of meat consumed daily. As with most things moderation simply is key. But ever since we figured out we can financially afford to indulge in it every day (something that became more and more normal for the average citizen in the past 100 years) the meat industry is getting more fucked up. Not only in regards to people s health, but also on the overall environment, and indeed last but not least the animals in it.

wilsjane and David0301 like this.
  18. Asmodean

That being said: I prefer a switch to more organic meat for a good price (this means it will cost more btw, as a good price is not only determined from the supermarket and consumers POV). When consumed in normal amounts it works out fine.
    Although one advantage would be that it seems animalfriendly, artificially grown meat that does not come from an animal that has walked and breathed sounds not really nice to me. It also seems impossible to say at this point how healthy or not it will be. But i don't think it will beat organic meat from a pig or cow that happily roamed the pastures during its life.

wilsjane likes this.
  19. deleted

deleted Visitor

20. Asmodean

I thought the Elvis sandwich was just banana slices and peanutbutter on white bread. I don't know why I know these details...