Fairtrade and the like....

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by roly, Jan 20, 2005.

1. roly

roly Senior Member

Anyone got any interesting info on fairtrade?
    I have their policies, cool valenties ideas involving fairtrade, glasto and fairtrade...anyone got any more?
    Im doing a talk on it tommorow and im pretty much sorted but wanted to see what u guys acme up with too...
    Its for a bunch of Christians so any Christians with verses related to giving or equality are appreciated too....
    Cheers my dears....
    Roly.xxx

2. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

I've always bought fair trade stuff ( yeah I'm a hippy:) )....but I have a friend who is really against it. The gist of her arguement is that it forces people in third world countries to be dependent on first world countries economies and that this is ultimately a bad thing as they should be concentrating on their own self sufficiency or supplying a small local market economy.
    I do see her point, but I guess I think that in an imperfect world, fair trade does give some people help, so I carry on buying the stuff.

3. Iago2

Iago2 Member

Yesterday I bought a carrier bag full of sausage rolls of a large size for a quid. Somehow I doubt its fairness on the producer...

...but they taste so good! :)

4. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

I don't know....if you bought a carrier bag of large sausage rolls for a pound...I think I would worry more about the fairness on the consumer than the producer....how are you feeling?

5. Iago2

Iago2 Member

Sausagey :D

6. mellow_hendrix

mellow_hendrix Member

i dunno where to get fair trade instant coffee i can only find the beans but i like instant more anyone know of any instant coffee thats fair trade

7. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

how did the talk go, roly?

8. roly

roly Senior Member

it went good thank you. the kids listened whihc is a first and we are doing a follow up with tasting...everyone will bring food and we will share. PLus we're taking part in fairtrade fortnight as a church and are going to have fair trade tea and coffee after the services at church...it's great!
    Roly.xxx

9. island dweller

island dweller I Love Wind

The co-op has all its own brands of fair trade products, coffee, wine, chocolate all very very nice!