facebook gives me the creeps

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by seaofdreams, May 7, 2013.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

considering as how the cia has done faked mirrors of it ...

the whole moving in on the internet by corporate media and its agenda creeps me out. facebook is kind of one tip of their multi-tipped iceberg.

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

facebook is becoming a huge marketing tool, same with other social media

facebook has an absolutely huge amount of computing power and storage capacity its unreal .. its up there with some of the biggest databases around

its not like its that big of a deal tho, we're all in databases already, some of us more than others but at least those government databases are far more likely to have accurate information.

no need to be paranoid, i still recommend against facebook tho

i preferred the days when everyone used IM chat programs like AIM, everyone used to use that but now some of the younger generation act like thats some new shit (instant messaging) that only hackers use or something cuz they've only used the instant messaging in facebook :rolleyes:

i guess when cell phone plans with unlimited SMS got cheap enough for everyone the average kiddie just didn't see the need for IM anymore

3. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i just deactivated mine due to friend and coworker drama, but it may well stay that way...

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well you know, this whole social media marketing, when i first started using the internet, sevice providers were mostly relatively small and local, and when you signed up with them, and their fees were relatively modest, besides a couple of mail channels and regular access, they all of them, gave you some space for a web page of your own. and in those days, before the internet was invaded by economic interests, pretty much the only people using it were people with either a strong engineering background or a strong interest to learn, so you know, people didn't demand to be led by the hand like children. and you know, our connections came with what was known as file transfer protocol and anyone could get a book on html and build a web page and their severice providers, who were again reltively local or regional outfits, would host these, for no additional cost then the cost of connecting.

of course i realize i'm talking about ancient history. when the internet was intended to be basically an unlimited public library, with a focus on engineering and technology, but at any rate, not like a library that has been gutted and turned into a shopping mall.

i don't use the internet to go shopping. i like to get out of the house and ride around on the buses and what have you. this is almost the only exercise i get.

the internet, i still only go to places to post my art, and participate in forums, but not, to consume entertainment or make other kinds of purchases.

the only good thing about any business being on the net, is if they have something that isn't available locally, like if you live in a small town or an economically depressed area that can't support the kind of stores that can afford to inventory specific technological items.

it makes no sense, what greed is trying to turn the internet into like just another channel of television.

you know the problem with television and radio is not everyone can share their thoughts that way, and its not only people who can afford to broadcast that way who have thoughts worth sharing.

so the internet became a good thing for that, but these corpoarte giants trying to refudalize everything, what they are trying to turn the internet into, defeats what is to me, the whole reason for there to be an internet.

5. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28051930

Hopefully the end of Wastebook will soon be upon us...

Funny thing was, I heard about this from the horrific AOL/Huffington Post site.
    And I'm sure they've been doing exactly the same..

Personally, I'd say that ANY of these corporations that come from the same groups/(NON-)regulators are the same. AOL, Yahoo, Apple, Msoft, Google, Facebook, Linkedin etc etc.

Information is power. So these information tech cos want as much as possible.

6. AceK

you are wise my friend :) people these days wanna be spoon fed, and would rather pay out their ass to have 'content' "provided to them" ... thing is people don't wanna learn anymore, or at least don't wanna put forth the effort to learn something on their own, by consulting the available documentation. If you really wanna learn how protocols work, how smtp works when you send an email ... i guess you don't really need to learn that stuff anymore, but you will always be at the mercy of corporations, when if you would just consult the RFCs there's literally thousands of pages about all of these things and you could write your own program, or use an open source program from one of the repositories.

no one is going to spoon feed information like this tho, how would that even be possible anyway? pointing someone in the right direction is about the best you can do.:sunny:

the current generation of teenagers is super naive when it comes to the internet. Back in the '90s I could almost say most serious userss of the internet were hackers. So we knew some basic common sense things, call it "street smarts" of the web if you will ;) The internet was a great place for hackers to learn, and share knowledge. Not all hackers are bad (contrary to popular, and ignorant belief), some tho aren't all with the best intentions either and some of them will exploit the naive for whatever reasons they can think of. And some of these people are just downright easy to exploit, a peice of cake even with my modest computer skills (that most of these kids would equate to God like abilities or something probably ;))

Facebook is for the sheep, the followers .. those who can't, won't, don't wanna cut their own way and desire to learn something that everyone else doesn't already know. Cuz facebook is "cool" you know

edit: far too many people believe that they are at the mercy of the corporations that they believe run the internet ... and by believing so they are, a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. But no one "owns, or runs" the internet. There are groups that work to define certain standards and such, and work to keep the internet free for all. Those of us that see it for what it is, if anyone owns it, we do

Check out these websites if anyone wants to learn a little bit more about what the internet is, where it came from, etc.

Internet Engineering Task Force:
    http://www.ietf.org/

The internet research task force:
    https://irtf.org/

International Corporation for assigned names and numbers (ICANN)
    https://www.icann.org/

RFC-Editor.org - search and read the requests for comments (RFCs).. tons of information can be found by reading RFCs including protocol specifications and reports from workgroups
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/

7. SholeSteven

SholeSteven Member

I still have a Facebook account myself but I will admit that I have been tempted to leave on so many occasions due to a lot of the changes and the fact Facebook is not what it used to be anymore. Facebook now is more used for people to air their dirty laundry in public and for stuff that is not even interesting to be shared which is a shame really.

8. Margo

Margo Member

Facebook has so many self absorbed people telling us all about their house improvements and pictures of themselves. I find it laughable when people can't think or reason about politics. Most of the people on FB are damn morons, serious morons, f&&king morons.

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Then find new friends, or hide people you don't like from your newsfeed.

10. AceK

intelligent discussions on FB are a rare thing

11. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

Facebook is alright. If it bugs you what people do and don't post or say and don't say you should probably go and find something else to look at to be honest.
    I use Facebook to see when bands are coming to Australia and release dates etc. I also use it as a journal, always leave myself little notes on there. At first I never knew others could really see, but then some of my shit started getting likes. I don't add friends, they add me, and like I've said before, Facebook keeps your friends close and your enemies closer because one day I might snap and the dickheads will post where they are, who they're with and how many rounds of buckshot I need to bring to the occasion. :D

12. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

just deleted my facebook in addition to getting rid of my cellphone.... dropping out....

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

once upon a time you could only be a boy or a girl on facebook..
    now you can be a dog or a cat too. ;)

14. scaredFellow2014

scaredFellow2014 Guest

Everything everyone said about FB is true. FB is EVIL...

Few years ago, I was looking for a haircare product and my Google search took me to this salon website and the salon FB page. Naturally, one would go through FB page top to bottom for information. That's exactly what I did. However, I didn't know that my search for haircare product would lead me to a gal I fell in love with madly and deeply back in high school when we were both in school. Within the Salon FB page was a link to her FB page, because she was and is working for them. Having been in love with this young lady for so long and missing connection, I snooped through her FB page and found so much about her like how many kids she has, where she works, if she is married or not, where she lives, where she goes to tan, what she eats, when her birthday was, etc, etc. I was so over-joyed having found her I simply cried looking at her current pictures. Did I just stop there? Nope. I had to try to connect with her by sending her a friend's request and a FB message pouring my feelings and heart out in the message. Guess what she called me. A stalker. Here I was thinking highly of her and keeping her in my heart like an angel and she called me a stalker. And I don't blame her. If I had been her, I would have called the police right there and then, but she didn't she actually send me an understanding message and simply said bye. She is a very sweet angel for doing that. I am still excited that she actually sent me a message. I will never delete that message ever.

I will always love you no matter where you are, CLM. ----{{--{{@

15. openheart

openheart Members

Facebook is a device used to distract us from reality, its a trap many naive people fall in to!

1 person likes this.
  16. AceK

Facebook really ought to scare you to the very core!

17. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And people are getting creepier and creepier on social networks.
    I really do not fit in,

18. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

I have a facebook so that I don't get carried away with the recklessness anonymity can lead one to in the interwebs. I keeps it real for them assholes. I make a point of posting a public selfie a few times a year doing something weird or awesome just to annoy my haters.

I have started to streamline some of my internet presence though. 1500 friends to less than 300, limited visibility. I don't like that you can link so much together. I don't necessarily want my FB people to get updates on my blog posts and I certainly don't want everyone to know what I'm doing in real time. That's my business.

I've successfully managed to have google search images of myself with old boyfriends removed and you find almost nothing when you google my name so I feel ok that if I wanted to disappear, I could once I got rid of the crap on FB.

19. AceK

IIRC facebook can link relationships ~6 levels deep recursively. That means they know who you know, who your're friends know, who friends of friends know ... recursively 6+ levels deep. That's too much information that they have no business having.

20. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Facebook has given me a great look at other people including ones iv known forever.... There's a lot of warped and sick people out there....... I don't have a problem with Facebook but humanity is a lost cause.

1 person likes this.