Facebook Disease

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by ZenKarma, May 21, 2018.

?

Do you have a facebook account?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. deleted

deleted Visitor

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

make sure you take your vitamin /b/

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I scrolled through HF's FB page and saw nothing about being fucked by your wife with a strap-on dildo or sniffing panties or anything like that. Instead it looked like intelligent, well reasoned stuff. Could there be two Hip Forums?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
    Deidre and Orison like this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

no comment with regard to the social media phenomenon... I used to really like Moby. I think some of his old stuff may be ready for a throwback spin on my car's CD player. Not to into what he's been doing lately, but I wasn't ever a really big "Play" person. I got into EDM (what it used to be) around the time that album came out and I felt like it was unrelated to dance music in some ways. Do you think his use of gospel vocalists is cultural appropriation considering his genre. I'm not a critic, but if I'm honest I'd have to say yes. And I like Moby. Not sure what to make of it, honest...

Back on topic, I'm so disconnected from facebook & instagram or whatever other accounts you can have that I don't get concerned about it that much. I think people do that for a hobby, and that it can make them super popular, depending on what pictures they put up. So, I can see what they like about it. But I don't think I would like myself very much if I were doing something like that, so maybe it's not a super good prediction of the future or what society will become, or any of that.

i had a myspace. that was cool, but there were only a handful of people I knew on that. lots of accounts i didn't know... I really liked setting up background music for it and making a myspace layout. I think that's something we've lost with facebook twitter instagram etc. unless I'm mistaken.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You won't get me near one of these internet machines, I don't want to catch a computer virus.

ZenKarma likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Not gonna lie, this made me giggle

ZenKarma likes this.
  7. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Lmao!!

8. fundoo

fundoo Members

ohhh boy. So I'm at a dilemma here. Some of my main interests are only available on FB anymore. But that being said, I use it for groups and friends that I'd likely never call or see in person, but can't seem to live without. Sigh, yes I'm addicted, but that's only because I haven't found something strong enough to tear me away. I do prefer the forum format, and I do like it here, at the same time I still feel like an outsider that hasn't quite found her niche yet or is too afraid to say she's obsessed with some latest music craze. (haha nah nah, it's not like "popular music" or anything...just yeah, sometimes the type that have extreme followings, maybe. idk...maybe I'll get brave and post about it.)

Facebook, as it was meant to be, is a cool idea, but it's way too controlled and that scares me. On the other hand, I've no clue what ?XenForo?? or Hipforums is doing with my info! hahaha eek! :p ;)

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Never be afraid to be who you are.

Besides, you got crew here.

fundoo likes this.
  10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

why would you not think speaking to the person beside you isn't an option?...or simply day dreaming while blissfully looking out a window?....or people watching...we used to do it...way way way back in history...ask around

deepwoods and MeAgain like this.
  11. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I check Facebook throughout the day. I find local events and can connect with real and virtual friends. If I don't like a person, I can block him/her. Of course, that doesn't necessarily stop people from trolling.
    Life can be an adventure.

12. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

I never had a Facebook account. For one I don't like sharing my real name online and personal info. For another (and this applies to Twitter also), there are too many idiots on Facebook. If I'm going to debate online, I want it to be at least somewhat decent. I don't need to be constantly told that I'm a coon, racist, need to check my privilege, etc. Without any attempt to address tge argument at hand.

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Screw Facebook! Facebook is a miserable passive aggressive bitch-fest, quasi popularity contest, and an intrusive conniving data mining racket.

I set up a phony account once only because I needed to access a support group for a project I was working on. Here's a tip, don't buy any product that doesn't have a real website and uses bullshit like facebook pages. On a similar note, also fuck pinterest! Looking for images and having to create another account to view a damn picture is more intrusive shit fuckery! Not only is facebook filled with stupid bitches, the website itself is a needy obsessive **** of a software code. The fucking email spam I got from my phony account was fucking retarded. Hundreds of emails, "look what you've been missing", "you have new friend requests", "look at all these likes", "come back to me, log in now, need input, need input!"

14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Pinterest is awesome

15. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

I find myself scrolling through the same junk mindlessly.

I don't mind endlessly scrolling through HF, because the discussion actually makes me think. I have learned a lot from all of you.

Facebook though... so much made up crap. Less crap here!!

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i have to assume you had some weird settings going on there. i get almost no emails from facebook, and i've been on there since practically the beginning.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Only emails I get from Facebook is to advise me that I've been blocked because my user name is not legit. I then have to go through lengths and stories to get them to unblock me, such as making false documents etc. Lol.

I think it's from when salty people don't like my comments so they "report" me or something.

18. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Isn't it the human condition, though, that whatever frees us also enslaves us?

Without Facebook, how would I tell people that I am currently eating a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of water (with a picture posted), or what is currently on my mind (I hate soap operas. Wouldn't it be weird if dog houses had like real rooms inside them? I'm bored. Wow, my name is the same spelled backwards and forwards---oh, wait, no it isn't. Who else won't eat ice cream that is red? It's hot out today.), or that I have to go to the bathroom, or that my doctor just called and said I have herpes. Wow, that last one was a real mess----now my wife knows that I sleep with half the girls on my Friends list...

Ok, I made that all up. My wife knows that I only sleep with her and I got herpes from a toilet seat (Ok, that's made up too).

Seriously---I am on Facebook. I don't use it as much as I used to. But it does help me keep in touch with people. And Messenger allows me to call to and from anywhere in the world for free, and even do video calls. That is important because my wife has family in the Philippines, I have family here in the US. We have spent many a summer in Europe, and so on.

I have a smart phone and I think it is amazing that I have so much information at my fingertips, not to mention a camera that takes better pictures than a very expensive 35mm that I used to lug with me when I traveled, and it even takes videos---and it is usually with me as opposed to a camera that I had to specifically take with me, and I probably would only take a regular camera or a video camera---not both---when I did take a camera. I have the latest news, the latest weather, I can pull up a Japanese newspaper, or even the local news from my hometown from anywhere in the world, or listen to a Japanese radio station, the BBC, a Philippine station, or even a Hawaiian one. I have tons of music from thousands of genres I can listen to----and I have very eclectic musical tastes.

But I didn't start texting until 4 or 5 years ago. And I can't understand people who visit with another and spend that time texting or updating FB or looking up pictures.

I feel that the alienation, depersonalization, and dehumanization of this technology is part and parcel to the current Nihilism that afflicts Modern Culture.

We need to work to not allow technology to enslave us, but to be our slave.