Face Coverings .Do we really need these now?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mysteron, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

America, not so much; "rugged individualism", Ayn Rand, and all of that.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know, man... "Natural" is no substitute for a guarantee.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

While there are no guarantees in life, I'm much more inclined to get vaccinated than to have a Mambo Queen blow cigar smoke in my face and shake a chicken over me.

soulcompromise likes this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

WHO urges fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks as delta Covid variant spreads
    “Vaccine alone won’t stop community transmission. People need to continue to use masks consistently, be in ventilated spaces, hand hygiene ... the physical distance, avoid crowding. This still continues to be extremely important, even if you’re vaccinated when you have a community transmission ongoing.”
    Dr. Mariangela Simao, WHO

In Israel, of the adults testing positive for the Delta variant, 50% had been previously vaccinated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Some people should just wear masks anyways...

6. leeds85

leeds85 Member

You can still transmit a disease after being vaccinated, just saying.

Piobaire and Captain Scarlet like this.
  7. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

True but very much reduced ,

Double vaccinated to double vaccinated the risk is described as being tiny( source Public Health England ) . The alternative is to hide away from the virus for ever . Society needs to learn how to live with it and this is the path the UK Government is following . This will mean more emphasis on the individual to manage their risk supported by an ongoing Booster programme. There will less rules and regulation on how we manage our lives and replaced with advise.
    You can see that beginning to happen now and hopefully July 19th will see the end of most restrictions in the UK.

Covid: One dose of vaccine halves transmission - study

8. Captain Scarlet

It looks like we are moving forward in the UK looking at the recent Data .

Posted at 15:4115:41
    Encouraging data means loosening of restrictions remains on the cards

Source BBC

There’s lots of talk about encouraging data. But with infection levels climbing rapidly how can that be?

The key is in the picture emerging with hospital cases and deaths. When the initial delay to step four was announced, infection rates had just started rising and government scientists were worried about what that could lead to with the vaccination programme not fully rolled out.

The past few weeks have provided clarity about what we can expect. The answer can be found by comparing the start of the second wave in the autumn with what is happening now.

During September and October cases were rising much as they are now. Within eight weeks that had translated to more than 1,000 admissions a day. This time round there are just above 200.

There is even better news with deaths. Latest estimates show fewer than one in 1,000 infections is leading to a death. At the peak of the winter wave it was one in 60.

This has dramatically altered what can be considered a proportionate response to the virus – and is why a further loosening of restrictions remains on the cards.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

To be honest, the amount of people not wearing masks these days (because they have "an' issue) with the images of the football crowds,- allowed, with the increasing frequency of travelling tourists and holiday makers - along with the conspiracy theorists and rebellious types, I cannot see the wearing of masks continuing for too long now.
    Public apathy and reluctance to continue with inconvenience will not see General compliance.
    When it comes to Policing, that too is too difficult to manage.
    I guess time will indeed tell

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  10. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I need to If I want to get in and see my Oncologist

11. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

Wait - there's a Mambo Queen option?

12. Xyzlobomb

Xyzlobomb Members

I personally don't like wearing masks, but I do wear them where I am required to. Like everyone should.
    Whilst i look forward to not having to wear the masks. I also think there is atime and a place for them to still be used. Hospital visitors. Crowded public transport etc.
    I think people should be kept aware of the benefits of face masks especially during winter cold/flu seasons.
    I think we will see a lot more people continue to wear masks in the future. Which if you are a vulnerable person could be a good thing.
    I don't however think they should be made compulsory everywhere all of the time.

13. WOLF ANGEL

I can understand in certain places like Hospitals, Doctors and areas where contamination is high, - and wearing Spectacles can be a real bind when it comes to steaming up - but given the alternative, I'm still mindful to be cautious

14. Captain Scarlet

Yeah I agree with health professionals . They need to protect themselves as we all know one of the likeliest places to catch Covid is in hospital . y 89 year old Mother in Law is a case in point. She is very well and batted it off quite quickly :)

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  15. WOLF ANGEL

Good News = :)

16. boubindica

boubindica Banned

I’m not sure we ever did need them.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Me either, but then I don't hold doctorates in virology or epidemiology, therefore like yours, my opinion on the matter isn't worth a handful of warm shite. Not all opinions are created equal.
    Therefore I defer to those who actually do have some expertise on the matter; the WHO, NHS, & CDC; even my GP. If they suggest wearing a bit of cloth over my face may prevent me from inadvertently spreading a contagious disease to you which might result in your serious illness or death (or that of your loved ones), that's such a paltry inconvenience compared to the potential consequences I'm still completely baffled by people's resistance. In Japan, masks are commonplace; not among germaphobes, but people who feel unwell and would be absolutely mortified at the thought of negligently infecting you with a common cold.
    Have we as a society really become that fucking egocentric, self-absorbed, and selfish?

~Zen~ likes this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Why are some people getting so upset about little pieces of cloth?

~Zen~, Captain Scarlet and Piobaire like this.
  19. Captain Scarlet

Its just a confidence thing IMO.
    In the UK when the policies were all relaxed and went from compulsory to advisary only most people carried on wearing them in supermarkets and shops . Fast Forward a couple of months the number has dropped off rapidly despite cases rising .
    People have confidence in the vaccine in preventing them becoming seriously ill and ending up in hospital . Of course there will be some exceptions in particular those with other medical problems . Many of the hospitilisations are unvaccinated people .Many of these have been offered the vaccine but refused to take it .

But thats the reality of today ,we can't carry on living like rabbits ,just bobbing our heads above ground . Covid is here to stay in the same way Flu has been for many more years and we will have to get used to living with it .

Hopefully as the vaccines get better and they will, the cost in lives and hospital care will come down .

20. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

TBH i dont like the face coverings myself ,and only wore one when it was absolute nessasary ,carried one with me ,incase i got pulled up for not wearing one ,,reason being ,when they were compulsory ,we had to wear one on the bus ,i got on the bus one day with a mask on ,and the bus was full of people all wearing masks ,i sat down ,and started to feel very uncomfortable sitting in a confined space with lots of people wearing masks ,it was like being in a horror film .i started to feel uncomfortable and tight chested and found myself having difficult breathing ,this what i can only describe as either having a panic attack , high anxiety or a combination of both

boubindica and Captain Scarlet like this.