Face Coverings .Do we really need these now?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mysteron, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Bllide

Bllide Members

Firstly, please dont treat me like an idiot. I will treat everyone I talk to on here with respect and would like the same.

I said I am not 'convinced' about the need to wear one but went on to say I think they are a good thing anyway so I would never condone not wearing one and in fact, I wear one where ever I need too.

You copy in to your post an article for why we should wear them. That does not make it fact. I listed to the news and governmey ministers all the time as well as read articles on line. For every person that says we should lockdowm, there is one saying we should not, for every person saying we locked down too late, there is one saying it was too early. Masks, I admit are a bit more certain but still, there are plenty of experts explaining why masks dont work. Things like, the crappy ones you buy on line dont work unless they are washed every day, or some dont hold back the droplets that we exhail, or that wearing them makes us fiddle with them more and hence, tranfer possible contaminets from hand to face. Also, that wearing a mask gives a false sense of sercurity and people get closer, feel safer, because of the mask.

So, I am not 'convinced' about them but if I was a betting man, I would suggest they are worth it.

I am not stupid!

Toecutter and Captain Scarlet like this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Toecutter likes this.
  3. Bllide

Bllide Members

Thats true. Complacency could be the biggest issue as we move forwards and towards the winter!

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

"Experts" of the same level of expertise as the WHO, NHS, CDC, JAMA, or the Lancet?
    Not all opinions are created equal.

5. Captain Scarlet

Yes I agree

6. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  7. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Read the article and see what was found, take from it what you like

8. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Some people feel the personal choices of others are selfish and need to be regulated, it’s a two way street.

9. Captain Scarlet

I think as most people in particular the vulnerable have now been offered the vaccine ,I think its time to slacken restrictions ,certainly the case in the UK . If they decided not to take a vaccine then that is fine also but they musn't expect others to manage their risk for them by wearing face coverings unsocial distancing and the like . The choice is theirs so should be the risk .

10. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Agreed,

11. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

But how do you identify those who have had their vaccines from those who willfully do not do so, and tend also not to wear face masks either. For your own protection isn't it wiser to continue to wear face masks until such time that the NHS says its no longer necessary ???

12. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

If one has taken the vaccine, what is the concern with those that may not have taken it ?

13. Captain Scarlet

No I have to disagree

i havnt endured the horrible side effects of having a vaccine x2 ,to continue with reduced liberties . As I have mentioned all the vulnerable have been offered the vaccine so now is the time for freedom . Those who have has the 2 jabs are as immune as they are likely to ever be . Like flu which kill around 15000 people per year it is something we will have to get used to . We dont make any restriction whilst flu is about and the same should be for Covid .

I have enclosed the link below for the official Government endorsed face Covering Exemption pass

https://assets.publishing.service.g...xemption_from_face_covering_card_to_print.pdf

Toecutter likes this.
  14. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Then how do you account for the fact that a small proportion of those who have had two vaccines, nevertheless contracted and subsequently died from Covid - Hmmm ???

etherea and Captain Scarlet like this.
  15. Captain Scarlet

There is always going to be that risk

Whats the option keep everything locked down for ever ?

People die when they have had the flu vaccine as well but we dont keep everything locked down for that do we Hmmmmm?

I am confident of going into a packed Saturday night Bar and conversing with people .

If your not confident of going out then fine stay at home but dont expect everyone else to do so as well.

Toecutter likes this.
  16. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

If one can still catch C-19 after being vaccinated would it be logical that one can still spread it, vaccinated or not ?

People get the flu each year it’s just part of life , people get the flu shot each year and still catch the flu, die from the flu…

C-19 is going to be with us like the flu, the common cold, etc.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Moderna vaccine is allegedly 95% effective; an absolute medical marvel to be so efficacious yet to have been developed in such a short time. However, while I might be protected from the most serious consequences of infection, if there is a 5% chance that I might transmit a disease to you which might sicken, debilitate, or kill you or a loved one, it's incumbent upon me to take at least some minimal precautions.
    It's deeply unfortunate that so many of my compatriots (in my home county, 75%) won't extend to me the same courtesy, but that's life in America. If you collapse in a store check-out line, people will simply step over you.

18. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Why is it that we are not seeing massive deaths of the homeless population ?

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Perhaps we need a whole new approach to virus and pathogenic bacterial spread and one that becomes a simple factor in everyday life permanently.
    Their is no doubt that crowded public transport and busy shops spread these infections, but at the same time we all need natural immunity to the thousands of infectious conditions on the planet.
    I think that if everyone used their common sense and wore masks in crowded places whenever colds and flue were around, we would all suffer less as a result.
    How about a law requiring anyone with these conditions wearing a mask on public transport or when visiting crowded public areas being introduced permanently.
    We all accept that we need to put our pants on before going out in public, so would it really be such a big deal.

We should learn lessons from the events of the last year and all use our common sense to find solutions, Banning international transport is pointless, since viruses spread all the time, but working from home where possible could help a great deal, including reducing air pollution in crowded cities.

Doctors are the first people to see the spread of infections, so giving them the immediate powers to slow things down by wearing masks in busy places should be seriously considered in major cities.

Education is the key and we need to be aware that while viruses are present at the point of death in more than 95% of al deaths they are not the primary cause.
    On he days when we were seeing reports of around 800 people dying with covid in their system (UK), the number of additional deaths above average on those days was around 20. This is common during ANY virus season here, while in India it is accepted that most deaths happen during the monsoon season.

20. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

UK pretty good at looking out for others in my experience.