Fabric manipulation...

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by Pharoah, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

I am planning on making a costume that will look like leather, but I don't want to use skins. So I was think of painting over some flannel or something with black latex paint. I'm just wondering if there is any other way to do this? I would also like to experiment with textiles to make fabric look rigid. Ya know?
    Any opinions or Ideas on how to do that? Maybe with wire, or interfacing, something that can be used in curves?

Just thought I 'd throw that out there!

Let me know what ya think!

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Sounds like a cool idea but I'd have no idea how to do such a thing.... :( I know as far as knitting is concerned, LionBrand yarns has a type of yarn called Suede, which even though isn't made of suede (I think it's acrylic, although I could be wrong) but it looks and feels like it....

3. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

The only problem I could foresee with painting it w/ latex is that the fabric would become unbreathable, but It might work, let us know how it goes

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

dance costume? not a heck of a lot of coverage?
    try the poly "suedes" or possibly mix texturizers into the paint from your idea. Go to a proper art supply store (or check out Jerry's Art A rama online.) and see what the liquitex options are.

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

There are some great fake suede fabrics out there...I've used them and they stitch up really nice.

If you want to go the paint route, I'd try acrylics mixed with a little fabric medium. It would look like an all-over silk screen print.

6. Tamee

Tamee naked

pleather?? I've got some of that stuff in red that I used to cover these little dollhouse chairs that I'm making for my little cousin. anyway, pleather? plastic leather. you can buy it

7. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

I'm all for the pleather, and pleather like fabrics, but I also want something that will be stiff and stand out *after* its sewn. Think like body armour or a tall and crazy hat.

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member