extreem makeover

Discussion in 'TV' started by Pablo, May 10, 2004.

1. Pablo

Pablo Member

have you seen these shows? "extreem make over" and "the swan"? theyre sick, they take women who are already beautiful and make them all look exactly the same, with surgery and stuff. They claim to be making them bautiful, but they take away whatevers distinct about them "oh you have a big nose lets make it smaller" "you have small lips lets make them bigger" Man if these guys had their way all people would look identicle but come in slightly diferent shades. And the stuff they do is nasty, they put them on a chair, have a "councelor" tell them all this stuff is wrong with their body, mark them up with a marker, then surgically alter them. Im ok with the stuff where they give them acne treatments and put them on healthier diets, that stuff could help people, why dont they have a show that only does that sort of thing without sugically removing all disticntiveness?

There was this woman on it with a big round butt, and it didnt look one bit out of place! it was a nice but! but they put her on a diet, then liposuctioned it out! it was like watching them cut down an old redwood, destroying a natural thing of beauty like that forever for no reason.

2. BornInTheWrongGenera

BornInTheWrongGenera Member

We had to watch and analyze an episode of "The Swan" in my Sociology of the Mass Media class. Utterly sickening. I think those women looked beautiful as they were to begin with, and I hate the fact that the show's tagline is "We take average women and turn them into blossoming beauties." Is an 'average woman' not beautiful?

Some people said all the plastic surgery is to help the women feel better about themselves. I'm sorry, but I believe if you have self-esteem issues that are THAT deep-rooted, no amount of plastic surgery in the world is going to make you feel better about yourself. I'm not against plastic surgery, because hey, do what you please so long as it doesn't hurt others, but I don't think serious psychological issues can be solved with a new nose and breast implants.

3. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

After a minute, watching a clip from a news station, I had to turn it off.

It is one thing for a woman to step forward and better herself, another to put her fate in stranger's hands.
    Some surgery benefits, yet so many abuse it. It boils down to how you feel in your own skin and if you can look yourself in the eye.
    I found the show mortifying.
    There are so many healthy alternatives.

4. *Anne85*

*Anne85* Member

yeah, i hate those shows. it must be such a shock for the ladies to see themselves for the first time after all of the surgery. you're used to seeing yourself one way, all your life, then all of the sudden you look totally different. plus, what if she doesnt like her new look? those are permanent changes...u cant just change your nose back to how it used to be...i dont know though, thats just my opinion. i would never have any of that stuff done to me.

5. Pablo

Pablo Member

exactly, women are already beautiful, and its not going to fix their real problems, and whos to say what makes them more beautiful, its arbitrary. And since they all go by this beauty magazine definition of beauty theyre making them all look more like the same thing. And i dont like what the concensus on beauty seems to be. sickly thin, small but, cheek bones, huge breasts. A healthy woman is what i find beautiful. A lie is whats ugly.

6. BornInTheWrongGenera

BornInTheWrongGenera Member

Aww, you're a peach, Pablo! <3

7. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

I totally agree with you, those kind of shows (although I've never actually watched them) are disgusting. Someone needs to tell these women that their big noses/small lips/etc are what makes them beautiful and unique.

8. Megara

Megara Banned

yeah...i am kinda loose on the moral standards of reality tv shows...but man..the swan is just sickening

9. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Those shows make me uncomfortable. I hate that they are trying to teach America how to define beauty like that...

I mean it's great that the women get so much more self-esteem, but I wish that there were more "why you are wonderful just the way you are" attitudes and stuff... so that women wouldn't have such low self-esteem to begin with.

The only thing I can really agree with is the really bad stuff, like this one woman who's teeth were actually pretty ghastly... I can understand the new teeth. They provide a health benefit as well. But the rest of the stuff....

10. Pablo

Pablo Member

yeh that kind of thing i can agree with, like the woman whose teeth were mostly exposed and twisted, and that other one whose thumb was kinda sealed along her hand. Those are real problems, and im all for fixing that sort of thing, and showing them how to diet and excercise if thats what they have a weight problem. Basically its good if your actually helping their health.

I geuss the reason these shows bother me so much is cause i always liked the "odd looking" girl. The ones people say look odd are always really cute to me. :) and most of the women they bring on the show arent ugly, just odd by most standards. Then when theyre done they look like britney spears, and theres already a britney spears, and a chistina agulara who looks just like her to boot.

11. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Those shows are horrid, but I am not surprised that they are on t.v. and I am not surprised at all that mostly women are on there. Well, extreme makeover has had some men on there, but Swan all women. Its said that us women have to fit certain standards in society to be labled beautiful...which the women look like mannequins. And what is this teaching the younger generation, I can only imagine what the future shall hold, scary thought, everyone will look the same. And teens will be getting plastic surgery for birthdays..."Hey thanks mom, for the new face"
    People should love who they are, I wouldnt change a thing about myself, its me, who i am, how i was suppose to look. And you're right, they should help people who have been disfigured, or burned ya know.
    Okay, I better shut up now or i will go on forever....

12. Pablo

Pablo Member

besideds if everyone gets plastic surgery, no one will know what their kids are gonna look like. "oh she has the nose i had 2 jobs back, oh well we can get that fixed."

13. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

hehehe thats so true....

Also, I dont understand the fixation people have with looking like other people, having so and so's nose, or eyes....its like invasion of the body snatchers or something...

14. daysye

daysye dumb as a box of hammers

i honestly think it is rather pathetic....the biggest craze right now is teenagers getting plastic surgery....their parents say that it is alright with them just as long as they are sure that is what they want to do, and as long as they pay for it....i think what needs to happen is the plastic surgeons need to stop giving plastic surgery to people who do not need it, and realize that teenagers bodies are not fully developed and what not...so if they give a boob job to someone who is 16 more than likely they will need to have them taken out by their 21st birthday because they will be too big because they now have boobs that are natural its just that they were a late bloomer....

i think that i am done with this....i have plenty more that i want to say but i will start rambling on.....

15. Pablo

Pablo Member

*sigh* I wrote a post and it was blanked out again before i posted it, thats 4 times since the rebuild

Yeh its very odd that a 20 year old cant drink, but a 15 year old with parents permission can have themself unecisarily surgically altered. Cosmetic surgery is sick on so many levels. It wastes a surgeon and suplies that could repair someone maimed in an acident. It encourages the idea that there is a perfect beauty and things that are unlike it are ugly, such as aging, light skin, wide shoulders on women, thin lips, big ears, and pretty much anything not britney like. I also could go on and on about this