Explain this whole "jesus died for your sins" thing to me..

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Amanda N, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

oh, well if you put it like that, I choose to reject the truth...

2. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Proven by whom exactly? Maybe in the sense that it is obvious that the world was not created literally in seven days according to our timelines.

You have some very good points, Disarm.

I have stated that the Bible was influenced by God. I never said that God wrote it directly. Yes, the Bible was written in man's hand. I am sure that if you studied history, you would find that many stastics and numeral evidence differs slightly in each version. Think about what we know now verses 2,000 year ago. Look at the Tsumani percentages for example. The death toll is merely estimated. The exact number of deaths has not been accounted for. We have a system where we can record births and deaths. 2,000 years ago did they have an accurate system for this purpose? They had a census where records were kept by men. Looking at this logically, anything that is written by man has a chance of indiscrepencies. Does this prove that the Bible is false? We still have typos and misprints in what is written today. By using that theory, almost anything can be looked at falsely.

Another example of contradiction would be color. One passage says that the robe that Jesus wore was scarlet, yet, another says that it was purple. Science has made the discovery that approximately one in twelve men has at least some color perception problem.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Member

Why would God need us to sacrifice sheep/jesus to forgive sins? To me it is rediculous that a being way above us would require this.

Surely God knows what we think, what we feel and our intentions. If we are truly sorry God would know, sacrificing a sheep won't do anything other than leave a few people hungry.

I feel people need to start questioning WHY certain things in the Bible are as they are, and not just accept things as they are.

In regards to Epiphany:

If the bible is written by man but influenced by God, does it still not leave it open for corruption? The Qur'an is said to have been written by God, not by man, I'd be more inclined to beleive that book over yours:)

4. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Exactly

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Whats the difference? The Muslims beieve God dictated the Koran to Muhammud, it's not that Allah Himself came down here to write it. In fact, it wasn't actually written down until after the prophet's death.
    Exactly the same as the Bible. It is a belief that the Bible was revealed by the Holy Spirit to those who actually wrote it down.
    Same as new-agers really with their 'channeled' writings.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Member

That shows how much I know about the story behind both religions book, not a great deal. I'll read up on it tonight.

Is this beleif that the Holy Spirit "revealed" the bible to those who wrote it something that was mentioned in the bible? or was it made up by someone?
    Even if it was mentioned, my argument still stand that it was written by man and can thus be corrupted. The holy spirit may have said X but perhaps X was turned into Y when it was written down?

Also, what language was the bible originally in? I'd imagine hebrew and some other languages in that region. Could some of the content have been distorted during translation? The Bible was translated by a person, perhaps by a Christian organisation such as the Vatican? would it be at all possible they would have translated things to fit their needs?

So Epiphany, if you agree with my statement, what are your thoughts regarding the requirement of sacrifice?
    Have you ever read anything in the bible where you thought it was a bit weird or rediculous? Do some things ever make you wonder why on earth God would require you to do such a thing when he is omni-everything?

thanks

7. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Oh, OK, it's one rule for them, and one rule for the rest of us? Why does he get to question things, but I don't? What's the diffrence?

I give up, I honestly do, this was fun to start with, and I had a laugh discussing these things with you, but it's obvius to me that you're al full of bullshit, and I've now got better things to do than listen to you rabbit on about it all.

So, it's been fun y'all, but I'm off....

*waves*

8. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Amanda was here to make us think, but she should of considered thinking about a few things herself. But as she said, she has better things to do.

9. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Ok Amanda, name some of the facts of the Bible that science has now pushed out. I'm waiting. But as you say, you don't need facts to believe in something. And that is what you accused christians of. The fact is, your the one without facts. It is science and their lack of facts that has sabotaged evolution. I attacked the theory by the information or lack of it, that came from the science you believe in. The fact is, you can't think for yourself. You need a scientist to tell you what you believe. It's like saying I know what I believe, and if you want to know what I believe ask that guy. He will tell you. Your belief in evolution Amanda, requires more faith, than my belief in the Bible. The only difference is, I believe in a book that can be tested for accuracy, you believe in a theory that can't.

10. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

. well put campbell34. is it not through science that their is a big hole in the sky? "thats just one example" . i believe spirituality and the holy spirit / jesus /god / will guide me not a scientist theory of the earth ...........peace

11. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

Then why are you even trying to debate us..... you're debating against the truth with a lie?

2 Timothy 4:3,4
    For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

12. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

You've seen the truth, but your still crying wolf.

13. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

Virgin blood isn't innocent.
    That's why god sent jesus.Jesus is the only truely innocent "person". For humans are born into sin. Even a little baby has a sense of rebelion ( as in: No!No! I don't want to!!!). Jesus wasn't even rebellious. That's because his father was god, not Joseph. Jesus lacked Joseph's genes. Jesus was perfect.

Why must it be innocent blood? Because if you die with sinful blood, satan will take any chance to get ya'. Satan's the reason we even ARE sinful!( in genesis, satan encouraged Adam and Eve to eat the fruit of life.Which was their FIRST sin. God forbid them to eat it. )

Animals go to heaven for they are innocent. Humans can descide to be sinful, which piles up.

BTW, Jews befor christ died, went to paradise, not heaven. After his death they all went to heaven, and paradise was destroyed.

Now sheep blood won't help you anymore.Sheep blood can only COVER sins, Jesus was in human flesh, his blood was te only way to actually WASH AWAY our sins.Covered blood won't help you anymore.

14. Disarm

Disarm Member

Exactly! Nobody is saying that g-d comes along every few days and magically changes all of the words. In fact most of the books of the bible are written by man..G-d didn't come along and say "hey guys, record this".. there are bits which were inspired by g-d (genesis etc) but they were just that, inspired, and like someone has already said there is a pretty big difference between when things happened and when they were written about. There's a lot which has been lost in all cultures/books/religions, I think we're actually kinda lucky with religious books because people treat them with a lot more respect and care, so we're more likely to get the right idea of what was said.

When I was talking about interpretations being valid or invalid I wasn't saying all views were invalid, or because we don't have the exact translation our views aren't valid..Just that people need to take all of the facts available to them into consideration, and many people don't, most of the time it's not the translation that's the problem but picking out individual verses and ignoring the ones before and after!!

Yeah, I'm pretty disinterested in the 'true' translations or meanings of the bible (new testament as least). I got into it because it really amazed me that some people just do not know anything about their own religion.. And I'm a historian, times and reasons are my main focus.

Erm. Read some of the other posts.. Old testament-hebrew, new testament- Latin. Of course content has been distorted but some bibles have the alternate meanings in them as well now, and not only christians translate the bible so we have probably the most accurate versions available to anyone nowadays. The meaning of the hebrew word for homosexual has been played around with a few times but that's the only real incidence in the old testament of alterations while translating that I know of, the new testament is heavily edited and changed to 'prove' a lot of things about jesus, this was done when it was compiled and a lot was also lost when it was rewritten from memory in I think circa 300AD (all copies destroyed in a fire).

15. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I promised myself that I was not going to post anymore, that I was going to just leave and forget all about you... I guess I just broke that promise... but that’s OK, because I feel I’m here for a good reason, to give you this message before I go...

Truth is subjective: what is truth for you might not be truth for everyone else. We all follow different paths: but ultimately they end in the same place. If you live a good life, you will be rewarded. I personally don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’m not talking about that type of reward - there is no external reward nor punishment for your actions, only your own (there is no heaven, there is no hell, just the life you are living now). You will be rewarded for your life in this lifetime, even if the reward is just the memories you have. You are responsible for your own salvation, no one else.

I has been fun chatting with a few of you, others of you have just jarred my head, but all in all, it’s been fun, but now I must go, I’ve got bigger fish to fry. I don’t know if I’m leaving the forum or not, I might poke my nose in from time to time but Amanda N will not be posting anymore.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus Member

Bye

I don't blame you to be honest. Life is hard enough without these morons taxing our patience:)

17. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

/ thank god for that . hope you keep your promise this time (i doubt it tho).as for your paragraph =truth is subjective is this from a scientific person " me thinks so " as it has more flaws init than a multi story car park . /peace /

18. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

ditto, I agree 100%.
    Morons!!!!!!!

19. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

You just posted the same thing in 2 (or maybe even more) threads.:eek:

20. Disarm

Disarm Member

I think that was relatively silly.. She's saying she's just questioning but she just attacks everything, and every time she posted she started on about something new.. and everytime she acted like she knew more than everyone else..but she was questioning things? How does that work..

Ah well. It taught me to stop acting like a knowitall. I don't want to sound like that. She'll be back, they always are *notices I'm back again*