Explain this whole "jesus died for your sins" thing to me..

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Amanda N, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i want to say...feeling sad for someone for what they do to become happy is a poor reflectin on yourself in my eyes...be happy for Amanda that she has found something to bring joy into her life as you hopefully has found that which does the some for you...

2. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

*claps*

3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

No.

What was said was - Amanda does these things (including fucking guys and girls) to feel good about herself.

That is not just saddening.. its tragic

4. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i know...acctaully this is what she said

"If you read what I said, rather than try and look for hidden meaning you'll see that I was talking about I lead a good life, I've never killed anyone, I try and forgive people, i'm all for worldwide peace and freedom, etc.. - but I also do something on a regular basis that a lot of christian churches class as sin... am I to be denied heaven because I enjoy pleasuring myself sexually?

Oh, I'm also bisexual, that means I fuck guys and girls... that's also a sin, i'm sure that I commit lots of other "sins" - but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think they are dangerous, none of them are hurting anyone else, and they make me feel better about myself. Am I to be denied heaven?"

and then she added that this is directly her word and not up to interpretation...

im going to break that and say, you know what, i think she meant that if sinning in the eyes of others doen't hurt anyone, and the stuff she does amke her feel good about herslef, whatever, fine by mee...

but i mean Quetzalcoatl, there must be some things you do that "make you feel good about" yourself...i shave every now and then, and i don't listen to what people think i should do often...and that makes me feel good about myself

maybe the fact that Amanda likes doing this makes her feel good about herself that she isn't afraid to express herself...

sorry for interpreting your words Amanda...i hope what i said says what i wanted it to, and im going to bed now, so ill check back on here in some hours later...sweet dreams fellow spiritual searchers

5. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

Im not interested in discussing AmandaN's personal life.
    It just happened to be interjected into a debate during this thread.

6. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

Understand the trinity and you will find your answer.

7. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

98% of men masterbate...... The other 2% don't have hands.

8. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

Look at JDF and the snappy one-liners!! :D

9. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

LOL that is so far beyond what I just said. Apparently you missed the part where I mentioned that being a Christian is based on both faith and actions. If you have faith, if you really have Christ, your actions are going to reflect that. However, neither faith alone, nor mere actions alone give you access to a spot in Heaven.

Doing whatever it is you feel like doing, and believing that repentance will take care off the issue is not going to get you into Heaven. That falls under false Christianity.

Doing whatever it is you feel like doing, and always being sorry for it, is not going to get you into Heaven. That falls under false Christianity.

When God came to earth, he gave us an example of what we are to do when he was baptized by his cousin, John the Baptist. He completed the physical act of submersion in water, and thus, his followers did the same. After his death and ressurection, his apostles continued in his teaching's, baptising others.

If you read John 3:5, you will see that Jesus states point blank that baptism is a requirement. I have an entire post dedicated to Christ's message on baptism, in great detail.

Blatant disregard of Jesus's messages simply implies that these so called Christians are merely bearing witness to a false spirit.

10. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Epiphany, when Jesus told the theif on the Cross this day you shall be with me in pardise. When was that theif baptized?

11. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

So there are examples where everyone agrees on the basic teaching
    However
    There is some disagreement or differing on how its is applied or the exact meaning of the Word.
    [In this case the greek word 'Baptismo']

One Christian is sure that the word Baptismo always implies 'complete submersion'

Other Christians are certain the word Baptismo can mean 'Dipping into' but not necessarily submersion.

Now.. before you go snickering to yourself about how funny it is to make Christians fight each other and 'show' that the Bible must be 'open to any and none' interpretation..
    Keep in mind this is something that becomes an 'in-house' debate.
    Christians are all in the 'same house' on Gods Nature, The Trinity, Christ, Salvation, The Virgin Birth, Justification, The Second Coming, and so on etc etc..

Controversy over the word 'Baptismo' doesnt impune the clear and well understood teachings which count.

Well.. I suppose Amanda would definately hope to see what appears as 'conflict' in hopes non-Christians would get that false impression.

As to those sects which do disagree with the Trinity, Christ as God and those basics - (Mormons, JW's, Christian Scientists) they are not Christians.
    Not in the classic sense anyway.

There is no 'trademark' or 'patent protection' on Christianity (or Buddhism, Jainism, Islam or even Atheism) so you cant do anything about people with stupid-ass ideas.

12. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The very building blocks of the universe is 3 and one. You have the Atom, which is made up of one proton, one neutron, and one electron. All the parts have different funtions, yet they are still one Atom. God is the same way. All three parts of the Godhead have different funtions, yet they are one God.

God could change the rules, but then you would have a God of disorder. The Bible clearly teaches that God's word is true and unchanging. Another words
    you can depend on it. The Bible states, that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

13. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

You still don't understand... Everything I do in my life, I do because it makes me happy... everything from smiling at strangers to drinking coffee, sleeping on my belly to talking on internet forums, building websites to camping and hiking, watching the discovery channel to watching Sci-Fi and Fantasy films... EVERYTHING...

My life is about self happiness..

Mind you, don't get me wrong, I don't do anything that would (to the best of my knowledge) otherwise adverly hurt anyone else... In fact, often helping other people, and making them happy also makes me happy.

It just so happens that I also partisipate in some activities that I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with, and I've no doubt that some of them would be classed as a sin... but I don't believe in sin, therefore I don't believe the things I do are sins...

It's not like I masturbate to upset god... I masturbate because it feels good, because it has good health issues associated with it, and because it allows me to explore my body sexually and find out what I like...

I also have sex (both casual and otherwise) because I'm able to love guys and girls, and while I know there is a diffrence between love and sex, so what if I choose to express it with sexual expression.. you're forgetting, i'm a pagan, we're generally very happy with our sexuality, and view sex in a totally diffrent light to most christians..

So, please, don't feel sorry for me, I feel great, I love my life... sure, it can be improved, and I'm forever doing that, but that does not give you the right to come in and TWIST what I'm saying...

14. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

You're a hell of a lot closer the mark than he was...

15. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Uuummm, excuse me... but you started this... and now you realise that you're getting your ass kicked you're trying to run away...

<english accent>Bad form old chap, bad form...</english accent>

16. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Sorry, but that's not good enough.... I don't work on blind faith, I need cold hard facts...

That's a point, you must know a lot about this subject, it's your username after all, the simple fact you've got that username must mean you enjoy going around telling people that jesus died for them... so, I figure, if there is anyone here that should be able to explain it.. it's YOU!!

17. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Oh, so you agree that there are diffrent intrepertations of the bible then?

After all, these people all call themselves christian (regardless of if they fit into YOUR intrepertation of christanity), they have based their faith on jesus, and so must have got their teachings from the bible.

But they radicly differ from what you believe... oh, but that's OK because according to YOU, "they are not Christians".... however, I bet if you asked them, they'd say they were the true christians, and it's YOU that got it all wrong...

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Now, based on this, I'll ask you again, how do you know that your intrepertation of the bible is correct? How do you know that your holy spirit, who guided you there is not your own imagination? If the bible is the word of god (the most powerful being in the universe with the ability to create the universe in 7 days), why is it so easy to attack?

Surely, if it was the word of god, it would not need to be intreperted, it would state the facts as plain as day... and yet, more and more, each of the bible's facts are being distroyed by science (not on purpose mind, it's not like science is setting out to destroy the bible, it's just an unlucky side effect). Not to meantion the cotradictions (which make no sense, until you intrepert them, which, again, should not be needed is it's the word of god)..

Now i'm not telling you this to try and convert you.... all I'm trying to do is explain to you why I find it so hard to believe...

Now please, don't try and break apart what I said, or explan the bible to me or anything else.. address the issue at hand.. MY disbelief... do you, or do you not see why I find it so hard to believe?

18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Hang on a minute - is there anything at all that isn't interpreted? Surley any written statement only becomes intelligible through a process of interpretation.
    This raises big questions about the structure and meaning of language itself.
    Example - a person reads a book on physics - how can we be sure that they will understand every word exactly in the same sense intended by the writer?

As to science 'destroying the Bible's facts' - how so? Has science proven that God doesn't exist?
    And it would only apply anyway to a literalist understanding of the Bible.

19. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I didn't say that science disroved ALL of the bibles facts... all I said was that as new scientific discovery is being made, the ideas of the past (some inspired by the bible, others inspired in diffrent ways) are being pushed out.

Heck, even old scientific knowledge is being pushed out, look at newton work, then compare it with einstein's.

Now I agree, science has not disproven god's existance, and it might never happen (although it has proven that it's highly possable for someone to think they are talking to god, when in fact they are insane)... but that's because science is not out to attack the bible... like I said before, the bible is just an unfortunate casulty.

(I respect science and what it wants to achieve... I do not respect christians who delibratly try and sabotarge science just because it does not agree with their belief).

20. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

I agree with BillBlackBlake [im sorry if its not the correct order]...but everything in our worlds , both phsyical and spiritual, are up for interpreetation...we have light trigger neirons in our eyes, and we interpret it as sight...

the only thing that science could have on the bible, is date correction, really...through archeology