Experience With Nuvaring

Discussion in 'Birth Control' started by usedtobehoney, Oct 2, 2013.

1. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

Have you used the nuvaring? If so for how long and do you prefer it to other methods or no?

Any side effects or things you wish you knew before you decided on this form of birth control?

2. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I recently looked into the nuvaring. I can't be trusted to remember to take a pill every day...and I'll admit my birth control methods are less than responsible. The implanon is another one I've been checking out. It's those little stick thingies that they implant in your arm.

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I would discourage all females from using hormonal birth control methods.

4. *MAMA*

What do you suggest? Aside from condoms, I hate those.

5. *MAMA*

I think abstinence is the only other reliable option lol. No thnx.

6. ThorHammer

ThorHammer Banned

What do you mean by "less than responsible"?

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Ugh, I don't know. I do know hormones are terrible. I've done a lot of research on birth control and I've come out of it unable to get behind anything that alters your body with chemicals (the only one I would use is Plan B). That being said...it is hard to find a reasonable alternative to artificial substances. Condoms, Diaphragms, etc are not as effective.

Depending on how long you want to remain child-free, Paragard might be an option. It lasts forever, chemical-free. Some people have horror stories, though. At the end of the day you have to find what works best with your lifestyle, priorities, and values.

I found this tool from Planned Parenthood very helpful. It's a quiz to determine what BC method is best for you

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/all-access/my-method-26542.htm

There might be a few that you didn't even know about :).

8. jillgrand123

jillgrand123 Guest

Everyone's body reacts differently to different birth controls.

That said, using the Nuvaring was the worst thing I've ever done, everrr!!!!

I have always maintained a good weight. After using the Nuvaring for 5 months I have put on 25 lbs and another 5 lbs when I went off it. It's been over a month since I went off it, and I can't seem to lose the weight.

In addition to the weight gain, I was moody and depressed, had dryness down there and totally lost my sex drive.

I've heard stories of people who loved it (it's super convenient not to have to remember to take a pill every day) and didn't gain weight, but I've Googled a LOT (since I'm trying to find out how and when this weight will come off) and I've seen more horror stories than positive ones.

Hope that helps!