"Existential purpose?"

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by MyTurn!, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

First of all, we evolve to exist in the environment provided, not the other way around. Second, our moon is the fifth largest in the solar system. Third, Jupiter is more radioactive than all of the other planets combined.

Alonso376 likes this.
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

My work includes the syntax of the brain, the immune and reproductive systems, and includes the mathematics to design a Woody Allen style "Orgasmitron" that will leave her speechless, and begging for more. In VR, she can fuck a 2,000lb bull if she wants.

Alonso376 likes this.
  3. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

Agree. First we evolved to have hard penises in the environment provided. Second, our moon is a key factor to human evolution. Third, Jupiter is not radioactive very much.

4. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

Nice

5. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

[​IMG]

6. wooleeheron

The latest evidence all indicates classical evolution cannot explain how animals evolve as species. In groups, classic logic breaks down, just as it does in quantum mechanics. Our macroscopic world is obviously more orderly than the subatomic, but ultimately makes no known causal sense whatsoever. Jupiter is more radioactive because Jupiter is larger than everything else in the solar system combined, including the asteroids and comets, and is a proto-star that puts out more energy than it receives.

You should tell NASA the earth's moon isn't the largest. Io is slightly larger, but is another exception.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Solar_System_Moons_Lithograph.pdf

7. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

wooleeheron likes this.
  8. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

What evidence? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and a mountain of it currently points in the entirely opposite direction.

themnax and Tishomingo like this.
  9. sosmartamadeus

sosmartamadeus Members

I'm not aware of there being a word to describe purpose in existentialism. I don't think you could specialize "purpose" for an existentialist. It seems like that would be sort of an oxymoron. But I could be wrong and maybe there is a word for it.

But the essence of existentialism to me has always seemed the futility of words to express contemporary knowledge. Where once we were the center of the universe, we became from, a grand perspective, virtually invisible.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  10. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think Dawkins' concept of meme as a unit of culture is useful as an analogue to genes and viruses. Of course, it's a just a metaphor, and metaphors are primarily heuristic in function.

11. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I tend to use the word "choice" following Camus, or "will" following Nietzsche, or "bet"/"wager" following Pascal (but without his essentialist assumptions). Existentialists come in many varieties. There are leapers like Kierkegaard and hoppers like me, who like to place educated bets as much as possible.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  12. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Have you ever waded through Being and Nothingness or Being and Time? They do tend to confirm your theory about the futility of words (inadvertently I think on the part of Sartre and Heidegger, respectively). But they sure use a lot of them doing so.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  13. sosmartamadeus

sosmartamadeus Members

I haven't, but I get it.

I've come to the conclusion it's a tad self-indulgent, though.

Before man was set at the center of the world, which was ignorant, but existentialism doesn't supplant that with focusing on nurturing others as I believe it should.

Instead it seems to literally posit that self-indulgence is all we can ever know, with kind of the suggestion that we all can relate harmoniously because we share the same pitiful state of obliviousness.

I've dealt with that closely...but ultimately I think there's a reason why the human heart is so perseverant. I just think the opposite of existentialism needs to rear its ugly head.

That we're a cherished part of a cherished story we only have the faintest inkling of. That there's actually a natural reason why celebration is so abundant.

Blind pessimism seems so much more sensible than blind optimism...but why?

Shit needs to get poetic.

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  14. wooleeheron

Among other things, the latest statistical study has revealed that the pace of evolution increases with higher temperatures at higher altitudes. Merely competing better in one environment, doesn't mean you evolve faster.

15. wooleeheron

He was not offering the term "meme" as merely a metaphor, but as a way to promote the evolution of language, when he has no clue how languages work. Militant atheists love to play with definitions and invent their own all the time, and often could not teach a child how to use a dictionary if their lives depended on it. Its assholes like Dawkins who have run academia into their dirt, insisting they have the right to spout any meaningless rhetoric and nonsense they want, and encourage the public to do so as well. Donald Duck is credited with well over 4,000 lies during his time in office alone, but nobody is calling him and the half the country compulsive liars, because almost nobody even knows how to use a stupid dictionary, thanks to modern science.

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Actually, he was offering the term to explain the development of religion.
    “Just as genes propagate themselves in the gene pool by leaping from body to body via sperms or eggs, so memes propagate themselves in the meme pool by leaping from brain to brain.” Dawkins, The Selfish Gene (1976)

He's a biologist, not a linguist. The linguistic and internet morphing of the concept can be regarded as an illustration of cultural mutation and evolution.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

:laughing:

I like the direction here.

Discussion of evolution that brings into it language, etymology, our vernacular, its purpose, perhaps, and the literal formation of our sentence structure from "thou art hast" to "you have" and for many eons before far less...

It's fascinating! :)

Thank you, @wooleeheron

18. wooleeheron

And inspired millions to babble complete nonsense for decades, then, refused to even tell them they were babbling nonsense. Linguists had to give the damned word a demonstrable meaning, or it would have gone in the dictionary and encouraged billions to babble complete nonsense for decades to come.

The evidence is that neither militant atheists nor fundamentalists could teach a child how to use a fucking dictionary if their lives depended on it, and both deliberately poison any neutral ground between them. In the thriving democracies in the developed world, the number of people identifying themselves as merely agnostic has more than doubled, only when atheism and religion are relegated to minorities. There's a reason nobody I asked in over a decade knew the dictionary merely contains popular definitions, because academics are fucking liars, who promote the tyranny of the mindless mob and the wealthy. By merely encouraging everyone to argue over the definition of stupid, and to believe in things like common sense which has never been proven to exist anywhere on the planet, academics have ensured that a quarter of the developed world still insists the sun revolves around the earth, and Galileo would be imprisoned by Donald Duck.

I'm writing the book on the subject, of how to mathematically dissect every fucking word academics spout, and throw their own crap right back in their faces, with the precision of quantum mechanics. The analog logic I've developed over 35 years of hard work, makes it easy for anyone with a serious home computer to crunch the numbers themselves, and profit off academics arguing all the time over bullshit.

soulcompromise likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

:joycat:

20. wooleeheron

Fuck em all, earth doesn't have time for anymore of their nonsense. My work is already online in the public domain and explains in detail how to exploit all their fucking lies for profit in a few million ways, using a home computer. The Pentagon would require at least three years on a supercomputer to reproduce my results.

soulcompromise likes this.