Evolution, to a believer, must be seen as real, but not having a beginning, if God has life.

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by GreatestIam, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Things only evolve in time. But time isn't real. Everything is eternal. God exists beyond time where everything is eternal and lasts forever.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Is time subjective perhaps? We live on earth, and everything we know about time is based around our rotation each day in 24hrs and the 365 day year around the sun. We dissect a day into hours, hours into minutes and minutes into seconds based on our position in the solar system.

Would time be subjected to change if we lived elsewhere, like on Saturn where the implifications of being further from the sun now makes 1 year on Saturn 29.4 earth years, but a day only last 10.4hrs.

Would our mathematics have changed also because of this fluctuation?

3. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Do you think that anything said after, --- god said, --- is a truth?

Regards
    DL

4. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Thanks for sharing your fantasy.

Sympathies.

Regards
    DL

5. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Who made you believe that a god exists?

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

What is God?

Further.

Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

Regards
    DL

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Probably would have been quite a bit easier on humanity had we remained knuckle dragging simpletons. But nooooooooo- evolution just couldn't leave well enough alone--now we get to argue interminably over that which cannot be substantiated. Ad infinitum.

Okiefreak likes this.
  7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Harvard evolutionary psychologist Steven Pinker makes the same point. "Our minds evolved by natural selection to solve problems that were life and death matters to our ancestors , not to commune with correctness or to answer any question we are capable of asking. We cannot hold ten thousand words in short-term memory. We cannot see in ultraviolet light. We cannot mentally rotate an object int he fourth dimension. And perhaps we cannot solve conundrums like free will and sentience."

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. No one. My parents never went to church or brought us to church. I've gone to church twice in my life, because friends brought me, and I found the whole thing quite ridiculous. One night, when I was eight or nine, my parents got drunk and introduced us to Jesus Christ, but in their opinion...well, their opinion was the basic, "He was just a really nice guy." I dunno, they were drunk that night. When they were drunk, they'd often get nostalgic for hippie times. Then my dad became an atheist and my mom professed that aliens had seeded the Earth. But for some reason they taught us the Lord's Prayer and my dad would say, "Say your prayers," every night before we went to sleep. I guess back then I was just really concerned about my loved ones. I knew they were going to die someday, and it really bothered me. So I would pray really intensely to God at night on their behalf. "God bless my mom, dad, Megan, and Wendy. God bless everybody down on Earth that's good; God bless everybody up in Heaven. God bless all the pets, relatives, and friends I've ever had. God bless you three. God bless me. God bless everybody. Amen." I still remember exactly what I would say, because I said it every night.

I've pretty much formed my own opinions about God, though. I don't believe that the Bible is God. I was always just kind of a gentle soul who was really concerned about others, when it came right down to it. When I delved into the Bible, I was just looking for confirmation on some level of things I already believed. All of the names and what not didn't strike me as being of the utmost importance. Obviously it's inspired by a belief in a higher order of existence, which I believe in, but I doubt God has ever heard of it.

Okiefreak likes this.
  9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Most fun I had in a church was when a couple ne'r do wells commenced to saunter down the isle of the Catholic church playing a ukelele on Sunday. Drunk of course. I went because my Portuguese girl friend thought i might like it. Oh--I did!!

GreatestIam likes this.
  10. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Fools will indeed do as you say.
    The wise man will just say that there is no supernatural god.

Regards
    DL

11. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

We all create our own ideals and gods, as you have done. We just do not all give them sentience and power over us.

Regards.
    DL