Every Two Weeks.

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Jimbee68, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Is it just me, or has anyone ever noticed that the national media reports a story involving violence and the mentally ill every two weeks? And is this something new? Cause I could swear it's a more recent phenomenon.

You know most mentally ill are not violent. In fact in some categories they are even less likely to be violent than the general population.

Also, I have noticed with other groups there is usually a disclaimer. For example when they reported on an illegal immigrant that was violent, they mentioned illegal immigrants are actually less likely to commit a crime.

What gives?

2. I haven't noticed, but I don't keep up with the news. So many people regard themselves as being "mentally ill" it's almost like being "mentally well" is an aberration itself. Why is it a measure of health to be happy in this world full of violence, violence which is sometimes committed by the mentally ill.

That sounds absurd. Violence SOMETIMES committed by the mentally ill?! Where is the sane man this all revolves around, I wonder. The one who can pick up a gun, I guess, and start killing people and still not be regarded as mentally ill. There is a darkness in murder that itself would make you mentally unwell, I would think. It definitely should be like that. You shouldn't go into a murder mentally well and come out the other side still mentally well. That would be insane.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmm.... Seems like every two days.

4. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Sadly that is one of the myths, perpetuated by the media, among others. No, evil is not itself a mental illness. Although most people would agree it is 'intrinsically disordered' I suppose.

Mental illnesses are brain-based chemical imbalances. How do we know? They are treated with medicines. Antipsychotics and antidepressants. And even Ritalin, if you will.

But you are right. People who do violence do have psychological (notice not psychiatric) problems.

But who knows. Maybe some day the twain shall meet, and there will be a medicine to treat violence too. I even posted my theory on these boards about that not too long ago.

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't follow the news. the trump meme thread on here is basically just a bunch of pictures of people i've never seen before, with a caption that doesn't seem to relate to anything that i'm familiar with.

drug pushers pushing drugs is not how we know the cause of mental illness. we have medical science to thank for teaching us the cause of any diseases we know the cause of.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This widely believed theory that has been used by pharmaceutical companies so sell their pills has never been proven...

7. Just because evil delusions can't be treated with medicine doesn't mean they're not psychological disorders. Anyway they can be treated with medicine. They just usually aren't until it's too late.

Mental illness is a chemical imbalance because one's mentality can be altered through substances? Anybody's behavior can be altered through medication. Whether or not one's behavior constitutes a disorder depends on if others find it pleasing or not. People say and do the dumbest shit, but they have no ability to think outside the box so they are "well."