Ever Try A Turnip Or A Parsnip?

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Jimbee68, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Quite some time back, actually I think it was 1990 or 91, I was a young man out on my own for the first time, to some degree. And I delighted in trying new things too.

That is when I got the idea of buying unique vegetables, at local supermarkets. Turnips and parsnips. I had heard of them, but I never tried them before. And supermarkets always seem to carry them for some reason (maybe I am not the only one interested in them).

Turnips are basically just big radishes, I found. But they are a little milder. Raw, they would go well in a dip. Cooked, they are served mashed, somewhat like mashed potatoes. Anyways, this is the forum for Munchie Recipes. So here is the link to my dip recipe, if you are looking for one to go with the raw turnips you all surely will try now: https://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/482774-peanut-curry-dip/ As I said before, curry powder goes excellently with any vegetables. It must with turnips too, I would imagine.

Parsnips are basically a big, white carrot. But they are stronger-tasting--and sweeter. Once you cook them, they lose some of their strong flavor. I once saw a french recipe for serving them, cooked up of course, in a white sauce, with carrots. Most people have never tried parsnips. So this recipe will definitely keep them guessing. They will be eating both orange and white stuff, but they will both taste like carrots. If you don't know what a white sauce is, here is the Betty Crocker recipe: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/white-sauce/f610bfaf-e83b-4243-997b-ec16b8f5e155

Well, who is going to try these recipes now? Or who already has? I would love to hear your stories.

:chef:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

I've been eating much these food lately

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I like them in a winter vegetable mix--roasted with squash, carrots and sweet potato, perhaps. A little bit of salt, olive oil, and pepper. You don't need much else.

1 person likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm pretty sure i've never seen either of these vegetables in real life.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Was Raised On Them......And Look How I Turned Out......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

All the time ! Parsnips are nice roasted like a Potato

1 person likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Turnips are pretty gross

8. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Never tried parsnips, but turnips, ugh. The only part of a turnip I can stand are the greens. I liked them cooked with some bacon or ham, onion, salt and pepper. Then before I eat them I pour vinegar on them. Good with fried chicken, white beans, mashed potatoes and cornbread.

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That's very southern of you, tumbling!