Ever see the beatles in concert?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I'm so glad to hear you made it through all that. :) My mom has breast cancer, and she's going through her radiation treatment now. The doctors said she's really lucky because they caught it in it's very early stages, so it hadn't start spreading yet. They say she'll be rid of it completely once she's done with her radiation, but I still worry about her. :(

But there are plenty of surviors! You being one of them gives me even more hope!

That was way off topic, wasn't it? :p

2. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I understand what you're saying completely. However, and I don't know about anyone else, but I admire John for his beautiful music. I never knew him, so I don't admire him on a personal level.

Though I do commend him for all the things he's done for peace. :)

3. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

You are certainly right when you say that John was far from perfect, and he would have been the first one to agree with you in saying that he was not worthy of the spotless reputation he seems to have now. He carried a great deal of pain and guilt for the things he did in his lifetime that he knew he had done wrong and would have changed if he had them to do over.
    He was no saint, and he was no devil.
    He was only a man...a man with a great amount of talent and a beautiful heart, but still just a man with imperfections and failings.
    In answer to your question, he did just about anything he could get his hands on during that period in his life. He felt lost and was seeking comfort wherever he could find it. I know he experimented with heroin (later he bacame addicted, and later still he gave it up for good), and he also was into cocaine, speed, and of course marijuana. I smoked pot with him on one occasion, but never did anything else at that time. Once, May told me a story about how she went to someone's house with him and he asked the person they were visiting (I can't remember who it was, sorry) if they had any coke. The person handed him an empty vial but there was a little powder clinging to the sides of the tube. He had an eyeshadow brush and he was wiping out this little container and sniffing at this brush thingie for like half an hour...he didn't get anything out of it, but that will show you that he was really into this stuff. I never knew him to have any drugs at all on him, though. He would just ask if there was anything around and if the answer was yes, he would happily try whatever it was.He drank quite a lot at that time too, but most of the people I knew did that.
    For what it's worth, I doubt that what you read about Yoko going out to get girls for John was true. There are a few books out there about him that contain a lot of untrue information, and you must have read one of them. While it is true that Yoko sent him to LA with May, she did not as a rule serve as a pimp for him. When he was unfaithful, and until he went back to Yoko after his "lost weekend", he certainly was unfaithful, he was capable of finding his own women.

4. mikeyjwest

mikeyjwest Member

Thanks for answering. The stuff you said about his drug life was pretty intersting.

5. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

That's sad. :( Poor John. I often wonder what he would be like if he were alive today. I often wonder what the WORLD would be like if John were alive today. Who knows...

6. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

No need to be sad...John eventually beat all of his addictions (except cigarettes) and was drug free when he moved on to his new existence.
    As long as we remember him, and I believe we always will, he will never truly be gone. He left a legacy that will keep him alive forever.

7. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

The lives of john lennon by albert goldman paints a horrible picture of him, from wife beater to hateful father

8. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

My mom says i'm John Lennon reincarnated, he he

9. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Hehe. Have any feelings for Yoko? ;)

10. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

When I was 16 and John Lennon was 36, I walked into a bar in Uncasville, CT (what would John Lennon be doing in a bar in uncasville? what wouldn't he be doing in a bar in Uncasville?) He was a regular in the bar and everyone knew him. They called him "Manjoomboo-sensei". To tell you the truth he was a total lush. He was a fallover drunk when I met him, there was corn falling out of his mouth. His bus had broken down outside the bar the month before and he'd been there ever since. It was a cold night, the Thursday that we met. It was the summer I had discovered my woman-hood. As I walked by the docks the pelicans seemed to be saying, "wouldn't you wish'd to go on forever, wouldn't you wish'd to go on forever." I walked into Scuzzy's Bar and I saw him sitting there all alone. I strutted up to where he was sitting and sat down beside him. A small man, fiddling with his zipper walked up and said, "there are seven levels, Manjoomboo-sensei." John nodded gravely and said, "Aye, but alas there are also seven members of the Justice League." I sat with him and talked for a while. We talked of many things, fools and kings, this he said to me. "At scuzzy's the beer flows like our inner selves." That night we went back to his bus that was sitting outside of the bar. He invited me into his casba (also know as the bus). We had tantric sex for 20 hours straight. I can't say that that was the best thing that happened, it was that afterwards we became good friends. During the night, whilst we lay in each other's arms, I turned to him and whispered, "Manjoomboo-sensei, was it good for you?" But he was alseep. I watched the sun rise and the darkness dissapear from his dimples and listened to the mournful cry of the titihoya. We should have been eating cake, but our hearts were bleeding... I miss him to this day.

11. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

I've never seen the Beatles in concert, and haven't "met" a Beatle either (no wonder, I'm 15), but I've seen Paul in concert last year and i'm gonna see (and hear!) him again on 06/04 this year! Yay! [​IMG]

12. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Awesome! I read that little report recently about how Paul got in trouble for disturbing the peace. LOL He was practicing for his upcoming tour, and apparently his bass was "too loud." Some 67 year old guy called the police and complained, saying Paul's bass sounded like a "ghettoblaster" and his cat was disturbed.

Nice to know that at 61 Paul McCartney can STILL rock. :D

13. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Also, has anyone noticed how Sean Lennon is looking more and more like John these days? It's eerie! This girl I talk to went to see him perform at a club in NYC on May 18th, and she got a few pics. Eerie indeed!

14. deezee

deezee Member

i was lucky enough to grow up in nyc and saw the beatles 5 times in concert and once at the airport when they came in from the uk. it wa smy dad's birthdya and he took me to the airport on feb 7 1964 to await their arrival. they actually performed 6 times in nyc but one was a charity concert in sept of 1964 that cost way too much for me to be able to attend. my girlfriend's uncle was one of their press agents so we went to carnegie hall, the 2 shows at forest hills and the 2 shows at shea in 1965 and 1966. the first show at shea cost $5.65 and the second show in 1966 went up an astronomical .10 cents to $5.75 a ticket! the worst part for my friends and i was that we were finally supposed to get to meet them in 1966 but my friend's uncle dropped dead one week before he was going to be able to arrange that. naturally being the sensitive kid i was, i remember saying the minute i heard he died.."couldn't he have waited a week?"....

not too nice but definitely how i felt at the time.

deezee

15. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Six bucks for a Beatles concert??? :eek: I know things were "cheaper" back then, but holy moly!

My have times changed! Nowadays, I think a ticket to Paul's concert is around $70-$90.

Though back in those days $5.75 was more than what it is now.

16. deezee

deezee Member

ginge

back then my dad probably earned about $200 a week for a family of 6 and we were considered middle class. more amazingly, we lived in manhattan on that kind of salary. i paid for the tickets myslf by babysitting and the going rate was 35-50 cents an a hour. what is even more amazing in this day and age is that there were hardly any items to be found for sale inside the arenas..especially at the first shows. at forest hills we bought a picture from a guy selling them outside who wasn't with the arena..just someone selling them on the street. we did that cause there was no one selling anything in the arena that i remember. i bought a tee shirt and a program (still have both and my ticket stubs)at shea stadium but i only remember that i bought the program in the venue. i think i bought the tee from someone outside cause they weren't selling them inside. in this day and age no one makes money on the show. they all make the bulk of their money on the merchandising.

i also still have a few blades of grass that paul (it actually could have been any of them but i wanted to believe back then that it was paul) stepped on when they were leaving and some of us stormed the field in 1966. it's been in an envelope ever since.

if anyone remembers much about these shows then they are a better person than i am. all i can tell you is that when it is happening and the beatles are on stage for literally only about 25 minutes, all i can remember doing, besides screaming, was saying to myself "this isn't a dream..they are right there". it was a very surreal feeling each time. being that young probably had a lot to do with it too.

deezee

17. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

That's great!! [​IMG] I could only imagine what it was like to live through Beatlemania. *sigh* Fun times. :)

18. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

My aunt did, when they came to Philly in '64. And that was the only time they came to Philadelphia.

19. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

That's groovy you saw John Lennon Angelgodiva! He's my fave! I saw Ringo in concert in 2004....
    [​IMG]

20. chandlera

chandlera Member

Yes, I saw the Beatles in 1965 in Baltimore. They performed two shows. I was 15 years old. One of my best friend's aunts lived there and purchased 5 tickets. The show was in the middle of the week, and my 'cool' mom let me skip school the next day so we could go to the 10 o'clock show. My friend's older sister drove us there from Portsmouth, Virginia (about 3 hours), and we got there about 9 o'clock. It was a mob scene in downtown Baltimore. Big TV cameras were all over. Even though all the seats were reservered, kids were just pushing forward to try to get to the beginning of the line to get into the Baltimore Civic Center. The police were in full force, but the crowd broke out the plate glass windows at the front of the place! It was crazy. The Civic Center had 3 balconies as I remember, and we were on the 1st row of the 2nd balcony---no one in front of us. They were great seats. They played with Jackie DeShannnon and the Bill Black Combo. When the Beatles ran onstage, the noise was deafening. Girls screaming at the top of their lungs and crying from excitement. John Lennon made a few funny comments during the concert, but you could really only hear part of the music due to all the screaming. I loved it though. It was the experience of a lifetime! I still have the program and the ticket stubs.