Ever saw a band live, end up leaving liking them less

Discussion in 'Live Music Trading Post' started by stonedhearted, Feb 28, 2012.

1. stonedhearted

stonedhearted Members

It's extremely disappointing. The whole experience sucked. On Jan 25th i saw my favourite band Tool. I went with the guy i was seeing at the time. He's never heard of Tool untill i came into his life. He got us the tickets and i we were both pretty stoked cause it was a first concert for both of us. It was at the ACC which is a stadium that has seats. I didn't like that idea because it felt like i was just watching a movie.
    So anyway we get there, blaze before going in, find out seats and got prepared for some epic shit. He starts being a downer which automatically brings down my mood. Then Tool finally gets on stage, everyone's excited and shit. During their second song there are still people coming into the auditorium, and i thought that was totally rude. I've never been to a concert so I don't know if that's normal. But i thought it was rude. You paid money to see them why would you let yourself be late because you needed a beer? I don't understand.
    While i was watching Tool play, i felt like they didn't want to be there. No movement on stage. Plus no movement from the crowd because everyone is in seats. It felt boring to me. The concert looked exactly like how it does in every picture I've seen of them on stage. So it was like i wasn't seeing anything new. Then in the middle of everything people kept walking right in my way to go get more beers. I finally got mad enough i started yelling at the douche bags. After that no one crossed me.
    But then later i was standing up, the fucker beside me sat in my seat. He said someone took his seat and that he paid for mine. Which makes no fucking sense because my ticket said that seat number. Finally the fucker moved. Though just by having to deal with those fucks i had to miss part of it. I've never been more livid.

Anyways, Tool is no longer my favourite band due to this and i am turned off from concerts. I also realized that guy wasn't for me and I am no longer with him. Though the band did sound really good. That's the only positive thing i can say.

Has anyone been as dissapointed as i was after leaving a concert?

2. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

so the band sounded good, but there were douchebags at the concert....so now you don't like the band anymore?

people are gonna drink at most concerts. and walk in front of you.

3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you're the tool

i paid my own seat so if i wanna come late who the fuck are you to tell me i shouldnt....i been to well over a thousand concerts and its very very very normal for people to be walking around for the entire show....thats what people do...its called having fun at a concert...which you obviously did not...lotsa times i am backstage when the show starts and i dont take my seat till i am good and fucking ready......its people like you that ruin it for people like me.....i suppose you are pissed about people standing up too.....my fucking lord.....

4. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

Yeah that is just something you have to deal with when you go to big shows like that. I try to keep the venue as small as possible.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've been disappointed by a couple shows, Tool certainly wasn't one of them. I don't stop listening to a band's records if I didn't enjoy them live necessarily but I might be kind of turned off from getting more into their catalog. The Black Crowes was probably the most disappointing show I went to, it was set up to be an awesome evening...

My gf at the time paid for the tickets for my birthday, I was getting more and more into their music and their stage props were some giant psychedelic mushrooms, so I thought for sure I was in for something special. Their set was way more jam band like compared to their bar band riff oriented type albums and the lead singer was obviously trashed. This was around the time he was breaking up with Kate Hudson, so he definitely was slurring his words and seemed like a wreck. I didn't really listen to much more outside their greatest hits and a couple tracks on the early records.

The other disappointing show that sticks out to me was The Mars Volta on new years. I had seen them once before at an outdoor venue and they absolutely tore it up, I honestly thought they could have given Zeppelin a run for that money that night. So for sure this time I thought they'd be awesome as well. It was new years and they played in an indoor venue and their sound just did not seem meant for a indoor venue like that, the sound seem like it got trapped and was just one wall of noise basically. They also were adding like horns and other instruments that they didn't have previously which didn't help at all, and I haven't checked out any of their newer albums since then.

6. stonedhearted

stonedhearted Members

I said i'd never been to a concert so i didn't know what to expect.
    I didn't know it was a normal thing for people to be blocking my way and i thought everyone would want to be on time. I'm just a concert noob.

7. Perilless

Perilless Member

I've been thoroughly put off Bjork after seeing her live ....twice. The first time was at Glastonbury, a big festival in the UK, a few years ago. It was raining, and the whole area was a total mudbath...and she ended up being an hour late for the show, leaving 50 or 60 thousand people to stand in the cold and rain. Then when she finally came on, she was pretty terrible.
    I saw her again this summer, when I happened to be working at a few rock festivals. This time it was at Bestival, on the Isle of Wight. It seemed the sound engineers had fucked something up, as all most people could hear was a wall of bass interspersed with her tinny voice. To top it off, the big screens each side of the stage werent working....so anyone not in the front rows couldnt even see her. I was certainly glad I didnt pay for that show...and I'm not interested in seeing her again or hearing any of her new stuff. Bleh!

8. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i saw cage the elephant open for another band i actually wanted to see. before the concert, i thought they were alright, i like a couple of their songs from the radio. after seeing them live, i lost all respect i might ever have for them. they were absolutely terrible, and since then i've heard all kinds of positive reviews about their live performances. i don't get it

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

if you didn't know what to expect, why would you start yelling at people for getting up?

10. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

as for the original question, i saw attack in black live a few years ago and it really ruined them for me. i really liked one of their albums but their live show and other albums were all shitty.

also saw USS live. i didn't like them before, but hearing/seeing them live was painful. just sounded awful, and they jumped around so much on stage that i felt sorry for how awkward they looked.

11. learn2see

learn2see Member

They sounded good and the bend members didn't do anything douche=y. I saw Taking Back Sunday and they're crappy as hell live and New Found Glory was just all washed-up and pissed off they had to play a show. If you don't want to play shows, then quit being a band. Shit.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, if you have high hopes and everything (except the sounds) is less than you expected it can be a downer indeed. I would have been very dissappointed as well if I went to a first time concert of a favourite band of mine and it turned out to have seats.
    I've been to loads of concerts but never to one with seats, it seems like such a turn off indeed. I can see if you're in this situation with seats and lines it gets more annoying when people have to get in front of you all the time to get out of the line of seats too and that you as a first-timer are suprised by this since it looks more like a movie theatre this way. I think honestly I would feel dissappointed as well.
    I hope for you that you don't get turned off of concerts by this 'cause in a normal concert hall (or even better: outside) you'll see that getting beer during a concert is not a hassle or looks rude. Only thing I don't get either is why you take it out on the band :p

13. stonedhearted

stonedhearted Members

Because they were blocking my view. Not just walking past me, but standing in my way for minutes to get back to their seat.