Ever Read George Orwell's '1984'?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

The book scared me in the 60s when 1984 seemed far away.
    Big Brother is watching...

scratcho likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Big Brother has been watching me for fifty years. Big Brother can go straight to hell.

phil1965 likes this.
  3. Angelmama

Amen.

4. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I'm not sure what the agenda is, but it is definately something sinister, as I said our PM was going on about a massive rise in cases and in the next breath proudly announced they had massively increased the number of tests carried out! Now the more you do anything the more you increase the probability of altering the outcome, a person who drives 10,000 miles a year in a car is statistically more likely to have an accident than one who only drives say 1000 miles a year, etc, etc. So why he tries to disassociate one set of figures from another is beyond me, there are lots of things going on at the moment that lead me to suspect something big is happening in the background and let me say I consider myself to be pretty level headed, I don't go in for all this hidden UFO's at Roswell, or the conspiracy stuff surrounding the death of JFK, to me there's something going on here and as yet I 'don't know what. Maybe it's somekind of test by the governments to see just how far the ordinary people can be pushed and controlled before they react!

wrat1 likes this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Phil

You have no actual evidence but you are definite, why?

I believe it is gauged – to put it in simple terms if do only a thousand tests a day and the average is 1% positive it doesn’t matter if you do 10,000 test the next week if again the average remains at 1% then the case number is steady – but if you are doing 1000 test a day or 10,000 and the average begins to go up to 2% or 5% then you know cases are rising in number. It is actually far better to do more testing because that will give greater accuracy in working out the average and the distribution.

The probability example you give doesn’t work – the probability of contracting the virus does not go up because of the number of positive tests – the test doesn’t create the positive result it only finds the positive result – a positive pregnancy test is not the moment of conception that has already happened.

The probability is increased due to greater social interaction if you reduce the numbers of interactions you reduce the possibility of passing on the virus. – So if a person meets 10,000 people in a week they are statistically more likely to contact the virus than someone who only meets 10. That was the reason for lockdown. If precautions are taken (hand washing, masks, social distancing etc) then the probability goes down if not the probability goes up.

What exactly?

MeAgain likes this.
  6. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Right, the 'bubble' idea is a load of crap, we can meet up in groups no bigger than 6, but not an exclusive 6, so in other words, I can meet up for lunch with you and 4 others, then meet up later with 5 totally different people, now suppose I have Covid, but am unaware of it, I have potentially infected 11 other people, but what about the people they met up with after me? Also this 'airbridge' rubbish, they say I cannot travel direct from say China, to the UK because they have the virus, I can however fly from China to Germany and then onward to the UK, so does this mean the virus is magically stopped by not flying direct, no it doesn't, it's people talking bollocks becasue they haven't a clue.
    The rules are changing daily and making no sense whatsoever, also why do restrictions come in at stupid times, take the plane thing the other day, if you come in from abroad you have to quarantine, why the hell was it brought in at 4am?
    The lockdown was shite in the UK too, we stopped people traveling from town to town yet still alllowed people in from abroad!

wrat1 likes this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Phil

Can you please answer the questions I asked?

As to the other stuff – that is about incompetence and a neoliberal government that seemed more interest in money than people’s health, which has ended up resulting in a bigger death toll and a deeper recession than many places that took the threat more seriously.

MeAgain likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It's not a virus that's causing the 1984 effect...

MeAgain, unfocusedanakin and erofant like this.
  9. erofant

erofant Members

As you said ....... that is the reason for "locking down" as some have called it - even though some right-wing nut jobs talked as if we were actually locked in our homes literally. (which was never the case!) The truly gullible folks raged that this was an assault on their "Constitutional right to freedom." I would ask those LEMMINGS if they'd be OK with a surgeon exercising the right to NOT wear gloves and a mask when they operate on them then.

Health & safety rules exist for valid reasons. The fact that some idiots want to turn valid safety efforts into political rage DOES NOT invalidate those reasons. It only serves to make the political "ragers" look stupid.

scratcho likes this.
  10. erofant

erofant Members

Correct - It's Rump and THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. They want to control the elections, the judiciary ( the court system ), & Congressional districts by their blatant gerrymandering - and the news we citizens get by calling any news that they don't approve of - "fake news." They spread propaganda to fool the under-educated gullible folks into believing lies. AND THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT IT.

What we're witnessing is the very same scenario written about in "1984."

The ironic thing is ........... it's being done by the very REPUBLICAN PARTY that always screams "freedom." But it's they who are interfering with people's right to vote, they who are spreading lies, they who gerrymander & alter Congressional districts to assure Republican winners - thus insulating themselves from voter repercussions. This essentially "corrals" enough Republican voters in the re-drawn, altered districts so no other party can win or oppose them. Those actions are taking AWAY freedoms!!! This is exactly what happens in Russia, China, N. Korea, and several other authoritarian dictatorships. HOW CAN THE AMERICAN PEOPLE NOT SEE AND RECOGNIZE THIS????

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    scratcho likes this.
  11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Oh but then again a lot of right wing propaganda is like a virus it spread like one and effects people differently some are well informed and questioning and are therefore immune while others are much more gullible and fall for it hook, line and sinker

scratcho, erofant and Tyrsonswood like this.
  12. Angelmama

I downloaded and listened to the audio book yesterday.
    When I read it years ago I didn't assign any. particular face to BB.
    Yesterday every time they mentioned the face, all I could see was Trump's bloated, orange kisser.

erofant and scratcho like this.
  13. wrat1

wrat1 Members

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

14. Angelmama

Ignorance is spelled with a capital T.

15. Kokiri_Heathen

Kokiri_Heathen Members

For a moment I thought you were going to reference José Ortega y Gasset's "The Revolt of the Masses (La rebelión de las masas)". Which is a great book, too.

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I agree with you on that one. Unfortunately Tony Blabbermouth (sorry Blair :yum:) was in power at the time.

In today's society, I think that the individual people running the country are more important than the sign over their door.

I am not a particular fan of Boris, but we could have easily done worse.

stormountainman likes this.
  17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Censorship is an inappropriate topic .

wrat1 likes this.
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

And he could have done far far far far far far better - he's been crap i suppose another team could have done worse but they would really have had to try and do so

19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Censorship is moral .

Angelmama likes this.
  20. Angelmama

No! I demand my 1rst amendment rights!!!