Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by mr.morrison, May 31, 2007.

1. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

i dont see what the big deal is? honestly would you rather have your mom who wants to die, die in a clean and painless way or come home and find her head blown off or her hanging by a rope in the kitchen?
    i think that it should be allowed, but the person must not have a mental retardation or something, and make the choice themselves. no one else can make the decision for them. if they are in a coma, too bad. you cant pull the plug.

anyone elses views?

2. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

The problem i have with it is that some people might want to die at one point in their life and not be able to foloow through with the deed themselves. They may regret it later. But I know I'd want to do it if I had a really bad terminal illness (after I did a lot of cool and dangerous things of course).

3. edyb123

edyb123 Senior Member

anyone who tries to control the right of someone else to be able to end their life is a pillock...

4. Mirakel

Mirakel Member

so where do we draw the line?? where is human life sacred and where is it not? if we open the door a crack, and say that "here. right here. it's ok to end human life here" where will we be going? obviously we can't stop people from committing suicide, but ending human life is murder, no matter what cloak you put on it.

5. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Agreed.

6. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

I must set one thing stright here.....euthanasia and scuicide are NOT the same thing....(i had ethics last semester, and the point was made quite clear to me and my classmates by my professor)

on that note, i am absolutely, positively PRO active euthanasia, voluntary or non-. I would want it for myself, and all members of my family feel the same way. So say you have a week to live in pain, or a hot dose of potassium chloride and get it over with......well, duh.

But the problem with active euthanasia is that the medical industry has it written in law that it only favors passive euthanasia; pulling out all the plugs and letting one dehydrate to death. Now which is more humane, in your opinion?

7. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

lol - I don't know how your going to regret being dead lol :)

8. kar33m

kar33m Member

yeah excatly. the point is that it's not called euthanasia unless the patient is terminally ill. Only if he is gonna die anyway, in other words.

It's just a way to have a quick painless death instead of a slow painfull one.
    I am pro euthanasia.

9. 3xi

3xi Senior Member

what we do onto our selves is our own right!!!

10. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Voluntary active euthanasia is in my opinion morally permissible and should be legal. Currently voluntary active euthanasia is allowed in the Netherlands and also in Oregon. In Oregon the guidelines are somehing like this: The patient must be evaluated by two doctors who must agree that the patient's death is unavoidable in the near future (I don't remember the specific lenghts of time invlolved). The patient must make repeated verbal requests to die, followed by a written request to die. The patient must also be found to be of sound mind. If these criteria are met then the patient may be given a lethal prescription which he or she can then choose to use or not use by him or herself with or without help from a care provider. No care provider can be forced to write or administer a lethal prescription.

Some people argue that there is a potential for abuse but I won't buy that argument until there is empirical evidence to back it up. We will have to watch the Netherlands and Oregon in order to gain insight into the effects of allowing active euthanasia on society. I think that it is possible to legislate in such a way as to minimize abuse while allowing sick people to have some control over their last months alive. If a person is dying of cancer, and will be dead within six months, and is in horrible pain when not completely knocked out on morphine, then why not let them kill themselves with a lethal prescription? And I don't buy religious arguments against euthanasia. Asking someone to linger on in pain because your god says so is a very selfish and ugly thing to do

11. noachianite

noachianite Member

My mother strongly disagrees with euthanasia, she thinks that we should only go when God wants to take us. However I believe that God gave us the free will judgement to put others out of their suffering. But the question is which do you believe???? lol

12. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

I'm very Pro Eutanasia, what is worse than keeping a person alive that does not wish to be?
    A great movie on the topic, it's The Sea Inside, it's based on a true story. It's more on the sentimental side, but I think it gives a greater understanding.

13. spirit of the night

spirit of the night Senior Member

put basically, people should have control over their death if they want it.

lets say, there is this old woman, she has lived a full live, she is very old and she is paralysed from the neck down, she has nothing to live for, and she is ready to die, to keep fighting for life would mean alot of pain and would be ultimatly pointless.

why shouldnt she be allowed to die?

take a real example, my great uncle, he has no children, his wife died a year ago, he cannot walk, he just sits there with his carers fighting to keep him alive. why? again, he has nothing to live for.

let people die with dignity and grace.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

14. spirit of the night

spirit of the night Senior Member

oh and another great movie on the subject is million dollar baby.

blessings
    xxx
    xx
    x

15. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

I think it's good.

I had to get my dog put down a couple days ago. He was in pain and the vet said he would have had a violent heart attack if we didnt get him put down.

16. somethingnew111

somethingnew111 Member

I think that this subject can lead to a "slippery slope" type argument, so if there is going to be euthanasia, it needs to be done in a way that allows the person freedom over their life, but does not require the direct actions of another in order to end it.

If it were set up so that each person was supplied with all the means of actually committing suicide, with the special drugs, etc...and it was all set up so that the person needed only press a button, or if they are paralyzed, some other mechanism so that they are the ones performing the action. I think there is a distinct difference between providing someone with the means to kill themselves and actually killing them....neither the state nor doctors should have that right.

17. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

I agree with you.

18. little ski

little ski Member

i completley agree with euthanasia, i think it would work perfectly well if it was regulated. We can all make the judgement when we are well and healthy as to whether or not we would want or life terminated early if we were in extreme pain or terminally ill. I am fit and healthy at the moment but know now that i would want to pass away in as little pain and suffering as possible if i did become ill. We could adopt a similar system to donating organs, where could carry a card or sign some form when we reach a certain age as to whether we would agree to a lethal injection or something similar if we were suffering and our chance of ever living with any quality of life was gone. We put animals to sleep when they are suffering and noone kicks up a fuss, its the humane thing to do.

19. edenfield

edenfield Member

you wouldn't believe what goes on already in the hospitals, doctors are the old but still very much alive gods

20. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

we should be allowed to make our most important decisions for ourselves.
    I agree with Emanresu and WanderingSoul.