Eternal Sunshine On A Spotless Mind

Discussion in 'Movies' started by shutterfly, Jun 3, 2004.

1. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Aaaaw man... such a killer movie! If you haven't already.. go see it! It's bitchin'...

2. floopadelic

floopadelic Member

Yeah - we ended up going to see it twice - first time the power kept breaking down & we left after an hour.

Second time round it made a whole lot more sense, and was much more enjoyable. Darker than 'Being John Malkovich' but just as complex.

Very convincing stoned acting as well

3. crazy_gurl

crazy_gurl Member

the movie was ok... so confusing though! didn't know what was happening half the time... but i kinda understood in the end. it was done well and a very cleverly thought up idea :)

4. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

i loved it..

& was never lost at all. i owe it all to mary jane. ;)

5. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

i thought the acting high was pretty good, but i'm tired of mind fuck for a while. kill bill vols 1&2 and that tom hanks flick, ladykillers all impressed me more than spotless mind. still entertaining and worth my dollars.

6. floopadelic

floopadelic Member

It helped *a lot* to see it a second time :)

I don't think I've enjoyed a film more than this since Donnie Darko - at first I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a more 'obvious' comedy, but it turned out to be much, much better than I'd hoped.

7. JOsie

JOsie Member

i thought it was amazing...it really worked for me cos i'd recently broken up with my girlfriend and felt like whatever the name of jim carreys character is...:S...

it's one of those films i'll buy as soon as it comes out on dvd and watch it all the time..

8. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

It is a really cool movie, although I didn't understand everything. I saw it in London and they didn't have Dutch subtitles :p
    Kate Winslet definetely deserves an Acadamy Award for her performance in this masterpiece!

9. EvaDestruction

EvaDestruction Member

ah, Kabbalist, we meet again.
    I must say that I LOVED this movie. It totally fucked with my head (mostly in the middle), but I thought that Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet both did an amazing job. I also think that Kate is extremely underrated at times and deserves recognition for every performance she's ever been in.
    Back to the movie, right, I actually found it to be a very sad movie, which was curious to me because everyone plugged it as a comedy. I just imagined what it would be like to lose your memories and how horrible it would be...
    nonetheless, see the movie anyway

"Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
    A time of innocence, A time of confidences
    Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
    Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you "- Simon and Garfunkel
    [/COLOR]

10. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I saw ads for it and I thought it looked really good. There's been alot of good movies coming out lately, moreso than all the usual crap--Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind, Coffee and Cigarettes, Triplets of Bellville, Kill Bill 1/2, and Lost in Translation. I really look forward to seeing essm.

11. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Haven't seen it yet, myself, but I did read good reviews of it when it was new. However, I read personal reviews of it that indicated it was very confusing...

DARKER than "Being John Malkovitch"?! I thought that was a disturbingly dark movie! The idea that John Malkovitch was essentially nullified by intruding souls?! How much darker than that can you get?!

btw it's "of the," not "on a." :p

Blue skies,
    -Jeffrey

12. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

We always meet, let's be a team!

13. EvaDestruction

EvaDestruction Member

Yeah Kabbalist! Let's take over, man :p

14. ShadowOnABlackCanvas

ShadowOnABlackCanvas Member

I thought it was kind of sad also...not the ending, but everything leading up to the ending :D.

15. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I liked it. I too found it to be rather sad. The jumping around made me think of Pulp Fiction. Overall, I felt it was well-cast and well-acted. :)

16. yemforbin

yemforbin Member

thought this was a great movie! i especially love the way in all kauffman's movies you'd never expect the actor to pull off the part so well, but they always do an amazing job.

my favorite line of the movie is at the end when they're arguing about whether they should try to date after hearing the tapes:

"but that's the way it's going to happen!!"
    (........silence.........glance........CLICK!........oh yeah!.....)

17. Hippie_Girl

Hippie_Girl Innit!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Amazing film ... It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, beautifully shot and wonderfully acted.. I don't think I've seen Carrey and Winslet in anything better. I want to watch it again though so I guess I miught very soon :) WONDERFUL!

How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
    The world forgetting, by the world forgot
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
    Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.'
    Alexander Pope "Eloisa to Abelard"

BEAUTIFUL!