essure permanent birth control

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by drumminmama, Jun 3, 2006.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Maggie et al, I'm looking for non-company sites and feedback (esp negative) on the Essure permanent birth control method.
    All I'm finding is glowing reccommendations. Nothing gets THIS much good coverage.
    links? optional search terms, anything?

anyone have it?

mil gracias
    dm

2. drumminmama

three days and NO one here has an opinion? are you all OK? ;)

3. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Honestly, I've never heard of it. I'll try and look it up today and get back to you! :)

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I just saw this, now. I am not really familiar with Essure. Do you have any links? Is this the "glue" that is injected into the fallopian tubes and seals them, without a surgical procedure? Because I know this was in the works.

If you have any links, I'd happily look into it.

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

is it the one with the plastic implants they put in your tubes? I'd be most worried about adhesions or scar tissue as a result. Adhesions can be excruciatingly painful, I know this firsthand.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/53/61306.htm

yeh, thought so. What they don't say is that same scar tissue can twist your ovaries around and cause all sorts of problems. What's scary is that the same article also says FDA expedited its approval, meaning it only took the word of the company that manufactures it, and not the well-being of the women who may potentially be harmed by such a device.
    That's not a large enough sample, and not a long enough time frame to really know whether it's safe or not, IMO. It would be intersting to read the actual studies themselves. I'd try www.pubmed.com and www.fda.gov and use their search features to find more information.

6. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Yeah, I dunno. I definitely wouldn't be willing to guinea-pig myself for something as scary as all that!

7. drumminmama

my thought is if the coils in my one fallopian tube casue problems, I can get that section cut later.
    I lost an ovary and FT at 5 mos.
    thanks for the links, but I'm looking for hate sites, really. What's the dirt?

8. Maggie Sugar

drumin, I would look also, at sites for womyn who get adhedsions easily. Some people tend to compartmentalize scar tissue and have no further problems from it, others get adhesions and this can start a chain reaction, like boogie mama said. I've never lost a tube (I have heard it is excruciatingly painful, though) but I have had pelvic adhesions, because I tend to grow that bumpy scar tissue people with Olive or dark skin get (what the heck is that called, perimenopause is wreaking havoc with my ability to remember nouns?)

9. drumminmama

keliod scarring?

10. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

good idea, Maggie. try searching www.adhesions.org see if there's info there about this product.

11. Maggie Sugar

That's it! Fie on this menopause, which is destroying what is left of my brain cells........;)

12. drumminmama

adhesions.net made essure into "easier" -what a lot of hits that was!
    great idea, I'll check it every couple of months.
    Still looking. Anyone know a site where people vent about BC methods?

13. Maggie Sugar

Uh, the WIF on Hip Forums? ;)

14. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

15. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

you might try www.obgyn.net they have lots of different forums there, too.

16. drumminmama

coolio, my sisters. Thanks.

17. Maggie Sugar

Ah, to have a form of BC with requires no constant vigilence, no side effects, not a lot of money and is really really effective.

They are working on an injectable male BC.

18. pandj06

pandj06 Member

I just had essure performed friday - I would highly recommend it, it was painless, I was tired the rest of the day but other than that felt great.

19. lovelythings365

lovelythings365 Member

Hi guys, I just had the Essure procedure done. I have also been trying to find the horror stories and cant find anything but rave reviews and even though I already had it done - I still am looking. which is what lead me to this site. I got it done two weeks ago and it hurt alot more than they tell you but its nothing you cant live through and the worst was over within a day. I had sex last night for the first time and it caused cramping right away and has continued ever since. Now its no where near as bad as what I experienced the day I had the procedure done but I also dont want to keep experiencing cramps everytime I have sex. So I am again trying to find out more info.

20. aspirine

aspirine Member

Lovelything365, it sounds like it is taking your body longer to heal. So wth wait another 4 weeks.