Escape to the Wilderness

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by Sleeping Caterpillar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Has anyone ever just up and left everything?

I don't care for money, work, materialism. But I hate saying that and still living that life style.

I live in Colorado and kind of want to just start backpacking north and west, maybe make it to Canada and Alaska through nature, maybe towns, and just survive! Leave university, work, society behind, it's not the life I want anyways

Can anyone relate, have advise, or similar experiences?

2. |SunDriedLily|

|SunDriedLily| Member

I completely relate. My husband and I are doing the very same thing. We're going to move onto a piece of land my parents have, we're going to live sustainable there hopefully very soon.
    My advice is to read. Read and read and read. And then act on it. Experience it.

3. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sounds lovely! Awesome, thanks I'm looking at survival guides and books about edible plants right now!

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It will take longer but might be better to save up some $$$ buy some land and then go off grid. There will be some need for money for taxes and such... Most places will give classes to pay for those expenses and then play it how you like it.

5. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

I felt the same way when I was your age, in fact I still do, and live a life as close to nature as I can. You will have to learn to take it a step at a time, and actually learn from experience. Grow some food in a garden, go camping, hiking. Study plants and basic survival skills such as how to build a fire by friction. Ease into the lifestyle you want and eventually you will succeed.
    People grow up in our mechanized society without learning the basic building blocks of how to survive off the land, and you will have to acquire those skills before you can make the leap out. Take care, and the best of luck on your journey!

6. NikoGreene

NikoGreene Member

That is the same reason I have joined this forum. It actually makes me cry from time to time living my life as a puppet and feel for at least times I want to backpack across our mother and enjoy nature in all aspects.

7. Sleeping Caterpillar

In my life, I have learned that people including myself can change their minds a lot, and I realize this. I still wish to survive in nature, and I kind of agree with you lafin coyote. I'm finishing college right now, in case I find later in life I need it. And at the same time I'm trying to grow a garden with various plants/vegetables/fruits. as well as study books about plants. I'm also looking at some survival classes to take on

Hiking, Camping, is all well and good and I have experience with it, but surviving long term may make it different. I suggest for people to look at this niffty water bottle: http://www.amazon.com/Lifesaver-Bottle-4000-Ultra-Filtration/dp/B001EHF99A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367847766&sr=8-1&keywords=lifesaver+bottle"]Amazon.com: Lifesaver Bottle 4000 Ultra Filtration Water Bottle: Sports & Outdoors

Sure there are many bottles like this, but this water bottle has pours that are smaller than the smallest: bacteria and virus!! This means you can filter river water, rain water, anything!! It is $200, but this is an investment I sort of seek for my own journey, I hope it will come of interest to others