Ephedra extraction.

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by dynamickid, Jan 15, 2009.

1. dynamickid

dynamickid Hemp Farmer

I was wondering if anyone here has performed an extraction with Ephedra before? If so how were the yields and purity?

2. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

Don't bother. it's not as simple as one might think.

Though I can't really help you at all, I can tell you that if you're trying to get a lot of pure ephedrine this is not the way to do it.

3. dynamickid

dynamickid Hemp Farmer

My actual intentions are to make an extract of the plant material so that i can reduce the amount of material for my energy pills i am currently working on. I was thinking maybe a steam distillation, but not sure if that would work or not?

4. sam&ella

sam&ella Member

Excerpt from:

http://designer-drug.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/ephedrine.html

Extraction of ephedrine

From the Quarterly Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. X, 1937, (London)
    "A NOTE ON THE DETERMINATION OF THE ALKALOIDS OF EPHEDRA"
    by F.E.RYMILL AND C.A. MACDONALD, From Evans' Biological Institute, Runcorn Recieved 12th June, 1937 (From page 463)
    "...Shake frequently during five minutes 20 gm. in No. 40 powder with 200 mils of a mixture of 1 voluome of chloroform and 3 volumes of ether; add 10 mils of dilute solution of ammonia and 1 gm. of anhydrous sodium carbonate. Shake at frequent intervals for four hours and allow to stand overnight. Transfer to a percolator and continue the percolation, first with 100 mils of the ether-chloroform mixture, and then with ether, until the alkaloid is completely extracted; shake the combined percolates with successive portions of 40, 30, 20 and 20 mils of N/3 hydrochloric acid, to the combined and filtered acid extracts, add N/1 sodium hydroxide until the liquid is only slightly acid, then add 10 gm. anhydrous sodiumcarbonate and sufficient sodium chloride to saturate the liquid, and shake until dissolved. Extract the alkaline liquid with four successive portions of 60,50,50 and 30 mils of ether, and then with 25 mil portions of ether until the extraction of the alkaloid is complete (usually five shakings are sufficient). Allow the combined ether extracts to stand until clear, and decant through a filter; warm, warm, and pour off the ether from any crystals which may separate, evaporate to a volume of about 10 mils, and then allow the residual solvent to evaporate spontaneously. Dissolve the residue in an excess of N/10 sulphiric acid, add 20 mils of water, and titrate the excess acid with N/10 sodium hydroxide, using methyl red as indicator; each millilitre of N/10 sulphuric acid is equivalent to 0.01651 gm. of total alkaloids calculated as C10H15ON..."

5. dynamickid

dynamickid Hemp Farmer

Looks like some of rhodium's, archives.. thanks

6. Whoyoucantsee

Whoyoucantsee Member

I can get the 'mormon tea' plant in LBS and bundles in the natural wild where i live near. my sister boils the tea daily in the mornings for drink.

7. dan500

dan500 Member

the amount that can be gleaned is miniscule
    theonly reason chinese ephedra even was from 6-15% was due to injection of
    the ingredient into it

it can be bought from shady countries for around 50-100 for an ounce or more but please dont ask me where officer

If I knew you I would help but I am an old old chemist who has hung up his flasks years ago
    take care