Ending Life Imprisonment?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, May 31, 2021.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am genuinely shocked. I suspected that the figure may have been above 400, but 200,000 sounds ridiculous.
    I an sure that a number of those people should be given a second chance in life.

Needless to say, I am equally shocked that US police shoot more than 1,000 people dead every year while we only manage about 5.
    What is even worse is the 30 or so innocent people shot and killed every year by accident. Our figure on that one is 1 in three decades and that was at the height of a terrorist attack on London.
    Our daughter works with the person who authorized that tragic shooting and she told her that it haunts her every day of her life.

Piobaire likes this.
  2. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Interesting observation....the shape of this curve is very similar to the curve showing the increase in wealth by the richest Americans and the inception of the steep climb also matches the time RR aka Mother Theresa rode into town with his band of Republicans. The goal to redistribute wealth upwards with trickle down “piss” for the lower incomes. Might there be some cause and effect???

3. granite45

Of course the penalties in our”justice” system coddle white collar criminals as compared to poorer people....yet the bank fraud, insider trading and tax cheats victimize far more people for far more money.

Piobaire likes this.
  4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

Baretta

5. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

MP Joe Cox was assassinated because of brexit in 2016. Must we treat her murderer more lenient? I already live in a London where villains can execute anyone they want to but they can never be executed. Will I live in a London where villains can execute anyone they want to but they can never be locked away from taking more lives?

6. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Bingo.

7. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

This proposal of course assumes we know how soon the last hour of a particular criminal might come. But that's another issue.
    it's a complicated issue.
    In my opinion some people deserve to stay in prison for life for what they have done. Some deserve death, and family or other loved ones of victims should be let to flip the switch.
    To be clear, we're talking heinous attacks on victims. With non violent crimes, the death penalty is not appropriate. For multiple robberies for example, I could see them adding up to a life sentence, either explicitly or in effect.
    But I acknowledge some bear a particularly heavy incarceration based on the color of their skin or other similar social factors, which is also another issue: not the issue at hand but nonetheless an issue worth examining, reconsidering, and acting on.

wrat1 likes this.
  8. granite45

There are many ethical problems with the death penalty. One is that innocent people can and have been put to death at the hands of the State. So how do we punish the perpetrators of that crime…the police, the prosecutors, judge, and of course the jury. In many instances such convictions are not an accident but rather a result of corruption on the part of the system, racism, and a general disdain for the have nots in our society. Life imprisonments may result in a person’s life being taken away BUT it can be and has been a reversible decision.

9. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

I can't deny innocent people can and have been put to death both by stupid circumstance and a tendency for people in certain social groups to receive harsher judgement.
    It would make things easier if the suspect admitted fault. Sometimes that happens.

wrat1 likes this.