Empathy

Discussion in 'Psychic' started by osiris, May 11, 2004.

1. osiris

osiris Senior Member

does anyone else here feel what other people feel?

this isn't necessarily telepathy, doesn't have anything to do with the mind, though it can be interpreted by it, but i am wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences feeling the emotions of others....

...for instance, today, my girl's mother came over to drop something off and i could feel this rising irritation from her, directed towards me, very distinctly. I can't read minds, so i could hardly hazard a guess* as to why she was irritated, but i could feel it. of course, she hides her emotions so deeply, i think she even hides them from herself, and gave no outward signs, but in my twenty five years of living i have come to know the onrush of "empathy", or maybe i should call it "telempathy". She is also the grandmother of my recently born child, and i think my child has this, er, gift as well, because, though she was perfectly content before grandma arrived, she began to bawl when grandma picked her up to hold her. she's usually good with her, i hear from my girl, but then, that is when my girl takes her over there without me, so i would not be present to irritate her.

share experiences, and any helpful hints on how i can best harness this energy that flows to me would be wonderful, though i have learned how to handle it as a sort of second nature...

much love :)

*(well, i can guess, but that is insignificant for my aims in this discussion)

2. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I know just what you mean. I am a very empathetic person. I hate to see people in pain because I really do feel their pain. I don't just feel sympathy for then, I really feel part of what they feel. And I can sense what people feel towards me.

3. Indriel

Indriel Member

Hi,
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I often feel emotions from other people, sometimes I can feel when they're upset, sad, angry, even if they aren't outwardly showing any signs of it. Are we just hypersensitive to other people's emotions, d'you think, can pick up on very subtle feelings/vibes from others.
    Do you ever feel suddenly sad, & can't figure out why? Or happy, it can go the other way, too. That happens to me a lot around people & I don't know if I'm picking up on something from others, or if it's just me, being me & having a bit of a mood swing. But, having said all that, I do FEEL stuff - & it's really difficult to explain, but it really is like a vibe in the air around you. I don't know..

4. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

wow, ive always just thought my mind was playing tricks on me...but i always think i know the emotions thats going on inside the person im takling to. and usually when i confront the person about it, they deny what i say i think is true... but i still FEEL that im right, and i know what they are emotionally feelings inside, and i know that im feeling this for a reason im just trying to figure it all out.

5. Incubus

Incubus Banned

Oh my god... I can't believe I over looked my own abilities for so long. Your post has given me so much inspiration and happiness. I cannot describe how frustrating it is knowing I have something special but i dont know what or how to describe it. I dont like to feel what others are feeling but i ALWAYS do.

But most frustratingly... I know what somebodys going to say before they finish and i act like i want them to shut up by the time they begin. I just dont get it I know what somebody wants of me before I hear them say it. I think its a good and bad thing. I am not very good at listening, so isnt that ironic? I wanted to become a phsyciatrist because i thought i would be really good at identifying with people, but now i think i would get bored as soon as they begin talking... "shut up shut up, okay your dad left ur mom at birth, your an only child and you think your depressed.." i always have been like this and its amazing to finally realize that its a gift and an ability. thank you from the bottom of my heart.

6. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

you know whats awesome (not ironic! )about all of this... after you said that... i was just thinking about how being a physciatrist wouldnt be a good thing....

7. kissin_the_clouds

kissin_the_clouds Member

i have often wondered..if my change of moods were because of other people...

but then again it could all be just a choice..

8. osiris

osiris Senior Member

what you are all saying correlates directly. I have been taught to intellectuallize everything(i think we all have), but that seems to be the worst thing i can do in regards to interpreting the flow of emotions. i have learned, for the most part, as starfly says, to let it flow through. but sometimes i still fall into that trap of trying to figure out what another's emotions mean. and starfly, i totally understand what you mean about others literally making you sick. i have been through this in three different relationships, and my girl's pregnancy was the most hellish nightmare i have ever experienced.

and incubus- be careful. you don't really know what you know... unless maybe you have some kind of telepathy as well. i suppose it is not unheard of...

and underwhelmed- that is the hardest thing about empathy. to feel someone's unremitting emotion(or lack thereof) while they flatly deny its existance.

thanks for the link, fly.

anyone else with anything to add would be of great assistance. just knowing that others... *sigh*...

9. Scorpion88

Scorpion88 Member

Hi there, I always thought it was just me!!, I am terribly empathetic, it causes trouble sometimes, as like you say I soak up others moods. Some times, I have taken them on and either confronted the individual, once a man I was with, it used to drive him nuts. He was terribly moody and I would always know and ask what the matter was, and he would get annoyed!!

I think it has something to do with, almost conditioning from the child hood, I was always the sensitive one in the family, But I learnt from my mother that things were never always as they seamed.
    I think as women we are more prone to have this ability,possibly its instinctive as we are protecting our young and have to be able to feel if a child is in danger. But I am more perceptive than my brother and sister, i have thought of becoming a counsillor also,as all the way through my life I seemtoattract people who need help,and I have always been the one who was able to 'see' if a person was having troubles.
    another angle that I whonder is well as I study astrology,and have gazed at my birth chart loads I know what gives me this ability. So I wondered if allyou others who share this ability have any water in their charts as they are supposed to be intuitive and sensitive.. I believe pisces, is the sign that often is associated with this ability.

10. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Wow! I always thought I was alone in this too.

It bothered me so much at one time, I had to write a story about it, to try to exaggerate the situation so I didn't feel so bad about my real situation.

I wish I had something helpful to say, but I don't.

I'm so happy to read this thread though.

yay!

11. osiris

osiris Senior Member

in regards to astrology- i am a sagitarius born in the chinese year of the horse(1978). basically i got double horse, because the sagitarian archer is a centaur. i carry people.

12. FallenDreamer

FallenDreamer Member

No clue but it's interesting the levels of control and power people have. I don't have more then an idea of what someone is feeling and I only experince 'sharing' emotions with close friends. But that's cool about your grandkid, most people never see or understand things like this when it comes to thier own families.

13. I feel peoples physical and emotional pain, I can sense their emotional weaknesses rapidly and if need be exploit them, I can easily slip myself into someon elses head, know what they are thinking, feeling, experiencing and how they are percieving a given event, for years I thought everyone knew when I felt pain because I knew when they did and how intense it was, I could and still can feel it, that's why I've always felt the question are you okay is absurd, I don't like it I never even asked it until I was ten when my mother rote drilled it into me.......

My empathy and my recent understanding that it is not common to everyone is one of the reasons I am so vindictive, I want people to feel how I feel, I want them to feel worse because proportional response is not my thing, The reason for that is civis romanus sum, if you were a roman citizen you feared to walk nowhere because if you died the roman legions would come to avenge you, they would crush whomever had killed you and salt the earth, because of this I am not a fan of proportional response........

I have no idea what I am astrologically other than being a capricorn, january eighth, morning sometime...... I suppose I should look it up sometime and have someone tell me what it all means.....

oh well some use their empathy for "good" and some use it for "evil" I simply am what I am, have always been will always be.....

14. Insomniac_devi

Insomniac_devi Beast Toast

I can 90% of the time know what people are feeling, whether they're upset, happy, etc just by being in the same room. But with a few special people, with whom I have a deep bond, I can feel them where ever they are. It was especially difficult when my best friend was pregnant, because I would be just as moody as she was....

15. I'm okay with my vindictivness and the "level" I'm at right now thank you very much.

16. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I tend to feel this more often than not. I can pick up on things like it's second nature. A few examples would be how I can feel, without talking to, seeing, or having contact with in any way, whether my husband is having a rough day at work. The feeling will just come over me all of a sudden. The same goes for my mother. I don't even have to have contact with her to know something is going on. When I call her, my hunch is usually correct.

My mother, as well as her mother share this "gift", if you can call it that. I think that my children have it as well. I feel that many more of us are born with this ability during the innocence of our childhood, but as life wears on, sometimes it can leave us jaded, or skeptical, and we lose touch with that side of ourselves.

17. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I know exactly what you mean! False faces can't fool me, I can pick up on emotions regardless.

One night a few months ago, I became extremely distraught, I was sobbing uncontrollably and felt hysterical. I had no clue as to why, but something told me to call my mother. Here I come to find that she was in very bad shape, severely depressed and dealing with the end of a long relationship. I was mourning for her, I was feeling her pain.

18. <-- not on the whole adversary worship thing.... realize how utterly silly it is, more towards the templar end of the spectrum, but not a happy templar.....

19. osiris

osiris Senior Member

It amuses me greatly to see this thread resurrected, and with so many assenine platitudes.

20. osiris

osiris Senior Member

I haven't the slightest idea of what new age it is you speak. It seems, indeed, that you have missed IT.