Emily Dickinson Complex?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by honeyhannah, May 24, 2004.

1. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I'm maybe exaggerating this in my mind, but it seems that only when I don't have an actual life that I'm capable of writing about...life.

I can write about everything that ever happened to me, when nothing is happening, as soon as something happens I can't write about it, and that is when I really need to write.

Maybe I'm just not focused enough yet, I don't know.

I just wonder if I go out and intend on having a normal life how much I would create compared to occasionally living but mostly burying myself in writing.

Anyone else feel they have an Emily Dickinson sorta complex?

2. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I know exactly what you mean. It seems that my life goes in cycles. During the first half a million things are all happening at once; life is crazy, grand, beautiful, infinitly interesting...but I can't write a word. Then everything calms down and I spend months writing. Of course...I'm Bipolar...and so was Emily Dickenson (At least...it is now speculated that she was). She also kept a pet owl in her pocket. I want a pet owl! :p