Elton John Announces His Retirement.

Discussion in 'People' started by GLENGLEN, Jan 24, 2018.

1. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

After 50 Years Of Performing......And At The Age Of 70......Elton Announced Today That

After His Current Tour He Is Going To Retire.....I Wish Him Well......:hearteyes:

Cheers Glen.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The funny thing about Elton is his best ever song was his first ever song

I always assumed that if I was a member of like The Rolling Stones, I would get bored stupid of playing the same songs over and over even after one decade. certainly bored stupid of airports and air travel, jet lag. Last time they toured, they made something crazy like 100 million off one tour, I thought to myself, why would you bother? just retire to some tropical island

Same with Elton, why not just give up and look after the kids, buy them a greek island

48 years of playing "Your Song" which was originally released as a B-side. One of the best songs ever written

3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Some FAB memories from the

Loved the early stuff

4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Yawn.

Sure, announce your retirement, three years in advance. Why? Gotta make that extra billion dollars... for flowers and the Greek island.

Didn't he declare bankruptcy, at least once already?

Methinks he got enough money off of me when I bought two of his albums back in the '70s.

SpacemanSpiff likes this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I think that's slightly unfair - After the years of performing from the backing singer process and local pub singing - to tours Worldwide - along with his age - I don't see why his decision to give 'stop touring' is an issue. It is, a personal choice and the money - I think that whilst he doesn't need it, there are all those employed who no longer will be so - at least it gives them time to plan.
    - Spare a thought for what the consequences are following Mr Diamond's (justifiable) announcement

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Touring and performing are hard work and once a tour is booked, I cannot imagine Elton would want to let his fans down because at the age of 70, it was all getting a bit too much and a cold was getting the better of him.
    It is something of a catch 22 situation because keeping working and touring has heavy overheads that all have to be paid for every month, therefore needing a minimum number of performances to financially break even.
    However, I somehow think that we will still see the odd guest appearance and charity performance for several years into his retirement. These types of events are ideal all round, since someone else is doing (and paying for) all the planning and preparation, leaving him with little more than just having to turn up on the night.
    Lets all hope that my predictions are true.

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Yes, but they lost most of it to a salesman who takes advantage of the elderly

scratcho likes this.
  8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

[​IMG]

I don't listen to his music and it sounds like he has earned his right to do whatever he wants. So, like, yeah...

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

That little faggot got his own jet airplane
    That little faggot he's a millionaire

riverman18 and newbie-one like this.
  10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Also remember his little spat with Madonna, that was a laugh

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

So basically what your saying is……………..

[​IMG]

His most misinterpreted song is Daniel it’s not about a homosexual relationship like many people think it’s actually about a guy
    that went back to a small town in Texas, after returning from the Vietnam war.

Irminsul likes this.
  12. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

As much as I love Elton John's music, the guy hasn't been able to sing all that well for at least 15+ years.....dude should have stopped ages ago.....of course I could make the same criticism of a lot of other, old pop & rockstars...but still.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't really get the need to announce a retirement. Just quietly stop touring

But I don't care because Elton John is the absolute fucking best. I saw him like 10 years ago and it was the best concert I've ever seen. He played for a solid 3 hours without losing energy. And he played in a glorious purple robe . he's just the best.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  14. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

The need is that once it's announced that this is going to be the last tour, then ticket prices go way up. Then if tickets are still selling well after the end of the tour, then they add a few more shows on to the end.

15. AstroShark

AstroShark Member

First Slayer, then Lynard Skynard and now Elton ....

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I thought this dude retired 10 years ago when my mum played his cassttes in the car. :p

17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I remember when the Waco, TX/David Koresh thing happened the radio station played this song.

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Speaking of David Koresh;The A&E Network is about To Premiere a Two-Night Special Documentary
    called 'Waco: Madman Or Messiah' on January 28 at 9P should be interesting.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Slayer died when Hanneman died