Elon Musk

Discussion in 'People' started by ZenKarma, Sep 7, 2018.

1. I'm not one to associate running a company with having a vast intellect.

I'm just wondering where there is room for emotion when you're busy calculating. So you might answer, "Well you shouldn't be emotional about things that have sufficient reasons," but sadly that pretty much destroys what it means to be a human being.

Are you of the opinion that one can be transhuman and also human?

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't follow what kind of intellect you are referring to then...

Hmmm... I'm not sure to be honest. Basing if off properties of evolution, I'm kind of on the fence about calling it a mutation and it wouldn't classify as genetic drift, maybe there comes a time where it does satisfy those without question but that's seemingly a longer time away than I can fathom. However it would clearly satisfy natural selection for me, It's a selected response to environmental pressures.

3. The kind where you can think creatively, out of the box, and has nothing to do with earning money.

I'm not sure. I think it's good to be human, even with its ignorance. So transhumanists might be different, but I wouldn't consider it an evolutionary step forward. It would also be slightly ugly to me. Where's the passion?

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You think that kind of intelligence is emotionally diminished?

It's not our question to answer.

5. I think that kind of intelligence requires perspective, which is what presumably would be acquired through connection to some kind of omniscient A.I.

It's been a long time since I've read Hitchhiker's Guide, but wasn't Zaphod the only one who could survive the Total Perspective Vortex? I agree with Douglas Adams' point in the book. That kind of knowledge is dangerous to the soul.

6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I've actually never read around narcissism because I'm scared I'll recognise those traits in myself. I unashamedly love myself because if I didn't how could I expect anyone else to love me. Is that a bad thing? I think self-hate is far more damaging. As an artist I also take pride in my work which could be seen as narcissistic. But doesn't that apply to most artists, musicians and writers on some level or other?

7. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It's just random shit.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I mean you could be him. You just happen to not be him.

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I mean Buddhism talks about exchange of self with other. When you look into it you just see it's karma of some kind or another. Everyone wants to be happy. We're all caught in an infernal trap of consequences. It's easy to play the "better-person-than you" game though.

McFuddy likes this.
  11. GuerrillaLorax

" In just a century, capitalism and globalization have managed to create and solidify the existence of a super-class of human: the billionaire. Oil tycoon John Rockefeller became the world’s first billionaire just over 100 years ago, in 1916.

Now being a billionaire is much more common, according to Forbes, who counted 2,208 billionaires in its 2018 Annual World Billionaires Issue. In 2017 alone, the billionaire class made enough money to end extreme poverty seven times, according to Time Magazine.

Conservatives are not alone in their blind respect for wealth. Liberals eat-up billionaires who they consider to be good people. Kylie Jenner, Oprah Winfrey, Bill and Melinda Gates and Elon Musk are a few seeming favorites." - Making Monsters

"Wanting to be happy" doesn't mean selfishness and greed for all people.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I listen to Joe Rogan once in a while and stumbled upon this episode the other day.

A few impressions/stream of consciousness comments:

I am a bit surprised that it was controversial for Musk to "smoke" a blunt (I mean, he didn't even inhale) with Rogan. Makes me realize that weed is still a bigger deal than it needs to be.

I know almost nothing about Elon Musk, other than that he is involved with Space X and Tesla--but one thing that struck me right away was that when Rogan asked him a question, he actually paused for a breath or two and thought about the question before answering. That is pretty refreshing, since I feel like most folks are too busy formulating a response to questions before you even get a chance to finish asking them.

Joe Rogan is a talented interviewer, but he talks to much and I wish he had given Elon more space to talk. I found most of what Musk had to say extremely interesting, but Rogan not so much. I want to hear more from Elon Musk. He seems like one of those people who is way too weird to really understand how weird he is. My favorite type of people.

McFuddy likes this.
  14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Elon Musk sounds like he should be some starving impoverished Eastern European poet from the 1930s

15. GuerrillaLorax

Instead he's one of the richest people on Earth and treats his workers like crap, illegally union-busting and creating what his workers call "an atmosphere of fear" at the workplace. Not to mention his reckless attitude towards the future of the planet and mankind.

Okiefreak likes this.
  16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Not enough people realise that it's okay to love themselves, and it's far more healthy than not. This isn't narcissism because the definition specifies that it must be "excessive".

Not only should you love yourself if you want others to love you, but I believe when you love yourself you can more easily love others.

And yeah, it's important as an artist, otherwise you get those moments where you wonder what the hell you're DOING and why would anyone want to read this story, listen to that song, look at this painting. If we don't love ourselves how can we love what we create?

17. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I agree with you on the labour stuff - Tesla seems to be trying to take the auto sector backwards in terms of working conditions and labour rights, but I don't see how he has a reckless attitude towards the planet/the future? It seems to me that he is consistently trying to make the planet better (electric cars, affordable solar power, trying to solve gridlock in LA).

Why do you think that? Am I missing something?

Asmodean likes this.
  18. GuerrillaLorax

His environmental recklessness largely come from Space X. Rocket ships are generally not good for the environment. But even less so is crashing them into the ocean. Many say the reason he treats the Earth as his own personal playground is because he actually believes he will save humanity by bringing them to mars.

B&G Podcast 4: 3-1-2018

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Warning, if you watch this you won't get the 5 mins of your life back again but I found this pretty funny...

quark and Orison like this.
  20. HypeBoy1

HypeBoy1 Members

I'm lying under the table. Perfect!