electroconvulsive therapy

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TripAmerika, May 18, 2004.

1. TripAmerika

TripAmerika Member

How do you feel about electroconvulsive therapy?

Would you ever encourage one of your loved ones to try ECT to cure their depression?

My doctor tells me it has the highest success rate over any other form of treatment and it could save my life. She says this because I have attempted suicide at least 10 times. Still, I don't believe I have depression. I do believe one of my personalities does. Could ECT cure me of this multiple personality disorder, or any of my other minor disorders, like Trichotillomania? I'm so scared right now. I'm scheduled for my first treatment on July 12 of this year. I want to cancel it because I love someone very much who doesn't believe in this controversial treatment. Any response would be appreciated.

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Um, this would suggest depression. Even to a layperson. People who are mentally sound don't try to kill themselves.

It doesn't sound like you are in a state to be refusing help. ECT is a last resort for SEVERE emotional disorders (which it sounds like you have) it won't "cure" MPD, only years of intensive psychotherapy will do that. Are you in intensive therapy?

It sounds like you are in a situation where your doctor is suggesting something that may be your last resort, is reserved for serious cases and if done responsibly, can do remarkable things for serious illnesses. It is NOT the same ECT of years ago, not at all.
    One of these times one of your "attempts" is going to work. The opinion of "someone you love" who I doubt has degrees and experience in mental health telling you NOT to do something should be disregarded. Your life is in danger. Anyone who would not want you to bet better, even with a radical therapy, truely doesn't have your best interests at heart. If this person really cared, they would be doing what it takes to help you, say, driving you to your ECT appointments. Not trying to talk you out of it.

People who really love you and are not manipulative WANT you to get better, and will defer to professionals when someone is as ill as you are.

Disregard your freind's illogical opinon of something she or he probably doesn't even understand and help YOURSELF. (WHY doesn't this person want you to get better? This may be a good thing to talk about at your next session. It may be part of the problem.) It may be your last chance at health.

3. TripAmerika

TripAmerika Member

Thank you so much. I think I need to take a look at the people I'm surrounding myself with...maybe sort out the good and the bad.

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Blessings to you, Cara. My prayers are that you can find peace, healing and comfort. The idea of ECT is really scary, but if you trust your doctor, it may be helpful. I hope you can make the choice that is right for you, and look at the people you are surrounding yourself with and think of your own health first.

Love,

Maggie