electric vs. acoustic

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by sheeprooter, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I completely agree that anybody can crank out power chords through a fuzzy guitar/FX/amp setup and think it sounds good. But I've also noticed that when played a certain way, an electric guitar can respond to your picking dynamics and slight nuances more noticeably than an acoustic.

Maybe it's the lighter electric strings. Maybe the magnetic pickups. It might even be in my mind...but that's my two cents :p

2. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

how about electric acoustics. that way everyone wins

3. sheeprooter

sheeprooter Member

thats what i have. its just an acoustic that can be amplified. i never even both with the amp. its just an acoustic

4. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

only problem i've found with acoustics is sustain. my one has no sustain what so ever so it doesnt sound as good for soloing. there are probably acoustics with sustain but i am yet to play one.

i've only played a few though...

5. FriendOfTheDevil

FriendOfTheDevil Member

There's just a mood that comes out with acoustics that seems to translate on the electric. A simple love song just has more power when it's being pounded away on a dreadnought. There just seems to be more of a romantic spirit. It's probably more that people hide behind effects a lot with electrics. Mostly distortion. Runs can be covered up with overdrive. There still needs to be some sort of looseness to playing though...that's like the essence of Page. But when you can really tear up a run on a clean electric or acoustic, it will absolutely KILL when it has a bit of light crunch. Jazz cats are all about this. And a truly, truly good song will rock on both acoustic AND electric.

6. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

or if you use both guitars in a band it can sound pretty good. take for instance the song yellow by coldplay.

7. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

I like the electric guitar a little bit more, but i do love playing acoustics alot. I trade off between them from day to day.

8. tpgi

tpgi Member

rhasta i like you sig, is that the picture from the cover of tarantula? Anyway, keeping on the topic of dylan, this whole argument reminds me of his tour with the band in 1966.

9. baboonus_galactus

baboonus_galactus Member

I prefer electrics símply because I don't feel very inspired when I'm playing an acustic.

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Depends on what your pickups are in your acoustic... my martin has a nice response... I use stereo fraps and an L.R. Baggs para D.I.... CSNY only uses stereo fraps.

11. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

I need an acoustic with good action and smooth strings, or I don't play very well at all. But I really don't like playing electric alone in my room, only with my band. But I guess it just depends what kinda mood i'm in.

12. Silver Salamander

Silver Salamander Member

You know, I really don't think I could have put it better.:)

13. Orsino2

yeah... but, I don't like distortion... I like nice overdrive. Ibanez TS-808 Tubescreamer overdrive.... smooth like butter.

14. sheeprooter

sheeprooter Member

dude, orsino. your what, 15? how the fuck did you get so knowledgable about guitars? i hope you know how few people know so much about something that so cool. you will have some good times ahead!

15. Orsino2

I just... did. I don't know how. I just devote all of my time to it... Then, a tech picked up on some of the stuff I was saying to other people at a local guitar shop and asked if I wanted to work with him... but the guy's practices were just wrong and I didn't agree with him and how he cheated people and lied, so I quit after a short time. I'm a simple, yet technical person... I like doing things like taking apart a strat and clocking myself in how fast I can put it back together or re-stringing. I've been using .013 guage D'Addarios and Pyramids, lately, but I don't like them as much as my old Ernie Ball Heavy Slinky .012s... I think I'm going to switch back to those, but the shop is out of stock and I can't stand ordering off of the internet... hmm.

16. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

cos if he really knew how to play acoustic, he wouldn't think that electric is harder

17. Orsino2

If you play electric mostly, acoustic is harder... and vice versa. Joni Mitchell had a problem when she was playing around with CSN and she was playing the electric way too hard because she was used to acoustics.

18. Dielli

Dielli Member

well, actually... He's not the only one! :)
    ohh whateverr.... im 16 :D

19. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

i second that. i'm 16 today, and i have a lot of guitar knowledge