elastics

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by bcsher, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bcsher

bcsher Member

Basically looking for someone to tell me to take these out. I've read through this forum for a couple hours and am about 1% of the way through, so pardon my impatience in finding the answer in someone else's thread!
    Also, clicking and dragging images isn't working.....any help?
    You may be able to see my dreads by clicking on my gallery. I put pics in. Can you tell I'm still a newbie? lol

2. hellodreadhead

hellodreadhead Beta as fuck

Take them out. They'll end up rotting in your hair and they'll weaken the shaft the longer you leave them in.

3. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

ah firstly your so pretty!
    But yeah cut them out with scissors you really dont need them :)

4. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

Hey :)
    Your dreads look like they are of to a great start!
    Have used wax and other chemicals?:(
    TAKE OUT THE ELASTIC BANDS
    They will melt into your hair :( the hair will absorb them & rot in the core :(
    They also restrict the movement & friction that causes not to forms.
    Welcome to Hipforums!

5. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

Yeah welcome , I forgot that!

6. bcsher

bcsher Member

Thanks for the love! I used wax once, NEVER again. What a mess. I'll have to try the soda/teatree/lemon/salt mix to make sure they're all cleaned out. I have used the DHHQ accelerator and peppa, which burned/bumped/scabbed my scalp, also NEVER again. Lives and learns.
    Off to get rid of the bands!!!

7. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i thought u were a guy..what a surprise your gorgouse!

glad u learned fast
    weve had ppl come here after making every mistake u can imagine including glue and coarting theyre dreads in latex
    the better start u give emthe healthier they'll be fior life

8. hellodreadhead

hellodreadhead Beta as fuck

Congratulations! Welcome to the board as well

9. soaringeagle

oh and pics pics pics are easy
    pics in gallery right click pic ..copy image location..then click the yellow buttun up there^^ paste in address
    alternately..if the pics in your album, or on photobucket copy the [​IMG] but when u send it will place the image where u put the code

10. legal_rasta

legal_rasta Member

hey SE, and anyone else who wants to answer,

would it be bad if i used those little rubber bands?--- If i did, i just want them to keep the sections apart, especially after the first few washes so i can still keep em in the right sections. I think it would be all around just easier to care for, in the beginning
    yah, i wanna section and back comb :D

* and id only have them at the root area, so i can keep my sections.

11. hax

hax Member

when i started my dreads i kept my bands in for a couple weeks and as soon as the individual dreads were established i cut them out, i had no problems but when you do cut them out make sure you get the whole band, its not fun when you get only part of the band out and find out months later. bcsher, you are gorgeous, and you pull off dreads quite well, welcome to the forum and i think i can speak for everyone here when i say, ask any questions you may have, we will get them answered for you

12. soaringeagle

a few days fine.. a week your goinfg to have to disturb knots to remove em..3 weeks u could have em totakly swallowed
    they dont help a bit though
    you want the haur to move
    and if sections unracvel just means they wanna sectiondifferently themn u want em to, they will resection and dread on theyre own
    but like i said if u go over a week when u remove em u will hafta disturb knots and may even loose chunks inside
    u dont need em at all they do nothing good
    if u really are worried use a bead..but better towards the tips then at the roots

13. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Although I have two dreads at the very back with a melted elastic band in each, that was obviously my own fault for missing those two dreads when removing them. I found elastics very useful over a number of weeks. Months actually. The first lot I used were horribly shitty black ones which broke all the time and melted fast. I took them out after a week (it's those that I missed two of and still have as gunky lumps). However, the next lot of bands I found were very good transparent ones, they didn't break or melt or decay, I was able to reuse them and all-sorts. They did a wonderful job at training stray root hairs into the correct dread without me having to spend a load of time trying to separate them from each other every day, resulting in them staying loose for ages.

So there :p

14. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

use bands to section the hair, take them out one at a time and backcomb that section. after youve washed your hair for the first time, rip at the roots (if needed)

but dont keep bands in for the first few weeks, months, whatever..

15. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

aww you are pretty^_^have a great smile and your hair is gorgeousssss!

16. bcsher

bcsher Member

ooohhhh, I know all about the black bands.....DHHQ??? Awful! The clear ones they sell are much better, but they deteriorated and stuck to my hair. The biggest problem I had with them was when I pushed them back up to the root to pull in the loose hair close to my scalp, they would rip other hairs out. I ended up with really fuzzy hair at the scalp. I think I looked at a lot of pics of ppl with 'perfect' dreads before I started and was disillusioned about the love in the whole process and saw it as more of a permanent hairstyle to obtain via a skilled hairstylist or company then the natural state of hair if you leave the brushes and conditioner out of it.
    Honestly, depends what you want. You can train your hair to part in certain ways, and elastics are perfect for that cause if you want it all uniform. I'm kind of regretting my perfect part, but my hair is looking good. Depends what you want. Seek advice where you can, take what you need and leave the rest!
    Thanks all! My head feels MUCH better without the elastics!!!!

17. soaringeagle

if u go natural your hair sections itself exactly as it sees fit never perfectly shaped could be teardrop shaped round irregular ..just random but almost all the hairs tend to end up where they wanna be..some ripping may be needed thiyugh and that causes lil loose fozz around the scalp inbetween dreads that will either join an existinbg dread or become its own dread eventualy

the point being that you dont gotta foirce the hairs to behave and stay in a certain dread..it will find where it beklongs all on its own and like u found out any movement of the elastics breaks knots that formed around it..theyrereally better off comming off sooner rather then later
    the free movement will help the dreading more then the restriuction will