Eisenhower Republicans.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

A little while ago, I was watching this very interesting interview. Some guy was reminiscing about Johnny Carson. He said some people assume Carson was a liberal. Actually, he was an Eisenhower Republican. Then he lamented, ah, they're a dying breed.

In a nutshell, and briefly if possible, what exactly is an Eisenhower Republican? I know for some time I thought I was a lifelong Democrat, or perhaps an independent. But I am a little conservative on some of the issues. Maybe I am an Eisenhower Republican, and just don't know it.

Someone please enlighten me.

:)

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

A man of many quotes..

In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.

3. lode

lode Banned

1 person likes this.
  4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9RAxAgksSE

5. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Jimbee

Author: Joel Klotkin refers to himself as a Truman Democrat.

Perhaps thats a better category.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's basically a Republican from a time when using your brain and compromise were acceptable. For example Eisenhower did not hate college or science. In fact you need these things the Russians are damn sure teaching their little commies that. So it's laughable to suggest some sort of conspiracy in science (global warming). To call news "fake" would have been an embarrassment. The Democrat was a fellow American and you needed to show the public you two could talk like gentleman. All things gone out the window with Trump and his cult following. He tells it like it is everyone else lies because they hate him end of story.

Even Regan who seems to be above Jesus to this party would not be a good Republican now. He would be seen as too moderate which why it's interesting to me they love him so much. In my opinion it's because they love the idea of him. The past is always better and what came after him? Clinton and Obama with a little Bush to break it all up. What came before him? Another Democrat. They have very few victories in culture or politics so they hang on to what is for them the most decisive victory. No hanging chads, no loss of the popular vote to taint the "victory" just good old Regan.

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

He continued the New Deal and expanded social security. He also invested heavily in infrastructure and talk about the dangers of over spending on the military. I think military spending is where our current president and Eisenhower differ the most.