Einstein and Charlie Chaplin

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Zanman, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Zanman

Zanman Member

True story.

I am watching the Golden Globe awards (for some reason) and all the shouting and screaming reminded me of when Einstein first came to America in 1934 or so, not sure of the year.

He was by then world famous and was met by Charlie Chaplin, among others, and a crowd of thousands in New York harbor.

Einstein didn’t understand what all the commotion was about and asked Chaplin, “What does this all mean?” Chaplin replied, “Absolutely nothing.”

2. somethingwitty

somethingwitty Member

Interesting the way our society has evolved (or decayed). Imagine someone cheering for a scientist or even artist now days...

I was thinking about the same type thing while watching a video about violinists; college students were ecstatic about getting a free concert by Heifetz. I think it's very sad.

3. azimuth

azimuth Member

Einstein was a special case, and in the 30's Science's Dark Side was still well obscured.

It is good that we don't idolize scientists, we should not idolize any human. Too bad we do idolize those we do.

- azimuth