Ego death, spiritual awakening- real of fake?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by Psychopath, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

I would like to hear your opinion on this, I always hear story's how psilocybin, and lsd changed their life. My personal experience and opinion would be not a single thing changed spiritually or even during usage ego death they speak of. Or even how it makes you a better person, I guess maybe I've never had a ego problem or ego??, I've just always been myself and never worried about what other thought. I will say a 1/4 ounce of dried shrooms then grinder up was awesome no aliens or that chick they say comes to you. Just a honest great high, its weird because you dont feel drunk but when you try to walk its hard to like being drunk but I could still think straight. As for Lsd it has a different type of effect not as extreme in my opinion but still no change but it was best for "me" by myself walking in the woods at night. The moon light hitting the trees and flashlight would make the trees almost be like how a fast camera takes a multiple photos at once. I understand and it would be a great idea to tell everyone that it makes you a better person ect. To get it Legalized as medicine at the very least.

JackBlack2 likes this.
  2. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

I know psilocybin will help depression and works on serotonin very well. I'm all for legalization!

3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Never tried the drugs mentioned above. But the concept of ego death is something i find interesting. Like who or what is aware of an ego to claim whether its dead or alive? Is there a separation between ego and self? Maybe the drugs makes one aware of things that they normally wouldn't be. Or maybe just makes you more delusional.

Spiritual awakening, what is that? To what does one awaken from?

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Everybody has an ego.

Drugs are only one tool in a spiritual awakening. They don't guarantee anything and can even hurt or hinder.

YoungHippieDream and Lynnbrown like this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I akin ego death to a long term pinwheel memory dump like a person has in and out of conscious. Drugs like LSD just prolong that memory dump, where a person can focus on right or wrongs.. OR realize its just a trip. It wont change the outside world but maybe the way u interact with it will be different.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ego Death with psychedelics is a real thing and I've experienced it. I would consider my formative trips a "spiritual" awakening. I'm hesitant to say much of it felt supernatural, hence the quotes, but I felt a sense of transcendence from the linear constraints of normal consciousness and perceptions, thoughts, memories, feelings all took on whole different dimensions of depth I could never have fathomed prior to these trips.

However after a few years, I embraced more of the psychonaut approach and was no longer really treating psychedelics like sacraments and also started using various other drugs more frequently.. So along with this shift in approach, the transcendent trips started becoming fewer and far between.

When you regain the sense of "I" as in your ego, then you have the realization that the ego death occurred. But during it, you lose your locus of consciousness, so you don't feel like a mind attached to a body that notices various associations around you to navigate the world, or you don't go through emotional inventory and all the associations with that. There is basically just this unadulterated sense of awareness. It has always been a very brief segment of these trips for me and it can shift very rapidly into exploring emotional content or more ego-driven thoughts.

It may be delusion or unreal in a sense, but I think if there is anyway to reliably replicate the experience, it could potentially lead to some fascinating insight into how the mind works.

7. JackBlack2

JackBlack2 Members

8. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Wou
    Would you mind explaining what and the ammount you took, because I swear it was awesome for myself but nothing new but maybe my name is true as my wife says. Damn woman I need to trade her in on a 19 you, Czech girl mmmm lol

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I have had many transcendent experiences on a variety of psychedelics but the most notable ego death trips would be:
    • 300 micrograms of LSD (2nd trip on it)
    • Bong hits of 10x extract Salvia Divinorum from a reputable ethnobotanical vendor
    • 75 mgs of DMT
    Salvia and DMT are somewhat different in that they are near instantaneous and very brief trips.

10. Total Darkness

So the ego dies, only to come back to life and realize its own death?

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It's not really dead, just knocked out for a little bit...

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Essentially yes, the term ego "death" is perhaps a bit of a misnomer. Some people use the term ego loss interchangeably but I think to disassociate the experience from the connotation of memory loss from say drinking alcohol, psychedelic users tend to prefer the former.

13. MeAgain

If you lose your ego forever, there is no longer any "you".

14. Total Darkness

How did this "you" (ego) come to exist? Was it always there or imposed or influenced by society? A newborn baby has an ego (concept of you) or no?

Psychopath likes this.
  15. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Good point, ego has to be created in some way or another, I would think? Every problem people have is because of social and or economic problems in my opinion.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Those questions are probably beyond the scope of this thread but I think a large part of the ego is imposed or influenced by society or the environment. However I don't think we are born with a tabula rasa or "blank slate" mind.

It does fascinate me as to what is happening in the psychedelic experience that seems to defy both nature and nurture to dissolve the ego. The common threads between those trips I mentioned above were a constant movement in awareness and abstract perceptions. But those descriptions could be used for most all psychedelic experiences at a sufficient dose, well below this threshold. So there remains some ineffable quality to such an experience.

17. MeAgain

The ego exists due to heredity factors, habits, concepts, emotions, and the discriminating mind.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  18. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Whether we believe the universe is made entirely of Lime Jell-O or not, is of no concern to mother nature, because 42 is as good an answer as we are ever going to get. Ego is the natural result of our conscious mind emerging from the sea of awareness of that is the collective unconscious. You could say awareness itself is magical, which quantum mechanics has been steadily proving for over a century now, with Roger Penrose's theory of quantum induced microwave vibrations in the brain receiving two experimental confirmations and Quantum Cognition documenting how the seemingly irrational decision making processes of humanity, actually obey quantum mechanics because its more often the most efficient way to make decisions. One way to think about it, is that our brains are like radio receivers, with our conscious mind and causal perspectives providing the necessary error corrections to make more sense out of what is ultimately sheer chaos.

When our conscious and unconscious minds cooperate, they can harmoniously occupy the lowest possible energy state of the complete system, where we no longer make distinctions between who we are and what we are doing, becoming self-actualized poetry in motion. We have an ego, because we are not Jesus Christ or whoever, and the idea is not to get rid of your ego, so much as, to reconcile your conscious and unconscious mind and heart and to promote greater personal integrity. Already, studies have indicated that those individuals who are either raised in an extended family or who routinely volunteer the use the of their own two hands in service to their community, tend to thrive better in the long run and live up to their own moral standards. In contrast, a study of Wall Street traders indicated that, no matter what their espoused beliefs, their ethics went up and down with the stock market. In other words, ego represents how we apply error corrections and incorporate more beauty and meaning into our lives, but without intimacy ego becomes selfish and self-defeating.

My own belief, is we can all start by sharing our words, with ourselves first, or you've missed the point.

Driftrue likes this.
  19. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

One hell of a good post only one thing I argue over is the helping of others. I've always helped others more then even myself and it has got me no where. People will use you until there is nothing left, had so called friends for over 30 years that I would of took a bullet for stab me in the back. Maybe the studies show it but I'm living proof it can be wrong.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

^ that's about how you perceive it, and having expectations of what helping others should bring you.
    no-one can hurt you unless you let them