Eggs

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by tom, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tom

tom Member

Ok, I'm going to assume that the majority of vegetarians are liberals (don't see too many republicans boycotting KFC or their local furier).
    That being said, if you're pro-choice, but vegetarian, can you get away with eating eggs?

2. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Dude... The paradox! A chickens life more sacred then a human... dudddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeee!

3. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

most people would argue that it's a different situation because the chicken eggs we eat are unfertilized.
    I personally tend to go back and forth between whether or not it's ok to eat them, but i feel i do my bit by buying free range :)

4. clawsy

clawsy Member

um i guess i am pro choice but im not 100% what i think about it....

eggs, i dont eat them, i used to eat free range but then saw pictures of how the supermarket free range hens are bred....the same as battery hens.they are still bred in factory farm hatcheries and the males get minced alive (apperently it is a humane quick death), but its still like a factory farm, animals being treated like a commodity..,and the hens well they still get killed when they stop producing enough.

i would love to have some land and get some rescued battery hens, and let them live a nice life on it, then i would eat their eggs, but theyd be welcome egg producing or not.

i guess i would eat them if i knew they werent killed and say a nice farmer had them, and didnt use them like an egg machine but were like adored pets, and he jsut had some eggs to spare, i dont see that happening thu lol :/

5. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

here you can get rspca eggs at the supermarket. they're expensive but at least they're trustworthy.

6. clawsy

clawsy Member

um......i would make sure u read label and they are free range, because here in nz the spca 'approves' barn laid eggs, which are not much better than battery farm conditions . I think they get a 'donation' for approving them. I know one person in spca approached by the egg producers said NO to it, because it is still cruel, but higher up said yes. Not all ppl in spca are vege btw, some branches have a lot meat eaters.

oh and i jsut saw your from OZ, have u checked out your animal rights orgs, cause a few years back i was reading one particular oz site, i cant remeber name but they investigated the biggest oz pig farm, they had even had a politician with them and he chained himself to a sow crate.

this group, with egg battery farms, they were having a lot of trouble with their spca, because they refused to do anything about cruelty that was found.,..it went to court and the activists werent charged with trespassing (they went and rescued some hens that were dying)> i rember seeing a pic of a bucnh of dead hens they had delivered to teh spca door....cause spca wouldnt investigate. and that same spca was later approving that egg producers barn/free range eggs.

Sorry im not sure what state this was in, but its a big oz AR org that had the site a few years back, the pictures of the so called farms were horrendous.
    I would try & check them out before trusting even the spca, im not saying all are bad but it seems some branches are not that good.

please excuse my typos, its really late

7. clawsy

clawsy Member

i tried finding the site I saw agea go but can't. this article talks about it a bit, but doesnt have nearly as much info.

is still interesting thu about the SPCA approved cruelty.....barns eggs in oz, im guessing nz conditions are the same.
    http://www.upc-online.org/aart/010801.html

8. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I never heard of that incident. and i didn't know that about the spca. I checked the carton in my fridge tho and they come from some place here called Novo. the website is http://www.novofoods.com.au and here's what they said about their free range conditions. i guess you can form ur own conclusions from it.

Free Range
    Narrow width houses, mainly for perching and shelter from sun and rain, are used on the free range system. Nest boxes are placed in the sheds or on the outside edge of the shed, two feet six inches from floor levels and birds are on free range or large netted runs.

Slightly wider sheds to allow for a section of deep litter away from the perches allows birds to feed inside the shed and to be shut in the shed during wet or windy weather. This is usually termed semi-intensive housing. Sheds are sometimes in rows, and on small farms single sheds with large outside runs are used. Feeding is usually manual and water systems trough and ballock.

Only about two per cent of total eggs received through marketing channels come from free range and semi-intensive sheds, as the system is not considered to be as commercially viable as the cage system.

that last bit kinda irks me. I mean, it's still sounds harsh but it's better than the cage system. I think i'll just get some hens for myself. I got my chicken license in highschool, so i'm technically capable of handling them :D

9. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

those pictures actually made me cry. I'm going to look for an update on that story. i'm really confused about how the supposed animal liberationists could allow that to happen. it's truly disturbing.

10. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

I'm pro choice but I don't eat eggs. A lot of vegetarians eat eggs and dairy, vegans however do not. Not quite sure how you define the relationship between eggs and being pro choice. Elaborate?

11. tom

tom Member

Because most who are pro-choice do not equate a fetus to being a human being. An egg is pretty much the same thing as a fetus (except for it's unfertilized, making it less of a chicken in my opinion) so would they not equate that to being a chicken. I'm only talking about vegetarians who are so due to the ethics behind eating animals.

12. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Aaaahhh... I gotcha. I see an egg as more of a chickens period. Like when a woman menstruates she is is getting rid of unfertilized eggs, it's the same with chickens. Eating a period just isn't appealing. Besides, the reason to not eat eggs for ethical reasons is not because of the eggs themselves but because of the treatment of the hens laying those eggs. Their living conditions are absolutely horrendous. They're enslaved and treated like shit. They're forced to produce many more eggs than they would naturally ( through deprivation of food and water for days at a time.. this forces their bodies to create more eggs). Many never see the light of day and are packed so tight they can't even spread their wings. Many suffer from diseases and feather loss and are subjected to each others fury at being so cooped up. And also because chickens are under the impression they are producing life when they lay their eggs, essentially we are robbing them of their babies.

13. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

actually i know a few women who drink their own menstrual blood. sort of a ritual thing i guess. i'm guessing they'd be pro-choice. not sure if they're vegan tho :)