Eggs

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by minjeig, May 18, 2004.

1. minjeig

minjeig Member

Is there any kind of egg substitute out there? I mean, they can make everything from crazy black sauce, to milk, to fake bacon with soy beans so I wouldn't be all that surprised, but I've never heard of anything.

If there's no egg substitute then does anyone know of any recipes for cake that don't involve eggs?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but lets just say I'm not exactly chef Boyardee so I don't know if there's even a way to make cake without eggs...

2. ericf

ericf Member

I've heard that you can substitute apple sauce for eggs when baking... but let me go look that up again to be sure. It sounds weird when I say it out loud. :p

3. ericf

ericf Member

Ener-G Egg Replacer, apparently there is something out there. The recipe that listed this said it was available at natural food stores.

I found a couple of cakes that listed apple sauce but none said if it was to replace eggs or not... and they didn't included a ratio either (like 1/4cup per egg) so I have no idea.

Edit: to avoid three posts in a row... http://www.theppk.com/veganbaking.html This site seems to be pretty complete... forget whatever I said about apple sauce. I know I heard it somewhere but never used it and can't find anything mentioning it now.

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Tofu is a good subsitute in any context of egg use. Not sure about quanities though (someone help me out here)

TTFN

Sage

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

6. minjeig

minjeig Member

thanx very much, this is really helpful!

7. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Hooray found it now:
    "One ounce of mashed tofu can replace an egg used for binding."

And

"Try subsituting 1 heaping tablespoon of soy four or cornstrach plus two tablespoons of water for each egg in a baked product."

TTFN

Sage