Ebay

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Duncan, May 21, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Anyone here actually sold anything on Ebay? Any success? Any stories?

2. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I have always wanted to try to sell things i make on ebay...
    but i never knew how to go about it...
    afraid i would mess something up...

3. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i sell all the time...all good sales

4. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i sell patchy clothes on there sometimes
    one week i made over $150

5. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I've sold a couple of things on eBay. :) Never had any problems. I'm more of a buyer, though.

My only gripe is that some people are rather shady when it comes to their auctions and shipping costs. For instance, they'll have an album on there as "Buy it now!" for $3.00, but then they'll charge you $5.75 to ship it. And that's domestic. It does not cost that much to ship a CD within the United States. That's just one example.

So yeah. I hate how the seller can just arbitrarilly pick a price for shipping. Not everybody abuses it, but most do. Just a way to get more money out of the customer. :mad:

But anyway, that's not what you asked. lol It's really easy to sell something on eBay. You just have to make sure you're very specific about everything. Back when I would sell things, I would lay everything out in the open in the description area, just because I know when I'm looking for things to bid on, I like the descriptions to be....well, descriptive. Then after you set it up, you just wait for the auction to end. :) I do think eBay takes a small bit of your profit, though. Like $0.30 or something (actually, it's a percentage of the amount you get in the end).

But no problems with selling here. :)

6. Willy_Wonka_27

i buy a crap load of comics on ebay...im think about reselling em' on there too

7. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

the shipping costs do suck but sometimes the sellers have to pay for bubble wrap and such. i usually send everything priority and out it in those "ONE PRICE" envelopes the post office has, they ship it for $3.95 and it only take about 2-3 days to get there

8. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

i have sold things on ebay with no problems, but half.com has been another story althogether.

with ebay, you sell your item, and the buyer sends you their money.

on half.com, the person buys the stuff, sends half.com the money, and then half.com sends you a check, or direct deposits your money. (at least theoretically). i have had numerous issues with half.com. i am currently trying to get them to send me my damn money that they have owed me for months...but that's a long story. anyway, ebay=cool, half.com=suck ass

9. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

That's true. And I don't mind paying a pricey shipping fee if the item woud require such. But mostly...eh. I usually steer clear of the ones who have obviously ridiculous prices for shipping (which narrows it down for me quite a bit). lol

I use the priority "ONE PRICE" stuff, too! Well, used to. Recently, I've started using UPS just because I no longer live near a post office. :( So I just do all my stuff at ups.com, then set up an appointment for the UPS man to come pick it up. It costs a bit more, but it's worth it to me to not have to make a road trip to the PO.

10. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've baought and sold about 15 thigns on ebay..all positive..one took a little while to ship.

11. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've bought tons of patchwork clothes, incense, CD's, etc. on ebay but I've never sold anything. One of these days maybe I'll figure out how to sell. The extra cash would be nice.

12. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I've bought more than I've sold, but I've started selling a lot more recently. Lots of jewelry I made and a couple Jason Mraz tix.... my UserID is IRockTomato. Come see me! I'll love you forever!

13. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Jewelry, eh? Hmm. I need some rings...

14. HappyHaHaGirl

I haven't made any rings yet, but I guess I could. I bought a cool one at the flea market today that I might put up because it doesn't fit me very well.

15. Willy_Wonka_27

some times i sell hemp jewelry on ebay

16. tom

tom Member

Pretty good deal because when you buy stuff off of there, you know your money is usually going to a real person who actually sees the money, and not some corporate machine paying it's employees slave wages. Makes me feel a lot better about the things I buy. I usually try to shop there before heading to the stores.
    As for a success story, I bought a chair at a garage sale for $2.00. Decided I didn't like it, put it on e-bay, and it's sold for $150.00. Pretty cool I do think.

17. Willy_Wonka_27

i made $300 on a box of comics i bought for $99

18. HappyHaHaGirl

That's cool! I don't know anything about comics, or I'd sell them, too. You're right about supporting real people. I'm on a cd boycott, but I do buy from folks on ebay. I usually look there before I do anywhere else. But I went to the real flea market today and it was fun. :) This old hippie looking guy that I bought some pictures from gave me a "pretty girl discount." I thought that was sweet. I might go back again! yaay! But I spent all my money. :(

19. rdfleece27

rdfleece27 Member

i sell golf clubs for my boss on ebay. it's very easy especially w/ a paypal acct which involves having a credit card and a check book. it's very easy to do and you can make some decent money...shipping costs are interesting. you can make a lot of money on shipping costs if you charge flat-rate or you can charge very low/no shipping cost and attract a few more bids. Kind of fun to get into and not too time consuming.

20. tom

tom Member

Yeah, I won't buy cd's anywhere but e-bay. Last two I bought (one phish and one dead), I paid under 5 bucks for the both of 'em brand spankin' new.