Eating Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by dietcoketree, Apr 22, 2006.

1. amazinggrace31

amazinggrace31 Member

I think its amazing how honest and open people are being in this thread.
    I was diagnosed as bulimic at 14 and was later told that these behaviours were part of Borderline Personality Disorder which I was diagnosed with at 19 (they aren’t supposed to diagnose this when you are in your teens but that’s a whole different topic)
    Like NightRose I have also known someone who pretended to have an eating disorder, it really frustrated me at the time whilst I was struggling with it but I realised she must have been desperate to make up those lies.

2. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

I know some chick at my school that 'brags' about how she starves herself and it is reallllllly annoying. It pisses me off so bad.

3. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

I am going to try to go into recovery for bulimia in the next few months. I purge by starvation diets (sometimes ref. to as nonpurging bulimia, but by def. it's still purging). Anyway, I am scared and thrilled at the same time. I really WANT to get better this time.

4. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

Good for you, I wish you the best of luck. When there is a will then there is a way; and if you have your heart and soul in it, you can do anything!

5. louies77

louies77 Member

Is Bulimics often targets females???

Louies.

6. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

I think i read somewhere that like 90% of bulmics are females but males are at risk too.

I am going for a doctors appointment on the 19th of this month at noon to officially "start" recovery. You guys keep me in your thoughts!

7. Freedom_Man

Freedom_Man Senior Member

i think i have one.

i just cant eat, even if i want to know i had 2 slices of pizza and a bread stick, i ate the bread stick and just got sick to my stomach and i cant eat. i go to school i just get disguted at food. i think i have a problem. it might be nothing.

8. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

Don't try to dismiss behavior as nothing; but don't mistake trying to eat healthy for a disorder. If you dread having to eat, lets say two peices of pizza and a breadstick, so much so that you either can't do it or feel sick when you do, that is not something to just dismiss. Disgust with food is a commen feeling with me; I'm either HATING it or I'm in a daze and binging. Do you find yourself in that behavior?

9. european son

european son Member

i was anorexic when i was addicted to speed if that counts. lol

10. Freedom_Man

Freedom_Man Senior Member

yeah, like most of the time i eat like crazy, but now i just cant eat for anything. its weird. i mean i didt eat a whole lot like over the top you know, but a good amount. ive also been feeling depressed latley.

11. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

my throwing up tendancy's have gotten really bad lately. it is all i tihnk about and all i want to do when im not doing it. even if i havnt eaten anything. i plan the next time. do you guys do this?!

12. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

I just finished watching this 11 part series called THIN on youtube.com (it was originally on HBO) and it was very good. The 11th part had a good therepy session I really liked watching and he made points I've NEVER thought about.

All I can think about recently is throwing up, starving, 'lightness,' and just loosing weight. I went running tonight and I definitly didnt have the energy to go for as long as I pushed myself. I know it's bad but I am planning my day around tommarrow to do it again.

I recommend the THIN thing though, if you have a spare hour or two.

13. Le_Femme_Floral

Le_Femme_Floral Member

I watched a bit of THIN, but not all of it. I heard from some that it's good, I've heard from some it doesn't shed much light on actually having an eating disorder.
    Is it horrible it kind of made me want a tube jutting out of my stomach?
    But, I've never been diagnosed with anything, but I do have food issues.
    If I have any tendencies, I'd say I have EDNOS tendencies.
    For months or something I suppose I was starving myself, but I'm trying to be a lot healthier nowadays. I've upped my calorie intake and I'm trying to have a balanced diet.. while still losing weight.

14. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

I've never been diagnosed either. EDNOS doesn't really get much attention because it doesn't really specify what the exact problem is. I think that is wrong. If someone would have helped me when I would have been considered 'EDNOS' then maybe I wouldnt have something full-blown now.

Don't think that just because you aren't 80 pounds and have a label of 'anorexic' or 'bulimic' or 'compulsive-binger,' or anything else, that you're 'okay.' It's glad you realize that there is a problem.

You are right about THIN, it didn't always deal with an actual eating disorder but instead a lot of the drama between the girls (something that would happen ANYWHERE with a lot of girls). But after thinking about it, I decided maybe that is a part of the eating disorder. They were all very insecure, and so made them angry towards others, and that anger manifested itself through backstabbing and ganging up on one another. Maybe not though, because that really would happen anywhere that a lot of girls have to live together.

I would definitly suggest continue watching it though, I really liked the last episode. It means more if you see the series, though, because you can really see that no matter how much help you get, it's really about how YOU deal with things and how hard one really tries and wants to get better. AND the question of do you want to get better more than you want to be skinnier? Thats a hard question for me because I choose the wrong answer. I think everyone does until they are truly ready for recovery. I'll stop babbling now. :)

15. Hipkatmeow

Hipkatmeow Member

I loved thin. That really is what its like in treament. There is the "rebelious" group that wants to get better but cant let others see it so they act out together to see who can be more rebellious than the other.

Its true though, no matter how much help you have you can not get better until you WANT to get better.

Latley I have been reverting to old ways do to stress. I think I may sink in to it again... but im trying to fight it. If I had the money to go into therapy I would.

Anyway Im rambling. THin is good you should watch it.

16. louies77

louies77 Member

I have found some info about bulimia and wanted to share with you ... :)

Eating disorders will lead to bulimia. It is a disease which occurs due to eating large amount of food with in short period of time.

Bulimia is also known as bulimia nervosa. People with bulimia force to eat food quickly (binge) and then purge (vomit).

Purging involves various activities such as forced vomiting, excessive exercise, laxative use, or fasting for long period in order to lose weight (lose weight in a healthy way).

If one is suffering with bulimia, then he/she often feel the loss of control over his/her eating and he/she will feel guilt over her/his behavior.

One can feel abnormal behavior. Bulimia will be seen mostly in adolescent and young women.

There is no particular cause for bulimia. Bulimia will arise from various biological, genetic, psychological, environmental, social and genetic factors. Bulimia is the most common disease among college students.

The symptoms of bulimia are irregular bowel functioning, damage in teeth and gums, dehydration, tiredness, uneven heartbeat, dry skin problem and in woman menstrual irregularities will occur.

Louie.

17. OneLoveHerbsman

OneLoveHerbsman Member

Sounds like me.. i dont puke tho,but regularly go without meals when i know there is stuff in thr fridge

18. OneLoveHerbsman

OneLoveHerbsman Member

Sounds like me.. i dont puke tho,but regularly go without meals when i know there is stuff in thr fridge

19. myself

myself just me