Eating a "live" squid

Discussion in 'Seafood' started by Mandsi, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Mandsi

Mandsi Guest

The Japanese are either brave or crazy. There's a dish where the squid is freshly killed by the chef in the kitchen and prepared quickly. When presented to a customer on a plate, they pour soy sauce on it and the salt in the sauce activates its nerves which makes the squid wriggle about on the plate. It looks like it's alive but it's not.

I can't stomach the idea of eating something which wriggles about in your mouth and stomach.

http://www.worldofdeals.co.uk/blog/squid-comes-back-to-life-and-dances-on-your-dinner-plate/

2. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I don't dig seafood anyway, but ugh...food that moves...yuck.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'd have a hard time. But I'd still eat it, and love the opportunity to try it.

Although in the video, I can't be sure the chef DID totally remove the head.... I see eyes, and where there's eyes brains are not far off.

I didn't watch for cutlerly, but I hope you're not expected to eat that with just chopsticks....

4. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

[​IMG] It's alive!!!

They cut off all it's organs.. but not it's brain. I don't think some magic salty soy sauce being poured over it's skin "activates it's nerves".

The poor thing was trying to climb out of the bowl. That's motor control, not nerves twitching.

5. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I'm pretty adventurous with my food...especially seafood.

I eat cherrystones which are clams that are alive.

But I don't know if moving food would be my style...

6. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

I would try it i love sushi

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm pretty sure that IS how it works.... ion from the salt, instead of from the nerve.

I think they're describing it wrong though, it directly activates the muscle, bypassing the nerve..... I think? Maybe I have this figured all wrong.

8. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I think it's the squid not liking the soy sauce being poured on it. Look at it's back left arm. The whole thing goes up and moves around even though it only has a small amount on the middle and on the end of it.

Just my theory tho.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

http://www.foodjapan.net/index.php?...id=116:squid-qodori-donq&catid=62:o&Itemid=60

Found that via google.

There is a dark spot that I thought was the brain, but the guy says he's got a biology degree, or is in the process of getting one.... I guess the spot's the beak, or something?

As he says, it does look like a lot of squid.... I wouldn't mind a bit, but I don't think I want a whole freaking squid, with no seasoning but soy sauce. The bowl looks like it'd be better with a few tentacles.

10. G&T

G&T Member

Not for me.

11. MisSBoNgLips

MisSBoNgLips Member

eeew the soy sauce is ruining it!! otherwise it looks really yummy!!
    and they should leave the head on because the brains IS your dipping sauce!!
    and thats the best part mmmm i want some seafoods now.....

12. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

No thanks, thats a heaping helping of squid there. I could probably eat a couple of tentacles but never anywhere near that much. And I'm not sure but that looked like it would be pretty tough eating seeing how tender squid is.

13. MisSBoNgLips

MisSBoNgLips Member

squid is usually pretty tender UNTIL you cok it!
    soy sauce is gross and ruins the flavours of everything it touches! thats all you can taste is the damn salt arrgghh yukk
    thats nothing i could eat about 4 squids at once! hahaha

14. biohazard5500

biohazard5500 Member

15. Mind_Explorer

Mind_Explorer Member

Don't people die from eating those all the time because it can suction onto your throat or mouth causing you to choke to death. That might be with live octopus though.

That would just be horrible to eat.