Eat Your Way To Better Skin

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by shameless_heifer, Jun 12, 2008.

1. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I thought it befitting to post this here as it is about, You Are What You Eat.

The Skin is the largest organ in the body and the foods we choose to eat can either blemish or condition our complexion.

Many of us follow beauty regimes to improve our complexion but it's the foods you eat that have a direct impact on the health of your skin, so nurish your skin with the foods you eat.

Natural Help For Your Skin

Kiwi Fruit provide skin with a powerful cocktail of vitamin C, E and potassium.

Strengthens;
    Carrots, Basil, Apples, Garlic, Ginger, Mushrooms, Radishes, Cinnamon, Peppermint, Coriander, and Water Chestnuts all help to strengthen the skin.

Nurishes;
    Peppers and Spicy Foods increase circulation of the blood and carries vital nutrients around the body.

Natural Cleansers;
    The fiber in Oatmeal helps flush toxins from the body more quickly resulting in unblemished skin.

Foods for Youthful Skin
    Vitamin C; found in citrus fruit, cabbage, broccoli, and tomatoes.

Vitamin E; found in avacados, blackberries, vegetable oils, seeds, and nuts.

Vitamin A; found in eggs, butter, liver, cantaloupe, melons, sweet patatoes, broccoli, green and yellow vegetable, apricots, and carrots.

Phytochemicals; Found in dark leafy green vegetables, Potatoes, blackcurrents, Citrus fruit, and garlic.

Selenium; found in brazil nuts, kidneys, lentils, tuna and prawns.

Increase the intake of antioxidents-rich foods and fight off the affects of aging from free radicals.

Food To Nurish Dry Skin

Omega3 fatty acids, which helps to reduce inflamation are found in oily fish, and corn, olive oil and safflower oils

Zinc is found in meat, liver, eggs, poultry, prawns, milk, whole grains and pumpkin seeds.

Lycopene rich cantaloupe and tomatoes help prevent and repair sun damage.

Hyaluronic acid rich cabbage helps the skin retain mosture.

Foods That Help Problem Skin

Pale and or itchy skin may be the result of Iron deficency. Common iron rich foods include red meats, egg yolk, green leafy vegetables, , dried fruit such as apricots, prunes, and raisens, dried beans potatoes, and whole grain cereals.

Scaly skin may be caused by vitamin B2 deficiency. Vitamin B2 is found in milk, cheese, fish, poultry and green vegetables.

Acne prone skin can be helped by eating dark leafy green vegetables, such as spinish and kale, Foods rich in zinc and vitamin E and C are also essential for spot free skin.

The amount of oil in your food can determine the amount of oil on your skin esp if your prone to greasy skin.

Bright Blessings and happy healing
    sh

2. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

Thanks for this entry,SH..
    I'm bit older..but my skin is still O.K.:)
    I take lots of multivitamines...and a lot of stuff..
    what you mention here as well..
    old Tiger

3. shameless_heifer

Hey Tiger,
    Thanks, I always figured that when you see or have clear skin, that the integrity of the skin reflected physical health. Taking from several articals I have read and hands on expreience, I have found that eating fruit and veggies, with pleanty of water can have a deffenate influence on the condition of your skin.

The reasoning behind that is that when you eat right/properly the elimenation process is geared up and releases all the waste products from the body/tissue to be elimenated through the colon and skin. The more nutrients you get from what you consume the more the body absorbs leaving less waste to be elimenated and a smoother complexion to be had.

The Best way I know how to consume enough nutrients without stuffing myself and have a bogged down feeling is to JUICE. You can drink your way to health and have great energy and golwing skin.

Brightest Blessings and Happy Healing
    sh

4. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

It's also very important to clear the colon - it's the primary elimination pathway, so if it's blocked then the body stores the toxins either in fat cells or as spots, acne, etc. on the skin.

The bowel is the *key* to health, well along with the liver. The liver, if congested, won't detoxify the blood as readily, leading to toxins also being deposited - uric acid deposited in joints is at the root of rheumatoid arthritis.

Juicing is all very well SH, but you do need some solids as well - the juicing process will break down the dietary fibre that's in fruits and veggies, and that's very important for a good transit time through the bowel. Of course, you can supplement with psyllium husk or bran, but veggies are a lot nicer!

5. shameless_heifer

Yes, Absoluty, you need bulk in your diet to sweep out the waste and clean the colon, and to feel full.. as a suppliment, I suggest juicing, bc you can get more nutrients to feed the body in juicing. Great for a midmorning/afternoon pickmeup. Like a snack other then carbs and fats.

As the over processing of our foods and the nutrients in the soil are depleated, making the foods we eat less nutrisious, supplimention is essential for optimal health. Tho I do suppliment with herbs, I find that juicing allows me to get the lifeforce out of the juices having a fresher quaility and doing a better job of fulfilling my bodies needs..

With vitamins, you don't get the living source from it as you do with live foods. Wouldn't you agree that fresh is better? But to get the right amount of nutrition with eating foods you'd have to graze all day to get what you need. You can get all the nutrients with juice bc you can just 5 carrots and an apple with a little kale or watercress and you'll have all the nutrients your body needs to preform at peak.

When your bodies needs are fulfilled you feel satisfide and eat less, losing unneeded body weight. It all fits together quiet nicely, with a little excresize.

I take vitamins more during the winter when no fresh produce is availble from the garden. I do freeze some of my juices for winter use but is goes fast and leaves me longing for the next harvest.

Bright Blessings
    sh

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The original Pritiken diet demonised fat, particularly saturated fat, only to give participants premature wrinkles.No wonder it is far less popular than it used to be.

7. shameless_heifer

Yes, this is true, if you are trying to lose weight. I don't really follow a regime, as to say a diet plan. I eat what I want, when I want it. It's just a matter of having only health conscious foods in the kitchen to choose from, and being moderate in the portion.

When in the grocery store I only shop the four walls. I try to stay out of the ilse, as that is where the 'dead items' are. The items with no life force or nutrients in them.

I also try to eat foods that are grown local, say, same region as me, southwest. Keeps you in tune with your enviroment. I try to eat what we grow as much as possible and shy away from imported foods. A lot of them seem to irritate my skin.

When you lose weight, you will have more wrinkles, as the skin has been streched and lost it's elastic quaility. Facial exersize can help tone facial muscle and diminish wrinkles after weight loss.

The topic here is about healthy skin, not necessarily weight loss. Weight loss is just an added benefit from the healhy skin program.

As most folks know diets don't work, you eventually go off a diet and gain all your weight back plus some.. you have to change your eating habits to control your weight. But that's another topic.

Bright Blessings and happy healing
    sh

8. CrystalDove

CrystalDove Member

I once heard one of the cooks from the Food Channel, who is really into healthy food and how to make them absolutely delicious, say that "eating the rainbow" everyday is recommended. That's probably a good way to stay healthy and feed your body the vitamins and minerals that it needs everyday. I think all you have to do is make sure that there's a little variation everyday.

9. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

I have found that oils from fast food and convenience food eek out through my skin within an hour, giving me this nasty feeling and smell. The counter: nuts. Lots of nuts. Nutty oils get secreted too, but they smell better and the skin feels great. It's like and internal moisturizer.

10. ruby-tuesday

ruby-tuesday Member

I try my best to eat as healthy as possible now as I used to eat TERRIBLY. However, I still have acne prone skin. It isn't terrible. I think the most I have at a time is 3 but I would love to have clear skin again.
    I always seem to get pimples in the same spot too... on my chin.

11. shameless_heifer

Try dabbing Witch Hazel with a cotton ball on your troubled areas. Chamomile/rose water after the witch Hazel. Two or three times a day.

12. Padme

Padme Member

I've noticed that when I am constipated that my skin is worse than when I get alot of fiber, it's almost if all the bad stuff gets caught in your system and effects other aspects of your body. I also noticed that skin IS all about diet as my skin was radiant when I went on the paleo diet.

13. ruby-tuesday

ruby-tuesday Member

Thanks for the tip! I shall try it out. Although, after ditching some makeup that disagreed with my skin, I woke up today with no pimples. How nice... and odd.

14. kpbluey

kpbluey Member

Hey guys,

I believe juicing lots of greens to alkalize and cleanse the body and sufficent fresh fruit and raw nuts and seeds really give your skin a facelift and makes it glow.

Also taking MSM suppliment (which is like a cure for acne) in your drinks does wonders and getting exercise and some sun and lots of water.

Also cutting out cooked starches and sugars.

15. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

After wondering why the hell my skin was getting so bad (cold weather DOES play a BIG part for me) I really dug into the dietary causes.

For me it seems my skin quality is most directly linked to the green leafy stuff.

Meat in excess I have directly linked to breakouts. Fast food of all sorts offers even more direct negative results... bad oils and meat are the worst, followed by sugar and then (oddly enough...) fruit!

Fruit makes me red, and is a direct cause of bumps around my lips. Took me a while to figure this out... pineapple is the worst, and any juice on my face leads DIRECTLY to a breakout (aka, around lips). This includes fruit juice, I don't touch orange juice anymore. Kiwi, lime, lemon, oranges... those are the worst. Apples I do love - but after having a few of the finest organic apples from a farmers market last year I just can't touch the supermarket junk anymore.

Soy is another thing that doesn't agree well with me - soy juice (I refrain from calling it "milk") makes me feel very "unbalanced". Rice juice, on the other hand, has offered a great break from water - though the best drink has been green juice drinks (kale, spinach, cabbage, avacado - the naked "green machine" I like alot)

Tea, still up in the air... I don't drink enough to draw any real conclusions... but coffee really upsets my stomach now that I have stopped drinking it for a while.

Dandelions are incredible! The flowers have such a fantastic sweetness to them and they grow so easily! Awareness of these gems must grow - people are polluting the land so an extremely nutritious plant wont grow, in favor of cut grass... WHY???? What is the appeal to cut grass, it being desolate and relatively useless?

Olive oil makes BY FAR... and I really mean it!!!! BY FAR the best lip balm I have *ever* used. It also does wonders as a general moisterizer. Its the difference between off the shelf products not working (or hurting...) and olive oil doing what all those products claim. And as of now I'm dealing with very cheap stuff (still cold pressed extra virgin, or at least so they say :) )... I can't wait to buy some really high quality olive oil and see what a difference it makes :).. but I was amazed when I first rubbed it on my skin and immediately out came a blackhead. Similar effects from aloe vera (fresh from the plant!!!), though olive oil seems to work much better for me.

I smell completely different now too, not considering no more deoderant for me... :).

Its hard to believe the "american" diet is what it is when they are clearly better ways to go. Money needs to come second to health, then we can see major systematic changes in not only the collective health quotient, but the overal demeanor of societies now dedicated to the dollar.

Hopefully this random info can be of some help to someone... I can't really offer recommendations, just personal experiences.