eat the weeds

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by kitty fabulous, Jun 4, 2007.

1. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I have not eaten dandelions in years but I remember that they are good. I would also drink the water that I boiled them in as it is just like Chinese green tea.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Nettles are just like spinach cooked. Older nettles are ok if you discard the stalk as the stalk is far too stringy. I like minced nettles on buttered toast.

3. Bilby

The other day I cooked up what I correctly or incorrectly identified as Purslane. I chopped it up and put it in pot with some butter and coconut oil.

4. Bilby

Yesterday, I cooked up some pasta . In a separate pot I sweated off some fine chopped onion and then added some washed and chopped purslane and cooked it in some butter and coconut oil. Once added and mixed with the pasta I grated some parmesan cheese on top.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Excellent guys!!!!!

mysticblu21 likes this.
  6. Bilby

I eat in season, purslane, nettles (make spanakopita triangles using filo pastry), plantain. I have just discovered marsh mallow plants that I have heap of are also edible.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    mysticblu21 likes this.
  7. Boss_as_Diva_Girl

Boss_as_Diva_Girl Members

I absolutely love dandelion greens and eat them everyday in a huge salad of greens. I usually slice the leaves off the stalks and eat them raw in the salad. Haven't had nettles for years or tried purslane, plantain or marsh mellow plants. Marsh mellow is good for colds correct? Wonder if you can eat these other herbs raw?

mysticblu21 likes this.
  8. Bilby

With purslane give it a good wash, dip in clean (preferably rain water) , boil not steam and remove with a slotted spoon from the water when cooked.

9. pattymary

pattymary Member

There are 2 kinds of purnslane, one that is used as domestic decorative plant , it has several flowers from different colours and spread as a ground cover.Another one is more like a wild purnslane, its leaves are darker than the first one and it does not spread so much, both are edible and one of the leafy plants with the most nutrients, especially omega-3..
    What I noticed about the wild purnslane, he has his own ways to sprout, it is appearing when it feels like, can stay in the ground as long as he wants until he feels like to pop out..The seeds are very small ..
    I eat both raw in a salad and consider them as real vegetables..
    I am joining a picture of the domestic purnslane. DSC03947.JPG

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm not big on dandelion greens... Yesterday I ate some mushrooms though. Mm. They were good. With olive oil, organic no salt seasoning, and some barbecue sauce for the last few in the bowl! :D

I also got some tofu and tempeh. :)

pattymary likes this.
  11. pattymary

pattymary Member

I just took some pictures of the wild purnslane, I was lucky enough to have a few suckers coming out, what is very funny is that this plant is growing spontane DSC04020.JPG DSC04021.JPG ously on sidewalks in the city! DSC04019.JPG

12. pattymary

pattymary Member

Yummy, Tempeh is one of my favourite foods, I want just to know they don t make it with genetically modified soya!
    No salt seasoning, it must be some dried herbs!have you tried the himalayan salt on food?

soulcompromise likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I haven't tried Himalayan salt.

We keep around a nice little organic no-salt seasoning next to the salt and pepper near the stove in the kitchen. It's good! We got it at Costco, and originally learned of it from my aunt.

pattymary likes this.
  14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I am not eating the poison ivy... Nope... not happening.

15. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Weeds can be healthy.
    Though we usually just pull them up and toss them into the trash, some weeds have nutritious properties.
    For example, dandelions are loaded with vitamins A, C, and K—not to mention calcium, iron, and potassium. So consider repurposing those weeds and making them into a salad.

Echtwelniet and roadhogg like this.
  16. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I see it's an old post. But has anyone tried stinging nettle?

skip likes this.
  17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

This grows everywhere around here. It's the most prevalent weed. Fortunately you can easily pull them out by hand.[​IMG]

jimandjan and Echtwelniet like this.
  18. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

Nettlles.....soup/salade/tea
    Dandilions.......salade
    Seven blades...salade/tea
    ect ect.

Dont know the exact english for the different plants/weeds.............but a lots are eatible and nutriues and some hallucinogenic .;)

Before you try, pleas do your research first, a lot are also poisones:D

Mzzls

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

This thread takes me back to my younger days, when I had to collect the blackberries and apples, while my mother was making the pastry for the pie.