East Wind Commune??

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by Tallartist, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Tallartist

Tallartist Banned

Hey, does anybody know anything about the East Wind Commune located in Missouri Ozarks?? Didn't it used to be near Arkansas? Is East Wind a real Hippie Commune where people smoke weed, drop acid, create art, farm and have orgies & celibrations?? Or, is it just a bunch of old people living off the land? I went to the website & they didn't mention anything about the '60s or psychedelics, looked more like environmental hillbilly farmers... I sent them a email but never heard back.
    Does anybody know of any real communes in the usa??

~Bill

2. Eleven

Eleven Member

East Wind has an assortment of people, including hippies. I can't imagine hippies feeling unwelcome there.

East Wind has very successful businesses, and beautiful land. Socially, it has often been a failure. Turnover is high, mental illness is common, and members fight like cats and dogs. It may have changed, and I wish it well.

When I visited, the visitor guide told me East Wind tolerated a member harassing others to the point where they gave up and left. He said it was ironic that the place was dedicated to non-violence, yet allowed harassment, otherwise. Also, I saw a witch hunt atmosphere, in which not-so-popular men were accused of sexual harassment. Once a charge of sexual harassment was made, there was little a guy could do to unconvinced some of the cliques he was innocent. Witch hunt.

But, again, it may have changed.

Oz816 likes this.